After some input on a few guitars..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Turi, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

..so I put my sweet SG up for trade - looks sick, sounds sick, for no apparent reason I'm not bonding with the neck though.
    Which feels nice.
    Not as nice as my Strat though tbh.

I've had a couple of offers for trades already, they are:

Gibson '67 Flying V Re-issue
    G&L USA ASAT Classic
    Gretsch G6119 Tennessee Rose (with TV Jones Powertron pups)

I've had a geeze at prices, incase I need to sell for $$$ down the track and the G6119 seems to be the best one for that - I also play loads of rockabilly so it makes the most sense.
    Beautiful looking guitar too.

The others I don't know diddly squat about and would love to get some real input on them.. pros, cons, etc etc..

The Flying V has me a little curious - never touched one before, not into the shape - are they alright? Is the 67 re-issue as good as a Standard? Do they do Standard V's??

How does the ASAT Classic compare to a USA Fender Telecaster?

I can try the V out in person, the others are interstate.

What would you do?

They all have things going for them - I LOVE Teles and big hollow bodies - I'm SURE I'd be happy with either the Gretsch or the G&L - why is it more expensive than a 'real' Fender Tele though?
    These go USED here for like $1500.
    A USED Fender Tele, $1100 all day long.

What gives?

Any and all input would be awesome I'd love to stop searching for "the one" >_<

2. mughead

mughead Member

maybe its the scale length you dig?

3. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

If you felt the SG sounded 'sick', I'd have to say go with the V - the others are going to sound much more different after the SG. The ASAT is maybe slightly beefier toned than a Tele, but tonally close. The Gretsch will be much brighter, and the construction will make it seemed comparatively mid-scooped too, not to mention a very different feel. What else do you have (and like), and what kind of music/guitar sound are you chasing?

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

G&L makes really nice guitars, but they're not as close to the Fenders they look like as you'd probably expect.

Vs are nice also. IIRC, the 67 is slightly less expensive than an SG, but they're close. They play as well as or better than SGs, but I found with the added length, I was always bumping into things.

I'm sure the Gretch is nice, and it's probably the most valuable of the three, but they feed back way too easily for the kind of music I play. If you use anything more than a light to moderate crunch, they're not a good choice.

Out of the four guitars you've mentioned, I'd keep the SG. Failing that,
    G&L
    V
    Gretsch.

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

For me, a V is not an option. Can't play sitting for the most part, and it's just a little too weird looking for my taste.i have only ever heard good things about ASATs, but no first hand experience. As for the Gretsch, it does sound like the best "fit" from what you have described.

6. Turi

Turi Member

Maybe, never thought too much into that though.
    On the SG I naturally grab it two frets too high - when I play standing up, I find I've got to like, stretch to the side a little to play in the right key.
    Which doesn't feel or look natural at all.

Yeah the SG sounds great. Amazingly good. I've had both a Tele (MIM Fender) and a Gretsch (g5420t) in the past and really liked both though.
    Both are a better fit for what I play even though I think the SG sounds better than either.

I play through a VOX AC4C1-BL or S-Gear 2, and and I play (or at least try to play) rockabilly stuff.
    Even though I play rockabilly, I still like to play Dire Strats and other stuff which might require access to the upper frets - I found this a little bit of a pain on the G5420T but not a major pain.

I think I could work around it if I really bonded with the G6119.

This is why the ASAT makes a little more sense - it'd cover everything I want to play, and both look and sound the part.

The V, well, I'd look like a dick playing "Rock This Town" on a V - but hey, it's local at least - I'd be an idiot to not at least try it out I suppose.
    I really hate the look though so I'm afraid I'd flip it again. -_-

The added length wouldn't mean I'd also be playing it 2 frets too high naturally, like the SG, would it?

How close is the ASAT to it's Tele counterpart? Do they still have a nice warm neck pickup, and a really twangy bridge pickup?

I'm pretty sure this particular Gretsch actually has painted f-holes (lol) which wouldn't feed back at all.. I never had any problems with my g5420t feeding back and I was able to crank that pretty loud.

Keeping the SG isn't really an option - my fiance complains about it's looks every time I play it and I'd rather not put up with that crap.. lifes just easier that way, haha.
    She loves big hollowbodies, so her favourite would be the Gretsch no doubt - but she also doesn't mind Telecasters, never complained about my MIM Tele (which I stupidly sold for a POS Strat which led to this guitar chase - I was happy with that fakking Tele >____<)

I feel the same about the V but I've read you can put one eh.. leg? under your leg and you can actually play it sitting down without touching the guitar with your hands.
    I read this makes them really good for playing guitar at a PC or whatever.

Same for me about the ASATs - only heard good things, in fact there's a member here who's name escapes me that posted up a little Cream-type blues jam with his brother/dad/friend (can't remember which) and I thought it sounded so good.
    Obviously I'm not that guy though. But still, very very nice sound.
    Really ballsy.

The Gretsch is definitely the best fit for me and my band.. ehhh decisions decisions.

I think I'll go for the Gretsch. I was thinking about it all last night.
    My fiance is sick to death of me flipping guitars (yet she's complaining about the SG - why not stfu and be cool about it?).. her fav is big hollows.
    I play rockabilly music. It's worth the most if we get into a pickle.

Makes the most sense no matter how I look at it.

Oh it also looks amazing. That deep cherry red is so good.

I'm just a littly iffy on "simulated f-holes"...

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

When I talked about the V's length I mean the tail end of the body. Maybe it was me, but I kept banging it on things.

The ASAT and Tele are similar, but they're not the same guitar. I don't really know how to describe it.

F-holes look real to me. Gretsch describes them as "Bound Oversized "F"-Holes"

I don't believe I'd let somebody else tell me what guitar to play.

8. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The playing 2 frets too high on the SG could well be where the strap button is located and the amount of neck sticking out from there, rather than scale length. Your arm simply has to reach farther from your body to play the same notes you reach more easily on a Strat.
    Consider that geometry when you choose.

9. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

Reading your own follow-up compliments, I'd suggest trying a Duo Jet, a Cabronita and (TGP will cringe now) a Peavey Buckingham and an Epiphone Swingster. The latter two may be cheapies, but they're great rockabilly guitars.

10. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

I don't know what you're asking with this question and i don't know what the thought process was to form this question.
    It is very perplexing.

11. Turi

Turi Member

Oh fair enough didn't realize you meant the back end of the V.
    Yea the holes are simulated on some of this model.. Dudes selling the gretsch anyway though now..

I wouldn't let anybody else tell me what guitar to play either but I'd rather not deal with the whining.
    Life is just easier if the missus is happy.

Ah fair enough. Yeah. Still feels weird though. And looks weird for me.

Yeah the swingster owns I've played one - not worth a trade on the SG though haha.

Could be a thought in there future. I'd love one.
    Well on the SG I have to reach a little further to the left to play in the right key.
    Was wondering if it was the same on the V.

12. mike361

mike361 Member

Traded a Gibson tribute lp for a USA Tele special, and I am very pleased with it. You could wait for the right guitar, or take the asat. SG's are sought after and you shouldn't have trouble getting something you want. I would wait.

13. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah, I could wait for the guitar.

I showed my fiance the ASAT and she said go for it - so that's that.. went for it..

Already shipped my SG off. Now I just pray the other guys legit and actually ships the ASAT, lol. :////
    I got insurance though :)

Looking forward to trying something besides Fender/Gibson!

14. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I guess you can tell by my user name I am a huge Setzer fan, but foundout 20+ years ago a Gretsche was not the guitar for me. Out of all the classic designs a V and SG are the two I despise. With a V you have to play standing all the time unless you have amazing balance. As for an SG I love the tone on them but they feel weird to play. Since you owned a Gretsche and play Rockabilly I thought that would of been the perfect fit, especially since you are familiar with them. But you made the choice I would of made and you can play all your Rockabilly licks and songs on the Tele 9like I do lol) and also get an authentic tone. James Burton who is a pioneer of Rockabilly with his work with Ricky Nelson played all those songs on a Tele and almost 30 years later so did Brian May on Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

15. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

Lol, i'm a massive Setzer fan too. Nor do I gel with over-sized hollowbody guitars like the ubiquitous 6120s or 335s... I struggle with the heft of Les Pauls too. Contrary to you, StrayCat113, the only Gibbo I truly bond with is a Flying V - rig it up with a pair of P90s and you have the best mahogany guitar imaginable - they can cover almost any genre and sound absolutely killer... they even do rockabilly (best believe i've wrapped Sexy & 17 and Too Hip Gotta Go over this fretboard countless times). My V is the only Gibbo i've ever owned to reach not for sale, ever, ever status.

And no, you aren't reduced to having play them in a standing position only - if you choose to play them sitting down they actually posture over your leg to sit in one of the most natural, comfortable playing positions you can imagine.

Don't fear the V, they're great axes.

16. Turi

Turi Member

Yeah, well, the dude was selling the Gretsch to someone else in the end - I would have chose the Gretsch.
    But I've been doing some reading and stuff and I'm really excited for the ASAT.

MASSIVE Setzer fan here too!!!

Never knew Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a Tele either, cheers!

Haha yeah, I didn't even check the V out. I showed my fiance a pic of the ASAT and she said yeah go for that, so I did.. if she's happy with my guitar, then I can play it more, basically.
    Wrapped around the little finger I know. :/

I actually really loved my G5420T but the damn neck cramped my hand after half hour of use every time.. that really sucked.. only guitar that's ever done that to me too..
    I could have just powered through it, but what's the point in going through the pain just to look a little cooler :/

Never known a V to have P90s, that sounds cool as to me!

17. mughead

mughead Member

get rid of the fiance :mob

18. Turi

Turi Member

Haha, nah not an option. More than happy with the fiance :p

19. Turi

Turi Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That's a few pics of the ASAT the dude sent me.
    I think its really nice looking.

If it plays anything like my old MIM Tele - the one I stupidly traded which led to this downward spiral in trading guitars - then cool maybe I can be done here.

My fiance told me if I don't bond with this one I gotta sell it, get some cash, and buy one I can actually play for real while we're in the UK (gonna hit Andertons!)

Anyway. How nice does it look?

If looks were all that mattered, keeper! Lol.

20. mughead

mughead Member

Im not being a dick (much) but dude grow some balls!

:mmm