After drive tone shapers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 31, 2019.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I was going to buy an Xotic Scott Henderson boost, but even used it's 140 near me, a bit steep. Local shop has a Zvex Channel 2 but no EQ options

I started wondering if a Fulltone Fatboost 3 will work. I see them used as low as 65.

Here is what I am after. A clean/dirty boost thart can act as more EQ than boost. Something O set at unity gain and then tweak as an eq for a slightly jangly tone. Drives would be before it.

What else will do it?

Please don't say Timmy. Tried it twice and not a fan.

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

this might work for you, but it's 199
    [​IMG]

Big in Japan and ChampReverb like this.
  3. s3gle

s3gle Member

I started using a TC Dark Matter for a similar reason this year,

but I was looking for a cheap, nondescript nudge in a vintage hi gain direction. I also tracked with a Timmy a long time ago, wasn't familiar, used it wrong (gain cranked, like my 808) and came away nonplussed. This is all into Fender Tweeds & Blackfaces

What's your amp? Reason I ask, is the Dark Matter makes my drives hairy, but the clean amp without them is bass heavy and out of unity. I only really use it to boost ODs with more gain and an alternate "amp" voice. You can check out the AIAB's like Mooer makes, 001-015 (I don't know for sure what all they are, I'm only recommending them bc they claim to emulate many amp styles and are generally inexpensive, I thought they were all so similar. I didn't really get why they were claiming to sound like 15 different amp models)

What I'm getting at, is if you haven't looked into budget AIAB's from China and so on, they may be more functional than just another boost/gain.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. Potato Monkey

Potato Monkey Member

You check out the xotic super clean? Unity at 0 and up to 12db boost. External switches for some tome shaping. I just picked one up and am enjoying so far.

5. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

DOD Boneshaker. Yes really. Turn the gain all the way down and it’s a cool semi-parametric EQ/boost.

Vhailor and Drak like this.
  6. plextasy

plextasy Member

There are several VFE eq pedals that work well in this context (Rocket, Standout, Focus to name a few). I have the Rocket and really like it both pre and post gain positions. I also love the EP Booster after my dirt pedals but it's not really going to give you eq options, it just brings a boldness and fat and juicy goodness to almost any drive tone.

Adagietto likes this.
  7. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Buffalo FX TD-X

I never had an actual Tube Driver but I imagine they work well for this as well

8. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I liked the VFE Rocket for this sort of thing, but about a year ago I swapped in a Chase Tone Secret Preamp, and I ended up really liking it. Not much in the way of boost, or control for that matter, but I like what it does. Subtle, but really good.

9. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Archer Ikon or Klone derivative, for end of OD boost.

YMMV

KBN likes this.
  10. KBN

KBN Member

I've got a Soul Food with gain down low at the end of my chain. Does nice things for drives. Thinking of replacing it with the Bass Soul Food to have the clean blend.

Daytona57 likes this.
  11. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Mxr 10 band EQ. Better than any od or whatever you can buy. Usually around 100 bucks shipped.

Drak, TaoInMotion and Silver Hand like this.
  12. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

The VFE Pinball tilt EQ might work great also. Tilt the tone towards the treble. Use the low-pass filter to dial back any aggressiveness of the highs, use the high-pass to balance the bass. This actually is how I use it, although as a subtle shift in the direction of jangle.

Drak likes this.
  13. Gabazz

Gabazz Member

I really like the timmy, but I use it as the first gain pedal not the last. Clean boosts/overdrives are better if they are first. I really like the JHS morning glory as the last pedal in my chain to act a bit like an EQ/preamp.

I really like the Soul Food mentioned above. But I do not find it as versatile because it is really mid heavy. But it is a great blues overdrive. Tried the JHS modded version, but it is too clean, and looses the soul food vibe.

Gemini2 likes this.
  14. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I think it is hard to beat a Colorsound Powerbooster for a post dirt eq and Volume boost - there is magic in that circuit. Run a Fuzz into it and be in dirt heaven. There are tons of clones around.

Just yesterday there was Dans pedalboard on TPS and he uses the Banana boost for just this purpose. When he stepped on it Mick said ‚don‘t ever turn that off‘

I just got one of the original 18V from Macaris in London. It sounds insanely good but is unusably loud. Have to look for a master volume with a 10k pot. The clones like Buffalo, Throbak or Banana boost are more user friendly - but they all sound slightly different.

15. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

I just got a ProAnalog Strident VTB and use it as an enhancer after my gain stages. It sounds awesome and to my ear has a very Klonish effect, but without the bass cut.

16. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

If you want to try a cheap option, I use a DOD BoneShaker for this. Has a 3 band parametric eq and not as much drive as you’d expect a pedal called the BoneShaker to have. Also sounds nothing like a MT2 since I have both on my board I know this.

But use the DOD after my drives for the eq section and have been just smitten with the results, which I wasn’t expecting since it to be that great since it was like a $40 pedal. I hear it works great as a bass overdrive too which I haven’t tried yet but probably will soon as I may have some bass gigs coming up.

Drak likes this.
  17. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

And another vote for VFE Rocket and perhaps VFE Dragon with the drive near zero, Level up with the LPF clockwise and knock down the HPF

18. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

This! That pedal will give plenty of clean boost and give you more tone shaping flexibility.

19. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

20. saltbird

saltbird Member

Unless there's something I missed, why are you looking at boosts if you're not wanting to boost your signal? I would say any decent EQ pedal like Boss, MXR, etc, will do what you're wanting.