Afterneath Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ajfrye, Feb 14, 2015.

1. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on this pedal. I love the gray area between delay and reverb it resides in. Is it really a unique sound or are there any other pedals I should consider for a similar effect?

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Take a look at the Boss Tera Echo. It can do some spacey stuff but I still find it useful in a live band setting.

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I can't think of another pedal that does quite what the afterneath can - the algorithm & controls are pretty unique.

4. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

I just started a thread on the Afterneath yesterday - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1540483

If you do decide to get it, give yourself some time to get used to what it does. At first I thought I'd made a mistake buying it, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite pedals. It can be downright haunting. In fact, I was playing it just now and it evoked eerie feelings of nostalgia, like ghosts from some old sepia-toned photo were calling to me. Depending on how you set it, there's something about the odd stutters and echoes that rise up out of the signal, as if they're coming from some other dimension. Trippy stuff! :bong

5. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

It sounds like I need to just go for it!

6. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

Tera Echo sounds similar but with less parameters

7. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Depends on how much of a "tweaker" you are! The Yamaha Magicstomp, to me, is a much superior device in this area, but is definitely more difficult to use, as you have to set up the delay taps yourself (there are not many factory presets in ther for these kinds of sounds, even though the capability is there in spades, more so than ANY other pedal out there other than its bigger brother, the UD-Stomp). The really nice thing about this pedal is that it gives you separate modulation controls on EACH delay tap (!) + filtered feedback + stereo, and there are several different algorithms handling different combinations (8-tap delay, 8 series delay, 2x 4-tap delay, etc.) so you can have one large pattern working together or one two smaller ones working separately (like a 4-voice stereo chorus/flanger + 4-tap delay). You can also make rhythmic delay patterns that "evolve" into more reverb-like sounds as the feedback gets going! Lots of great stuff can be done here that you just can't find anywhere else. The main thing I like about the Magicstomp though is the modulation--since each delay tap has it (and it isn't just a "blanket" modulation applied to the whole thing at the end), when the feedback gets going, all the delay times are moving back and forth on their own "path," stretching and pulling on the overall "shape" of the pattern, and producing unpredictable, multi-layered pitch detuning (as much or as little as you want--it's highly controllable).

Other pedals that are great at these kinds of sounds (even if there is less control available) are the Eventide Timefactor, the Strymon Timeline, and the Eventide H9 (the Ultratap algorithm is really nice!).

8. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I am a recovering tweaker (previous axe-fx owner). I do have a Timeline on my board but that is the maximum tweakage I can deal with anymore, and I am looking for at least one more delay/reverb to stack with my timeline/BigSky combo. Not because these pedals can't do what I want but because I want to stack more than one reverb and delay at a time.

9. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

I would agree with this.

Maybe the Dr Black Supermoon is in a similar vein, though less tweakable. Others do trippy things, like the Lux Liquid Ambience.

10. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

The Afterneath is a gas to stack with other delays/reverbs. At least I enjoy it stacked with my Flashback X4 and HoF.

Also, while the knob set on the Afterneath might seem bewildering, I found that once I got used to what each one did it all became pretty simple to know what to adjust in order to get a certain sound. The pedal can do a lot, and do it really well, but it's not an infinite-possibilities kind of pedal, which might be good if you're a recovering tweaker!

11. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

I have a Mr. Black Ambient LTD, which were recently released in a limited run of 50.

When it came out, people on TGP were comparing it to the Underneath.

Having never played an Underneath, I can't tell you how they compare, though.

But I love the Ambience LTD. for its combination of mult-tap delays and reverb!

12. earwax

earwax Member

H9's Ultratap seems in the same ballpark.

13. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Timeline in "Pattern" mode can do some of that stuff.

14. celticelk

celticelk Member

I think the TimeFactor/H9 Multitap algorithm will do quite a bit of this as well - compare the control descriptions in the manual (http://www.eventide.com/~/media/Files/Audio Support/TimeFactor/Everyone/141131.ashx) to the Afterneath description (http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/Afterneath/cat/13093). Obviously, it's larger and more expensive than the Afterneath; on the upside, you get dual delays in that algorithm (and all of the others), which would give you some potentially-useful additional control over repeat density, plus options for delay hold and expression pedal control, which you won't get with the Afterneath.

15. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

When I think of the grey area between delay and reverb, Eventide is the first thing that comes to mind. In the pedal world, the H9 is hard to beat for this sort of thing. UltraTap, MultiTap and a few others are really great. That said, I don't know the Afterneath at all; I'm sure it has its own bag of tricks.

16. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Afterneath is a super cool multitap delay with a diffusion stage. The H9's UltraTap algorithm is very similar, but I think feedback/regeneration might be missing.

I think the comparisons might be as follows:
    • UltraTap will get you 1-64 taps over a division of time. I'm not sure how many taps are offered with the Afterneath, but regardless, they do not seem to be adjustable.
    • UltraTap will get you pre-delay, which doesn't seem to be an exposed parameter on the Afterneath.
    • UltraTap offers Spread and Taper controls for the taps, so you can create a large, diffused cluster of taps at the start of the phrase that slowly taper off in volume and density toward the end (or vice versa). Perhaps this is similar to the Drag control on the Afterneath.
    • UltraTap offers a Smear control, which I assume functions like Diffusion on the afterneath (this obviously smooths/diffuses/smears the taps).
    • UltraTap offers a Tone control and Afterneath offers a Dampen control.
    • UltraTap has a Chop control. (This does some stuff that I guess I don't really care about.)
    • Afterneath has regeneration. UltraTap does not.

This is all fine and dandy, but set all that aside, and the Afterneath still seems super, super, super cool. The only deal breaker for me was the biggest difference of all: UltraTap is in stereo.

17. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

I just got the Afterneath on Friday (so definitely a honeymoon-period assessment here), and I love it. I bought it for wacky sounds and it has those aplenty, but the nice surprise has been the subtlety. You can pull back some of the effects and get a really nice, haunting reverb that is subtle but still very present. I wasn't expecting that, but am happy to have it on board.

Also, the Afterneath seems to play well with every other pedal on my board. I'd recommend just getting one OP, instead of spending your time considering alternatives.

18. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Yep, this exactly!

19. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

This is such an interesting pedal. I hope they bring it back to production. May have to get both!

20. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

Yep, it is missing! And maybe this is the reason why the H9 version has 64 taps (rather than the Eclipse's 36, in "Ultratap 2")--more delay taps can help "fill out" the sound, as an alternative to using more feedback (which Ultratap 2 did have in the Eclipse, as a pre-multitap feedback delay.

It would be cool to try the H9 with a mixer--if you have the H9 on an aux send, you can feed that signal back into itself, giving you back the missing feedback :) I'm sure some amazing sounds are possible this way, since the whole multitap pattern would be fed back into itself, and not just one pre-multitap "feedback delay."

Actually they call it Slurm, and it pulls double-duty for both smearing/diffusion AND modulation (maybe it's really a "diffchorus"? like from the Eclipse). Whatever it is, it's got to have quite an effect on the overall sound. Modulation is usually a great enhancer for these kinds of things, and would be even greater with feedback! I don't know if the Afterneath has any modulation built-in, but this is definitely one thing that'd be a game-changer for me (along with stereo, of course!).

Getting a little off-topic here, but I have a question for the H9 users that have used the Ultratap mode with an expression pedal, or the "ribbon controller" for iOS: if you link the Spread parameter to the expression pedal/ribbon controller and move it back and forth, how does it behave? Does it sound "jerky" or get "zippering," or is it "smooth"? (and if it is smooth, does that only happen when it's done slowly?) I'd really like to know, because if it is smooth (even only at slow rates of change with the exp. pedal/ribbon controller), that means it can be used with an EHX 8-Step (or something along those lines) for realtime modulation of certain parameters, and I believe there are some truly amazing, "evolving" soundscapes that would be possible when the signal is fed back into it, but the spread of the taps keep changing over time. Even better if the Tone control can be smoothly changed too (I'm a little more optimistic about that one). After working with Lexicon gear, I know that sometimes these things work and sometimes they don't, depending on which parameters/algorithms you pick (multitap delays in the Chorus+Rvb algorithm will change patterns smoothly--or "glide" as they call it--whereas delays in the M-Band+Rvb algorithm won't).

Anybody tried it?