Age old Quest: Tap Tremolo (Booteek?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by avenerjimmie, Aug 1, 2005.

1. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I know of the line 6, and have heard good and bad things. I hear that it clicks, hums, hisses, breaks, and I hear that it sounds pretty good and is extremely convenient (these I have somewhat experienced first hand).

What I really wanted to know though, was whether anyone was working on a tap trem around here. I thought I remembered Bob Sweet mentioning that he was going to try to work on one? I could very well just be making that up. I do remember a thread involving new trems though, and a few people mentioning working on them.

Also, any news on the Semaphore? Will that thing be expression pedal controllable? I also thought I remembered something about that. Thanks guys.

2. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

i thought the line 6 trem was ok - not great. but the tap is cool.

i have been watching for this for 2 years - i still have not heard of anyone else building a tap trem. love to hear of it.

/i

3. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

The Semaphore does not do tap tempo. It also does not have an exp pedal jack. The third jack is to send a signal out to control the Teaser Stallion when it's in oscillation/chaos mode. The Semaphore is also not ready yet.

I don't think there are any "boutique" pedals that do tap tempo tremolo. The T Rex Beta Vibe had tap tempo, but it was more of a vibrato and it's been discontinued anyway.

The current options -

mod a tremolo pedal to add exp pedal control of speed

use that Third Hand thingy to control the speed

Alesis ModFx Ampliton - does tap tempo, but is designed for line level and would probably do best in a mixer fx send/return setup. AND the tap tempo button is tiny.

Rack units.

Cusack mod to a Z Vex Seek Trem - this one is probably the best current option. Expensive (you have to buy a Seek Trem and THEN add the price of the mod), but you will end up with a tap tempo tremolo, plus all the cool Seek Trem sounds.

http://www.cusackmusic.com/?page=details&type=Products&item=Tap Tempo

4. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

I know this is a few months old, but I thought I would mention that I just released a Tap Tempo Tremolo called the Tap-A-Whirl. It has selectable wave-forms, fade-in, and a "brake" feature that lets you speed up and slow down by holding the tap tempo switch. If anybody would like more info, let me know...

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I am definitely interested.
    I was going to bid on the #6 box, but missed it.
    I am on the Mystoury, eventually.
    I would love to see, hear what your finished product is all about.

email me - nowsmith AT comcast DOT net

6. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

Info us up :)

7. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Left knob sets the waveform. Starting from full counter clockwise, they are currently (but may change):

Sine Wave
    Triangle Wave
    Ramp Wave
    "Blip"
    Bigger Blip
    Square Wave
    "GOOFY"
    "ECHO"

The middle knob is a Depth knob. With the depth all the way down, you will hear almost no difference between on and off. With the depth all the way up, you have a big range.

The Right knob controls the Fade-In. All the way down the pedls turns on right away, all the way up it takes 4 seconds for the have to take full effect. This is to emulate the fade-in the old fender amps had. There is an internal jumper that allows you to change this this knob to control the acceleration of the Brake feature instead.

The left switch is the Tap switch, which sets the tempo, tap twice to set. It also acts as a modified "brake" control. If you hold it, it slows the wave down. If you let go and hold it again it will speed up. In other words, everytime you hold and release it changes direction. Wherever you let go, it will stay at that tempo. The Blue LED will bink to show you the current tempo, at slower settings you can actually "see" the waveform as the
    LED changes brightness with volume. Maximum Tap Time is about 2 seconds, which creates a 1 second waveform.

Right switch is Bypass.

That's about all the info I have right now, hope to have pictures and sound clips on the website in the next week.

Oh yeah, and the price is $250.00.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Cusack! that sounds wicked cool! All my amps have trem, but your invention's taken the idea a bit further on up the road rather than just creating an emulation of something that's already been done.

And that's why my only outboard trem to date comes from a MoogerFooger & an AdrenaLinn. No one would ever mistake those wacky sounds for traditional amp tremolo.

Just took a quick look at your site, but could only find the 'Screamers'. Could you direct me to the correct page, please?

Really looking forward to those soundclips, BTW. Keep us posted!

9. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

Sorry, the Tap-A-Whirl is not on the website yet. I JUST finished building the first batch of Circuit boards, and we are in the process of programming the CNC machine to cut and label the boxes. Should have that done over the weekend. Then once I have a labeled box, I'll take some pictures, and up-date the website.

Thanks for your interest.

10. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

11. Nathan

Nathan Member

Whoa- I'm interested too. I got the Semaphore after months of waiting to find that I really don't like triangle wave shapes as much as sine wave. It really looks like your unit has all the main features of the Semaphore plus tap tempo! Price is higher, but so what? I sent you an e-mail.

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Whoa. That's intensely tasty. This is going on my list...the only thing that would make it absolutely perfect is a sensitivity settng, like the Line 6 mod pedal, which causes the trem to start very fast, and slow down as the note decays. It's the main reason I keep the pedal around -- it's just a great, organic sound.

But the speed adjust & fade-in might take that to another level, too. Hrm....

13. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

We have a Local Guitar player who used the fade-in with feedback. He holds a note in feedback, and then turns the Tap-A-Whirl on. The note with then slowly start to fade in and out as the fade-in brings it to full depth. He did it at a show a few weeks ago, and it was really cool. He was the one who made me put the Fade-In on the pedal, and now I know why he wanted it...

14. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

FWIW, I had a Ooh Wah with the Cusack mod and I was really impressed with both implementation and the thoughtful design.

15. Cusack Effects

Cusack Effects Member

We are Engraving Black Powder Coated Tap-A-Whirls tonight, so John, yours should be on the way Monday!

16. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Can't wait. Thanks! :dude