Agile a real alternative?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by raul, Nov 18, 2005.

1. raul

raul Member

So, i'm looking at maybe getting an Agile Les Paul copy. I wrote to Rondo and asked about the build quality versus the real thing. i was told that it's not the same. but, a good instrument to have around for live shows, beginners etc.

A lot of people around the net swear by these guitars! why? are they that good? with some changes to the pickups, electronics, are they really that good? i need a replacment for my 79 Les Paul custom and am not going to spend that much money again! so, i'm looking at Agile and maybe getting some High Order pickups. that seems like a good alternative. i've even read that some folks like the Agile more so than a real Gibson! makes me want one even more...

So, if these guitars are not the real thing, why are they getting so much praise? i'm really interested in a good guitar but cannot afford another Gibson.

2. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I have had my 2 Agiles for 2 years now. Both with P90's and they sound great. Had to replace the nut and that's all. Read the reviews on HC. I have the DC and the LP copy. the 2500 models.

I have 2 real LP's a classic and a special magogany. Honestly, not a big difference.

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have had an AL-3000 Prestige Goldtop humbucker for about 6 months now and it's easily the best guitar I've owned for $369.95. All my playing friends feel the same way about it too.

I do have new High Order pickups coming for it but in some amps, this guitar rocks. The playability of mine is as good as some $2000 guitar I've played.

4. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

The LP copies would be an alterative if they had 1 11/16" wide nut and stainless frets! :BEER

5. raul

raul Member

ok. so, some of you really like these guitars. i just wonder, is it the fact that they feel different or do they just sound different? i understand about the pickups, but is the feel really that much different? well, i guess it is since it's a different company. but, is that a bad thing, or just something you have to get used to?

do you need to change out the tuning machines, or do those work fine? nothing is worse than an out of tune guitar...

it still freaks me out some a lot of folks just rave about Agiles and say they play better than the real thing. and great for the price! i may have to do it...

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

My take on the LP copy Agiles are that they're a good value but they have two basic problems that can't be easily corrected.

The first, which Gary mentioned, is the nut width. This doesn't bother me since I'm used to switching back and forth between a variety of guitars but it does bother some people who like a particular feel to a guitar.

The second, and this is the reason why I won't buy another Agile, is the heavy body weight. The mahogany they use seems to be very dense and they don't do any weight relief. This results in a guitar that weighs about 12lbs. Even my LP Jr. DC copy tips the scales at close to 10lbs. It also seems to me that this dense wood does not resonate well, resulting in a dull tone in some, but not all, Agiles.

Other than that, they're very well built. I don't think you'll find anything else in that price range that has as high of a level of quality. The tuners are fine. Mine almost never goes out of tune, even when I've left it sitting around for weeks. The pickups are good as stock pickups go but there is always room for improvement. Occasionally you'll see a badly cut nut that needs to be fixed or replaced but you'll find this on any mass produced guitar.

7. raul

raul Member

yeah, i've read about the weight issues with these guitars. part of the reason i now have an SG Special is because it's so damn light, without the frills of the higherend Gibsons, and it plays well enough for me. i love it!
    i wonder how the Agile version of the SG plays? anyone have one? tried one out?

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

9. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I've had 3 of 'em ... they are decent guitars, but the narrow nut doesn't agree with me. I think almost without exception, the stuff coming out of korea (and even China) today is exceptional. I have an Ibanez Artcore 335 copy & it amazes me everytime I pick it up ... faulous guitar for $300 !!

HT