AGGHHH... Somebody take the DISC SANDER away from him before he strikes again!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by baimun, Jun 5, 2008.

1. baimun

baimun Member

You know my brand new Esquire??? ;)

I absolutely love the Jeff Beck Esquire....
    [​IMG]

... but it may be just a tad too relic-y for my tastes....

... but that didn't stop me from putting a few comfort contours on my new guitar....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know some of you are going to call me an evil bastard and say I ruined the guitar.... but at least I didn't take a hammer or a chain to it and beat it up. In fact, I'm on my way to the hardware store for some tung oil to seal the new contours so they can age gracefully with the guitar.
    Honestly, the guitar fits like a glove now... it now fits right in that pocket between the ribs and hip, standing or sitting. It'll remain part of my arsenal for years to come now. :D

2. doublee

doublee Member

Just chalk it up to (hopefully) temporary insanity and get a new one... play it ALOT and leave it be................:)

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

If it works it works,ya know,it's a tool after all.

I wouldn't oil it though,you won't be able to refin it in the future if you decided to,so i heard,the finish won't stick to the oiled wood,(or have i just made that up?).Might be worth refinishing it,or keep that option open,if it's comfortable now and you think it's a keeper.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

But Jeff has the best alibi ever. "I swear Mr. Fender, it was like that when I got it!"

5. fazen

fazen Member

It's your guitar. Do what you want with it. If you feel it's more of a keeper now, then you did the right thing. No need to worry about resale.

I love the rosewood neck on that one.

6. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

mmmmmm rosewood over blonde...

I've been wanting one of those. A fella name of Steve played on once...

If you want to see him with it in action get a copy of "Respect yourself: The Stax Records story"

7. DonM

DonM Member

is that just a MIM 50's body I hope?

8. playon

playon Supporting Member

I do that to all of my Telecasters now, my shoulder bugs me if I don't put the arm contour on there.

[​IMG]

9. biggreen

biggreen Member

Keep going, carve that top horn out and you'll have a sweet stratsquire.

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

I'd like to have those fore-arm and rib cage relief cuts on my Tele. I think there was a CIJ or MIJ model that had them, but I could never find one when I was looking. If I were to do the shaping myself, I'd follow it up with a refinish job ... just personal preference.

11. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

And people complain about relicing?

If a Tele doesn't fit, Fender makes this other guitar called a Strat...

But it's your guitar and if you're happy, so am I.
    As long as I don't have to look at it.

allen

12. gregc

gregc Member

I'm not a relic fan but I LIKE what you did. Good for ya!

13. baimun

baimun Member

Looks like I need a second pass... I really like the size and shape of the contour you've got there.

I really think it helps both mine and yours that we're starting with translucent finishes that aren't that far removed from the wood color. It's not like I took a bright red Esquire and carved the side off.

14. playon

playon Supporting Member

Frankly, I don't give a sh*t what it looks like, up to a point. It is a player guitar. I will probably refin it someday though because I don't care for the mustard yellow color (it was that way when I got it). This is my favorite tele, a mix of vintage and boutique parts that sounds so good that when i found it, I sold my '51 blackguard.

Strats are a whole different thing, with all that wood removed in the middle for the pickups and the trem -- they can never sound like a Telecaster. Plus cutting a top cutaway in it would make the body too light.

I have this one too, my homemade hot rod, USACG, Guitarmill, HD in the bridge, TV Jones in the neck slot. It also has the the arm cut -- but you don't really notice it with the paint over it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  15. rog951

rog951 Member

I hope he doesn't bruise his forearm with that big, sharp edge!!! :worried

[​IMG]

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

:roll

17. baimun

baimun Member

Nice... :p

I had some hand injuries a few years back that kept me from playing guitar for several years. Once my hands were finally rehabilitated enough to play again, I started taking things like ergonomics more seriously.

The calloused wound on the palm muting edge of my right hand made me rethink tune-o-matics. I still have a scarred chunk of flesh there and haven't owned a Les Paul for many years. Those engineering improvements are one of the things that drew me to PRS guitars. :AOK

18. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit in which it was intended! :AOK

Speaking of ergonomics, I do understand...believe me! I'm practically hunch-backed from playing a Norlin LP for 20+ years! :BITCH

19. James Knox

James Knox Member

Good for you Bro - make the guitar "yours"! In that same way that we would all play different notes for a solo, we all like something different with the tone tools we use.

Play what inspires you - make beautiful music!

Peace,

James

20. baimun

baimun Member

The contours are a bit dark right now because the tung oil is still wet... but the wood is sealed from moisture getting in, and feels nice and slick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]