Again with that 80s sound.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhammons01, May 13, 2008.

1. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

First off, I was searching last night and I found this thread

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=314716

And here is another guys suggestion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhnMCMIrasw

But his suggestion is to buy something that is no longer in production.

So I did search...just that in that last thread there where tons of suggestions for finding old things in peoples closets to try to duplicate the sound.

Trouble is, without wanting to search ebay and craigslist for 20 year old items...... What could be purchased today at GC or Musicians Friend to get that sound?

Let us just start from Scratch...say I have just a guitar and an amp what would we need. Currently we have a B52 AT-112 Tube amp or an old Fender M-80 SS amp, an SG, Gibson RD Artist, Schecter Diamond series, plus a few others lying around.

I have effects here and there....but throw them aside so we don't confuse things.

Where do we start??

2. dave s

dave s Member

the guy in the vid doing the def leppard stuff has a pretty darned good 80s tone. Seems his '80s engine' is an ART processor? Look for one of those!

dave

3. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

That guy is really good, plus he figures out and tabs new songs really quickly, He already has "Nine Lives" down note for note.

But see, you went where we can't go....sure I could wait around and get an ART ??1000 or whatever it is called, but they aren't made anymore.

This thread is focusing on what is out there on the shelf today.

4. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Chorus and delay plus your amps should get you at least as good of Def Lep sound as the guy you linked to. There is not much more to their tones. I know you don't want to find old gear, but various Rockman, ART, ADA, and Digitech gear will get you those sounds. Check out some of the current Zoom and Digitech gear (new DSP 1101, or whatever it is called).

5. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

I was looking at a Rockman for a quick and easy fix. May I ask, is the current one that is available on MF the same as the old ones?? Are there different ones or different versions that I need to be privy to?

6. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

7. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

That Fender M80 amp is killer for the 80s stuff. It has a ton of gain and I think it has stereo chorus. You'd probably be set with just a delay after that.

I think most people could achieve these sounds pretty easily, it's standard 80s stuff, which was pretty heavy on the chorus and delay, the clean stuff was super compressed.

8. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

9. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Wasn't the sustainer the old Rockman rack compressor?

10. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

look at the edit I posted for what he was saying.

11. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

Thank you very much, that search answered very well

Fernandes Sustainer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Have questions? Find out how to ask questions and get answers. •​

Jump to: navigation, search
    The Fernandes Sustainer is a device fitted to the electric guitar, usually in models produced by Fernandes Guitars, but it is also supplied as a kit for fitting to new or existing guitars.
    It works on a similar principle to that of Michael Brook's Infinite Guitar, and can be considered a commercial version of such. It is not the first such attempt, and its main commercial rival is the Sustainiac, used on many Hamer electric guitars, such as the Chaparral, Diablo and Californian superstrats, as well on most Jackson electrics such as the Phil Collen signature PC-1 and other various Soloist and Dinky models.
    When activated, the note from a standard guitar pickup is amplified and fed back into a separate pickup coil. When this additional impulse is in phase with the string vibration, the result is a continuous sustained note.
    Both the Sustainer and Sustainiac infinite-sustain devices feature a special-design humbucking pickup usually placed in the neck position and two mini-toggle selector switches for mode selection (fundamental, harmonic and blend). The whole system is driven by an active on-board circuit with a 9V (or 18V) power supply.

12. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

So the Sustainer He is mentioning is an active circuit similar to the Compression and Expander found in my RD Artist?

13. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Duncan JB + superstrat + Floyd Rose + Chorus + Delay = 80's pretty much.

Actually, I've got the perfect solution for you but you'll have to go used.

An ADA MP-1 Preamp + any stereo digital delay + stereo power amp in a rack will TOTALLY nail the 80's hair band tones.

14. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

The fernandez sustainer (as endorsed by Phil Collen) is esentially an Ebow built into the neck pickup (and also serves as a standard pickup when bypassed).
    I had the Collen jackson for a while and it was extremely usefull for ambient stuff and had HUGE sustain. It takes a lot of discipline in terms of string muting to use it corectly but I had a lot of fun with it.

It's not the same as the RD Artist C/E because that function only enhances the sound going into the FX unit and the real sustain is left to the guitar.
    The sustainer on the other hand makes the STRINGS ring out longer (indefinately if you want), thus producing a much more authentic bow sound.
    One of the finest exponents of sustainer use is With or without you by U2, one of the first recordings to feature the prototype sustainer. The sustainer also features something like an octave mode.
    If you refer to Def Leppards 'Hysteria' album, you can hear it everywhere. The 2 minute intro to "gods of war" was recorded using multiple sustainer setups.

Steve Vai took a lot of flack for pretending to use his tongue and blowing on his strings to produce the octave effects with one a few years ago (we got to play support at one gig and I knew it was a fernandes immediately),

here's the evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxEw_08eQ4s&feature=related

Notice how he flicks the octave switch with his thumb whilst pretending to lick the strings. Fraudster!!!!!!!!!!!

15. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

all this Def Leppard talk sent me to youtube to hear the real thing and relive my formative years... anyways...

I didn't find the youtube guys tone quite spot on for Def Leppard, but was very indicative of the late 80's/early 90's "pre-grunge" (not really) rock sound. Actually, I found his tone a little too thick and not quite as focused as I hear on Hysteria and similar albums.

There are a couple of ADA preamps floating around in the emporium right now. I would think with the right eq and gain staging, you could get a rough approximation of the your goal tone into either of your amps.

Def Leppard were pretty huge supporters of Randall's SS amps, in particular for that focused tone that many other tube amps of that period did NOT have (possibly too saggy).

To me, a lot of that late 80's tone is very hi-fi. No doubt due to the growing digital effects market of the time (everything from hardrock bands of this period sounds like it was run through a ton of chorus and reverb). Even the vocals sound super-processed. To me, it has always seemed like modeling technology appeared about 5-10 years too late (though of course it has developed into its own unique sound).

Again, ADA , ART preamps, some of the early Marshall preamps can be found for the same price as an upper end mass produced pedal, with a tone of flexibility.

have fun... back to Def Leppard In the Round on youtube...

joe

16. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

Joe, you da man.

That was the kind of info I needed, I learned a ton just now.

Understand, I've not played in 20 years and my kids got me back into playing. A lot has happened in that meantime. Even in the 80s I didn't know what they were using to get those sounds, nor did I have the money to buy that kind of gear....

17. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

This is fantastic

[​IMG]

18. madscientist

madscientist Member

Like I said in one of the other threads, for an instant '80s sound this will do it:

1. Lovepedal PP800 (absolutely nails the '80's guitar tone better than any OD pedal I've ever tried)
    2. Boss Super Chorus
    3. Any type of digital delay
    4. Boost pedal for leads

Honestly, I don't think it even matters what type of amp you're using. Set it clean, and the pedals will get you there.

19. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

Yeah, but that other thread was so full of this and that...it was confusing

This one is still focused