Agile guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrkbrks, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mrkbrks

mrkbrks Member

Just read about these. Anyone have these and are they pretty well made? Looking at either stat or tele style.

2. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

Never heard of them!

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

Do a little search here and you will find lots of threads. They are good Korean imports. Similar in quality to the Epiphone stuff.

4. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

You can pimp them out and they will be better than a Gibson!

5. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

Matter of fact, I think there was a recent thread in which this was the conclusion that was unanimously come to!

6. bismark

bismark Member

I thought you never heard of them?

7. bismark

bismark Member

You're breaking many Gibson owners' hearts (and egos) with that statement. This is TGP. :D

8. pitseleh

pitseleh Member

I'm sorry, I guess you would have to be aware that I'd made multiple posts in the previous big thread to know that I was joking and that I just found it funny that he asked if anyone had heard of them when we've had several threads on the subject in the past week or so.

9. mslmg

mslmg Member

:munch

10. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Heh-heh-heh-heh...
    LOL!!!! :)

Yes, and you can pimp out a Kia that will hang with a Lambo Gallardo LP560-4...

11. cugel

cugel Member

i have one of the lp spcl type agiles. i like to prononce it ah-gee-lay too. sounds french and exotic. they are pretty good for the money i would say. electronics are not top quality and the finish is one of the thickest i have ever seen. after some truss rod adjustment and lowering the action, playability is good.

i am consideing stripping it and going over in nitro as a pet project. would i buy again?? dunno since i am a snob. what made them cool was that the body shapes were really close to gibson. now they arent even close.

12. dkals

dkals Member

Be carefull what you wish for. Here is a link to a Mitsu Evo taking down a Lambo. And it is the Lambo factory driver behind the wheel of the Lambo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AMIoQUCEvY Just forward to the 5 minute mark.

Maybe some day a Kia will take a Lambo.:jo

13. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I haven't seen any of their Strat or Tele style guitars in person, but if the Les Paul or Precision/Jazz bass fiddles are any indication, they make some very fine instruments at ridiculously low prices. I can't imagine you'd be dissatisfied with any of their better versions of anything, but even if you were, you wouldn't be out a great deal of money. It's worth the risk, if you feel there is one. You can see what they offer on a regular basis here. Be sure to look through the whole pile.

14. PixMix

PixMix Member

That's the first step in pimping process.

15. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Here's news, bozo. You can outrun a Gallardo with one of these:
    [​IMG]

That's a Rossion Q1 (aka Noble M400 with a new body style and slightly hotter motor). The motor is a Roush-built twin turbo intercooled (...wait for it...) Ford Duratec V6 of about 3.0 liters.

The Rossion will hit you for $109K. The Gallardo well over $230K. The Gallardo has 560 hp, 398 lbs/ft of torque from a 5.2L V10. The Rossion's numbers are 455 hp, 400 lbs/ft of torque from that 3.0 L V6. But the Gallardo weighs over 3400 lbs, the Rossion about 2500. The Gallardo will hit 60 in 3.7 seconds, the Rossion in 3.2.

Pisses me off a bit, actually, since I've been a Lambo owner ('67 model) since '83. I guess it's unlikely that many Lamborghini owners will ever see the top end of their performance envelope, and most use them largely to impress, but it's gotta be irritating to know that bragging rights belong to a Kia...er...Ford sedan-engined car less than half the price of their fancy italian spread.

16. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Most of the Agiles discussed here are the Les Paul-shaped versions. They piss off the Gibson owners because the Agile proponents are paying just 10-15% of the price of a Gibson for a guitar that they're claiming is as good (or nearly so). The upshot is a series of Agile vs Gibson threads.

I honestly haven't looked at the Strat or Tele Agiles, and the Fender owners seem far more willing to accept new look-alikes to their fold, but the reviews have been mostly of the "incredible guitar for the money" variety.

17. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

I was put off by the stubby horn at first, but it's grown on me, particularly since I've found that it allows my monster paws better access to the upper frets than the standard LP pointy one.

I frankly like the fact that they've begun to stake out their own territory, well beyond that which Gibson is mired in. The new AL-3200 series may resemble an LP a bit, but it's a neck-through guitar with a Carvin-like neck heel (as in, *no* neck heel) and it's got a generous tummy-cut (deeper than the Gibson Axcess). And it's still a true solid-body guitar.

It would be interesting to send an estimate request to Gibson through Wildwood for specs like these:

neck-through construction
    solid body (no cheesing, no chambering)
    full thickness
    tummy cut
    axcess-type neck heel
    solid figured (flamed) maple top
    triple white binding on headstock and body
    single white binding on fretboard
    Ebony fretboard, 16" radius, 1-3/4" wide at the nut
    Custom contour neck, 17mm at first fret, 20.5mm at the 12th, C-shape with only modest shoulders
    Recessed Floyd, locking nut

and see what came back...

18. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

I have two of them, one AL-3100 stock and one of the discontinued AL-4000's that came stock with Seymour Duncan Jazz/'59 pickups. I think they sound and play rediculously well for how much I paid for them. :)

-R.

19. cugel

cugel Member

interesting
    i had no idea they were making neck thru agiles now
    i think both kurt from rondo music and the guy from gfs are very smart guys to really LISTEN to what the players want and then make it happen.

20. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

:hide