After some mix advice, got comparisons..

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Turi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Turi

Turi Member

Hey guys, I recorded a rehearsal the other day and uploaded it, thought it sounded great through my headphones, slammed it in my car which has a way better stereo system, and it sounded like total mud.
    Also the volume keeps going up and down everywhere.

So I "cleaned" it up a bit, tried to make it less muddy - looking for some pointers, because I don't feel like I've done a great job of it.

I've normalised the clean tracks, and also ran an EQ over them and taken out some low end, because it was recorded in a closed garage.. gets a little muddy like that, you know?

I'm keen to see what you guys think sounds better, and am up for any pointers/tips.
    I'm not concerned at all about making these specific tracks sound amazing, they're just rehearsal clips, but I definitely want to get better at turning these things into something that's at least listenable, in hopes of using them to promote the band with at some point, or just to show people..

I recorded them with a H1. I'm not keen on setting up loads of mics and getting a professional recording, just after sort of tips on how to make one single track be not muddy and sound decent.

Cheers fellas.
    Kinda praying the clean versions are good to go but I think they get a little tinny.

Here's the originals:

Here's the new versions, with less mud:

2. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

One thing I learned about those all-in-one little recorders is that some of them have an automatic input gain adjustment going on. So if they sense the volume being too loud so that it will overload they will lower the input gain automatically. It sounds to me like a few times your clip just gets quieter for no reason I wonder if something like that is going on?

Other than that this sounds pretty clear for what it is. I mean my car stereo is pretty crappy but in here the first one actually sounded better. Maybe just cut out some of the rumble under 50 hertz and slap a compressor on it to even it out some. That's where I would start anyway.

With these types of recordings it also makes a difference where you put that little recorder in the room. I do this with my phone which doesn't sound that great but different positions in the room will yield results that are either pretty decent or completely unlistenable. Maybe just little trail and error is all it will take.

Cool performance, btw.

Turi likes this.
  3. Turi

Turi Member

Cheers mate! First one sounds better?
    Crazy. Lol.

Yeah I could try what taking things under 50hz out.
    The compressors don't even it out for me, I tried.
    Had to normalise em.

I find the volume drops off way less in the cleaner mix, I barely notice the drop at all.

The h1 definitely has an auto-limiter on it, which was on.
    Wonder if turning it off would be better, in my head, I think it'd just peak like crazy the whole time..

MrTAteMyBalls likes this.
  4. 335guy

335guy Member

If you can, run it through an audio spectrum analyzer and see where most of the peaks are. Seems like ( just by listening through my studio monitors ) there are peaks around 5-6 K and not much bass. Even listening through my decent computer speakers with a sub woofer, still not much bass. So, try working with the EQ more and compress it more to give it more even volume and more punch. And btw, I ALWAYS turn off the auto audio limiter on those hand held recorders. They really screw up a recording.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

Turn it off, and set your levels correctly.

splatt and Turi like this.
  6. Turi

Turi Member

I don't really know how to do this but I'm about to do another rehearsal.

Will turn it off and see how it turns out fellas.

Cheers for the advice, I'm positive I can turn them into something listenable and usable for a demo and showing friends/this forum (lol)

7. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Turi likes this.
  8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

really.

Turi likes this.
  9. Turi

Turi Member

Sorry to quote you again, but I took your advice and turned it off and set the levels (cheers @Motterpaul for the link) and it turned out a whole lot better.
    It's still sounding pretty boomy and 'verby because we're playing in a garage, but the volume levels are far easier to work with when I try to work with it for making up some demos etc etc.

Unfortunately, the battery only last 45 minutes into our 2 hour session and we didn't nail any songs, but as far as the recording went, yep, way easier to work with it with the levels being set and auto-level being turned off.
    There's also a lo-cut button I could use to see if it'll help take out some of the mud, kinda prefer to do that later.

Cheers fellas. Think I've got this.

10. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Sublime

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Just to point out the obvious you realize that mud happens when numerous sources compete for the same space/frequency..like kick and bass...

12. Turi

Turi Member

I understand that but accept my band requires both a drummer and a bassist.

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Obviously...but if you have mud, determine where it comes from and for example move it further from the kick or lessen low end on bass.

Turi likes this.
  14. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

I've actually had some good results experimenting with placement within the room, and using some strategically placed blankets/gobos. For sure keep it out of corners where bass tends to build up. In general, higher up and closer to vocal monitors that instrument amps seemed to work best for me.

Turi likes this.