After some pedal advice...

Turi

I've got a EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai that's got some dodgy buttons.

They've been dodgy since I was given it, and I'm not sure what to do.

Basically, when I press them (either tap tempo or bypass), sometimes I get delay, sometimes I don't.
Even the tap tempo button does this.

The dry signal always goes through - the problem is the actual effects of the pedal don't always kick in.

I really, really like the pedal, so what can I do?

I haven't opened it up yet, is it worth opening it up and fixing whatever the problem is?
Do dodgy buttons always = have to send to repairer (do not want)?

I read EHX has some dodgy quality control sometimes - am I best just selling the SMMH and maybe considering brands who don't have such issues?

As it is I'm wanting a few more from EHX, the Cathedral, B9 and Lumberjack, but I really don't want to have to deal with dodgy buttons and stuff down the line.

Are dodgy buttons that mess up like I described an easy fix, or is it basically a write-off?
I can't have dodgy buttons live. :/

Cheers.

I genuinely like the SMMH and honestly would much prefer to fix it than replace/sell it.
I honestly don't want any other delay. Nothing else is as good/quirky imo.
1 sec + reverse mode = base whole career off of this.

matt1969

I would start by cleaning all mechanical connections & components like pots, switches, jacks.....

Turi

So this is a problem I can fix myself?
I've never opened a pedal before.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
When you say "dodgy buttons" I suspect that translates to "faulty foot switches"

A shot of some spray contact cleaner into the mechanical part of the footswitch might be the solution. I would spray the cleaner in to the switch (under where you foot presses but above the case of the pedal- so the fluid actually goes into the component) the press the switch a dozen or so times. Then flip the unit upside down so gravity will let the cleaner fluid move around and click the switch some more. Then spray some compressed air into the same spot as I sprayed the cleaner.

If that doesn't improve the fault, there may be a bad solder joint where the switch is connected to the circuit board. Another easy fix for someone that is not intimidated by electronics.

GreenKnight18

I think TheoDog's suggestion is a sensible approach as well. Try the simple solution first and if that doesn't work start trying to find a local pedal repair person.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
Just to add onto the post about cleaning switches...
I know that pedal has those press switches, which can also be cleaned, and their nut tightened. Tighten all nuts for the jacks etc. to ensure ground. Remove the knobs carefully!
That may be all you need.
Checking further inside could require an entire removal of all your knobs and nuts/washers. Just put them in a bin to keep them safe. Faulty solder joints are not easy to track down; you may want to enlist help of a friend.

Turi

Cheers fellas!

TheoDog - yeah, faulty foot switches. Is that spray contact cleaner something I can get from the hardware shop, or is it like electronics specific spray?
I've only ever soldered anything once in my life but it was a total piece of piss, I'd feel okay with soldering something that wasn't connecting (if I recognise it in the first place).

GreenKnight18 - I'd get ripped off hard getting someone else to repair it here. :/

Lolaviola - cheers mate. I might open it up tomorrow and see what's going on, if I can't tell what the problem is (most likely) I'll update this thread with a pic and hope someone else can see what the problem is.

Need to get me a soldering kit and some of that cleaner spray too.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I buy contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Your posts make me think you are not based in the US, so an electronics shop is what you want- same place you would go to shop for a soldering iron.

Turi

I buy contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Your posts make me think you are not based in the US, so an electronics shop is what you want- same place you would go to shop for a soldering iron.
Yeah, definitely not from the US.
Australian.

Contact cleaner and a soldering kit. I got this.

Turi

Sweet, cheers.

Pretty pumped at the idea of just fixing this pedal myself and not having to ditch it and go off hunting something else.

Very cool.

DaveKS

Yep Deoxit contact cleaner, then I follow with a light, light application of Deoxit gold, just be careful with gold, to much can cause a jumper, it's a conductive liquid/corrosion sheild.

Turi

UPDATE.

Pulled the back off the pedal. Looks cool. Wish I understood all this ****.

Anyway.

Pulled the footswitches out, the bypass one was a total dick to get out because it's connected to the motherboard thing with some kind of computer cable, one of those thick ribboned things.

Anyway, I got it out, gave everything a good clean, put it all back together and wtf it works perfectly.

I've been testing it for maybe the last half hour or so, just bypassing, turning it on etc.. even the tap-tempo switch was making the pedal turn off/no sound somehow before, not not now - works absolutely perfectly.

Awesome.

Way stoked. I should totally start up a pedal repair business now, 'cuz I got this **** in the bag.

Trending Topics