Agape guitar on order, though without any rush...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mikealpine, Aug 9, 2017.

1. martyncrew

martyncrew Supporting Member

That neck joint - wow.

rich_chaffins likes this.
  2. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Rich, that is looking beautiful! That neck heel is going to be super comfy!!

rich_chaffins likes this.
  3. rich_chaffins

rich_chaffins Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, Marty! I believe that just because you prefer a certain body style, you shouldn’t have to have a less-than-optimal playing experience. I always loved the T shape, but it drove me crazy when my hand hit the hard stop of the heel.

mikealpine likes this.
  4. mikealpine

Thought I'd bump this up a bit, hoping Rich might add some more recent pictures. It's clear we're taking our time on this build, which is exactly as I asked Rich to do when we began the process. He has been great about keeping in contact, asking questions along the way, making sure we're headed in the direction we both expected in terms of overall look, and so on. He added some personal touches to the guitar, on the back he included some inlaid circles that have my daughters' and my wife's favorite colors. Speaking of the back, he had me take a dozen pictures from all directions, sitting and standing with an existing guitar, so he can carve the back contour to match my physique and playing style. That's going to be awesome! If you like close enough to him, he takes the measurements in person, but this should be more than enough, and definitely more personalized than any other guitar I own. He sent me pictures of different stain colors to be sure the guitar will have the look that I am hoping for. It's been a lot of fun getting to know Rich, and I am looking forward to having this guitar in my hands. We're thinking mid-end February. Pretty exciting!

OK Rich, drop in some update pictures, please!!

rich_chaffins and football like this.
  5. rich_chaffins

Heard and understood, buddy! :D

The aforementioned control plates in his wife and kids' favorite colors (got the pastel blue in yesterday, no pic yet). Particularly loved the choice of "Black. Like my soul." from his oldest. Padauk for his wife, pastel blue over the myrtle pictured here for his youngest.

[​IMG]

Got the first wash coat of dye on yesterday. This is after it was tamed back a bit:

[​IMG]

Headstock detail. Torrefied maple neck, a layer of sapele from the body, black veneer accent, and spalted maple top with a bit of dye.

[​IMG]

6. mikealpine

Beautiful, Rich, thanks so much!!

7. mikealpine

Just wanted to add that I hear from Rich when there's an update that he thinks I need to know about. He let me know that, when sanding between coats of stain, some of the inlay material he used to fill in the holes broke up a bit, he needs to refill a couple a little bit. That pushes the delivery date back a little bit. It was good to hear that from him, and I know I won't go chasing after delivery details. He's been great with communication every step of the way.

onwingsoflead likes this.
  8. rich_chaffins

Here’s some pics of the finishing process! Love how this one is coming together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mikealpine

That is just the coolest wood! The natural binding is beautiful against the darker browns. Very excited to see this getting closer to completion!!

10. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Thats ****ing Impressive !!!!!
    Haven't been that blown away by something in awhile

rich_chaffins and mikealpine like this.