Agape guitar on order, though without any rush...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mikealpine, Aug 9, 2017.

1. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

That neck joint - wow.

rich_chaffins likes this.
  2. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Rich, that is looking beautiful! That neck heel is going to be super comfy!!

rich_chaffins likes this.
  3. rich_chaffins

rich_chaffins Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, Marty! I believe that just because you prefer a certain body style, you shouldn’t have to have a less-than-optimal playing experience. I always loved the T shape, but it drove me crazy when my hand hit the hard stop of the heel.

mikealpine likes this.
  4. mikealpine

Thought I'd bump this up a bit, hoping Rich might add some more recent pictures. It's clear we're taking our time on this build, which is exactly as I asked Rich to do when we began the process. He has been great about keeping in contact, asking questions along the way, making sure we're headed in the direction we both expected in terms of overall look, and so on. He added some personal touches to the guitar, on the back he included some inlaid circles that have my daughters' and my wife's favorite colors. Speaking of the back, he had me take a dozen pictures from all directions, sitting and standing with an existing guitar, so he can carve the back contour to match my physique and playing style. That's going to be awesome! If you like close enough to him, he takes the measurements in person, but this should be more than enough, and definitely more personalized than any other guitar I own. He sent me pictures of different stain colors to be sure the guitar will have the look that I am hoping for. It's been a lot of fun getting to know Rich, and I am looking forward to having this guitar in my hands. We're thinking mid-end February. Pretty exciting!

OK Rich, drop in some update pictures, please!!

rich_chaffins and football like this.
  5. rich_chaffins

Heard and understood, buddy! :D

The aforementioned control plates in his wife and kids' favorite colors (got the pastel blue in yesterday, no pic yet). Particularly loved the choice of "Black. Like my soul." from his oldest. Padauk for his wife, pastel blue over the myrtle pictured here for his youngest.

[​IMG]

Got the first wash coat of dye on yesterday. This is after it was tamed back a bit:

[​IMG]

Headstock detail. Torrefied maple neck, a layer of sapele from the body, black veneer accent, and spalted maple top with a bit of dye.

[​IMG]

6. mikealpine

Beautiful, Rich, thanks so much!!

7. mikealpine

Just wanted to add that I hear from Rich when there's an update that he thinks I need to know about. He let me know that, when sanding between coats of stain, some of the inlay material he used to fill in the holes broke up a bit, he needs to refill a couple a little bit. That pushes the delivery date back a little bit. It was good to hear that from him, and I know I won't go chasing after delivery details. He's been great with communication every step of the way.

onwingsoflead likes this.
  8. rich_chaffins

Here’s some pics of the finishing process! Love how this one is coming together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. mikealpine

That is just the coolest wood! The natural binding is beautiful against the darker browns. Very excited to see this getting closer to completion!!

Daniel Travis likes this.
  10. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Thats ****ing Impressive !!!!!
    Haven't been that blown away by something in awhile

rich_chaffins and mikealpine like this.
  11. rich_chaffins

Polishing the frets on Mike's lovely Eve this morning. Here's a pic with the final accoutrements. Smoked transparent plexiglass pickguard which strikes a nice compromise between having a guard and not covering up the wood. McNelly Cornucopia (B) and Stagger Swagger (N) pickups, Hipshot hardware, Jescar frets.

[​IMG]

mikealpine, football and Dan Coughlin like this.
  12. mikealpine

This looks amazing!! I love the pockguard. Rich said he’s gig-testing it this weekend, can’t wait for the report!

Rich, if you are able to record some of that, it would be awesome! If not, not. Thanks for posting this, buddy!

13. rich_chaffins

A quick little bit I shot while doing some finesse setup on Mike's Eve...before I reversed the lead wires on the switch. D'oh!

mikealpine likes this.
  14. mikealpine

Rich, the guitar sounds huge! That bridge is very powerful, should be able to be easily heard alongside my LP-playing buddies. The the neck is sweet and should be perfect for a lot of the rhythm parts I play. Must be pretty light, too, with the chambering, can't wait to get it up here, buddy!

15. rich_chaffins

She's on her way to Mike this week! Snapped some shots before I packed her up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mikealpine likes this.
  16. mikealpine

There are so many elements to this that I really love. The custom carved belly and arm contours, the comfy neck joint, the coloring, textured look of the top, the personalized pieces representing my wife and daughters, etc. So much thought went into creating this. What made this more fun than any other build is the time Rich took speaking with me about more than just guitar. Of course we talked about what makes a guitar great or not great to me, things I really want and things I want to avoid, the sound I wanted, etc.. But more than that, we spoke about my family, interests outside of guitar, anything else that Rich could use to make the guitar even more meaningful and personal. And in the process we've become friends. This should be in hand later this week. I'm very excited to be getting this. Hopefully some of you will reach out to Rich as well!

17. mikealpine

Picked her up, dropped her off at home. Took the case out of the box after a little while, won't open the case for a few hours. Could have worked from home, but decided to leave because it was too tempting to open the case. This way, I have to wait a bit.

BaoBao likes this.
  18. BaoBao

BaoBao Member

Rick, I assume you named your company after the Greek word for love?
    That is one sweet looking guitar, congrats both of you. I'm not a T-style fan but that is a guitar just begging to be played. Μπράβο!

mikealpine likes this.
  19. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Supporting Member

I can't believe how beautiful this guitar is. That neck joint! Wow! If I was in a situation where I had the means, I wouldn't hesitate! Goodness.

20. mikealpine

Thanks! I mentioned earlier that one of the things that drew me to asking Rich to build this was the way Rich shapes his necks. I met Rich in person, after knowing him here, at a guitar show. I was never at home on a thin neck, and while not Wizard-thin, it is not a "Modern C', which is what i typically play. I picked up this seafoam green Tele that was at his booth and started to play. I don't think I have ever been at home on a neck as I was on that guitar. This guitar has that neck, and I just seem to want to move all over the place with it. I feel smoother, play more smoothly, bend more easily...whatever it is he does, for me the neck is just magic. I picked up my Knaggs Kenai afterward and it just feels so much more clunky. I'm not putting down the Knaggs in any way, but the difference is just amazing.

Daniel, thank you! Everything about this guitar is easy to play. It is lightweight, due to the chambering, and as I just wrote, the neck is beyond fantastic. Looking at it, it almost looks just a hair thicker at the 1st - 3rd fret, then appears to be a little thinner as you get to frets 5 - 9, then looks like it goes back to what it was for the rest of the neck. So open chords are easy to grab, barre chords and leads in the center are really easy to play. I'm playing a few things up around fret 10, and no matter where I play, it's very comfortable. Was messing around higher up, never once felt blocked by the neck joint.

Maybe Rich can chime in and offer some info on his neck design and overall build philosophy.