Aftermarket cabinet IR's

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by greiswig, Feb 28, 2012.

1. greiswig

greiswig Member

I have an Axe II, and have made what I hear as pretty good setups for a few amps. One that I am really trying to get is something closer to my D-style ODS through a G12-65 2x12 cab. Using Jay's FF IR for that speaker plus something else got me close, but there's a chewy quality to the mids on the G12-65 that is missing a bit.

Don't know if that is missing from the amp sim or from the cab sim.

Anyway, it gets me wondering about using some different sims from Ownhammer or Redwirez. So I go to the respective sites to see what they offer. Most if not all of the G12-65 options are for a 4x12 cab, which may be why they don't quite sound "right" to me. But I'm wondering more generally

• whether people are finding it helpful to buy some of these aftermarket cabs, or whether the ones provided in the AxeFX are so close to the mark that it's a bit of a waste of money to try something else?
    • do people find the various other mics and positions really useful, or do they just add unnecessarily to the already ample forest of tweakable options?
    • how are the individual "speakerboxes" that Redwirez offers work? E.g. they have a Weber Blue Dog (never should have sold mine), but ...it isn't in a cabinet? Or you put it in the cabinet of your choice?
    Thanks!

2. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

That's explained on their website:

http://redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp

Scroll down towards the bottom under the 'speakerbox' heading:

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Try this first.

Take your speaker cab, make it a stereo cab. Pan both speakers center. Keep on your JM IR that you are using and make the other one an OwnHammer 412 SLM G65. Leave the Mic setting at "none". No room stuff, Speaker Motor at 2.25. Everything else at stock (minimum or off).

Try that on for what you are after. If that does not work, then try other OwnHammer cabs in there already first.

This works with Red Wire too; but you might need to add some low cut and high cut if you use them instead of the Own Hammer.

Then if you find a flavor you like... either stop and play or look into buying the speaker that you like or another IR from that collection that you prefer.

The keys to this are: a) two cabs; one a JM FF; b) pan them both center; c) speaker motor at 2.25; d) no mic.

Retweak the amp block after doing this - you can turn things up or down more akin to analog stuff without it getting muddy or harsh.

4. greiswig

greiswig Member

Thanks, Scott. Yup...the Ownhammer SLM G65 is the other cabinet I'd already settled on as sounding closest to what I want, motor set at 2.00, so I'm glad I'm heading in the right direction. I've never found the "room" effect to be very useful.

So I gather that you haven't purchased any of the other cabs from Ownhammer or Redwirez?

5. greiswig

greiswig Member

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I own everything both Red Wire and Own Hammer have put out - because they are well worth supporting and as a personal rule, I do not talk about things I don't own with any sort of authority. So I bought them all, use many but at this point in time I do not use much past the 212 and 412 Own Hammer Bogner V30's beyond what the Axe-FX II offers stock because I don't need them at this point.