After not being a goldtop fan...after getting one...I've seen the light!

kingsxman

Silver Supporting Member
My Eastman SB56. Like many others in this thread I hated gold tops then one day it just clicked that they were awesome and decided that my next LP would be a gold top. Now they get my attention more than any other finish. I shopped for a lot of a Gibsons until I ran across the Eastman and it was so beautifully built and played so easy and sounded amazing with the Lollars. Their gold is more matte/satin with a vintage nitro finish and the color isn’t as deep as other Gibson and other makers’, but it looks fine on this one.

That is a really good looking gold color! Like it. Got a pic without the strap?

Vox66

I already have a ES-295 and ES-335 both all gold.... now I have a ‘57 VOS goldtop on its way to me........I guess I like goldtops!

SFW

I absolutely love my 2001 Classic gold top. I bought it in 2003, and really had never thought about owning a gold top before then. Now I cannot imagine not owning this guitar. It is on its second refret, and is my number one guitar.

Steadfastly

Not picking, but do you look at a blue guitar and think fake sky or fake water?

I'm sorry you hate what most of the people on this thread seem to really enjoy.
Nope, just not very pleasing to me. Don't be sorry for me. I rather like my opinion and have been living with it just fine for over 65 years. :)

teleman1

Mike, I have a gold bar I keep. I held it up to the screen and it looks so authentic, GREAT COLOR. Never seen a better interpretation of Gold. THAT is the way it should be!

kingsxman

Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was more directed at the "replica" part... (i.e. FAKE!!!). Regardless....he's entitled to his opinion.

I like them. The guitarist in the jazz band at my mom's restaurant had one back in the 80s, when I was young and had gotten my black Standard.

I would love to get a 70s Deluxe and do the Mike Ness thing to it (rip out the minis and drop in p90s). I also absolutely love JJN's Ole Red which is a goldtop that got a red spray over the top. Is that sacrilege on this thread?

mjross

Well, what ever you do, don't let jumping@shadows touch your guitar... He did this to the last goldtop:

...and they turn out looking something like this!?
Pretty amazing what can be under a Gold Top. I just purchased this 1998 R7 Gold Top converted to a “59” by RS Guitar Works. Strange what they will paint over.

Strumlord

That’s a sweet looking guitar.
I didn’t like Gold Tops as much as I do now, I’ve really grown to like them a lot.

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
I used to find them ugly, then i got a PRS CE22 with a goldtop, and it grew on me, a lot, i love the look now

rockabilly69

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone else have this change in goldtop perception?
Yep, a few ago when I got my R7, but unlike yourself, I've always thought they looked great, especially the vintage ones. What drove me to getting my R7 was the ability to get a guitar with the changes they made in 2014 (hide glue, more accurate neck shape/profile, goldtop color change, truss rod without the plastic sheath, etc), for less money than a flametop. Soon as I got my goldtop I knew I had made a good decision. Then recently I picked up the P90 version, and man, is it a beast of a guitar...

2014 R7

2019 R4