Aging, hearing, hands, scale length

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MORE BARN, May 12, 2015.

1. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I find as I get older and I know my ear-ringing is there, I tend to gravitate towards my Telecaster more and more it seems...however, by the same token, I get some minor run of the mill aches in my fingers, which makes me gravitate towards my SG. So easy to play.

I guess for anyone past a certain age, does this sound familiar?

ps regarding the Fender scale, yeah I could drop the strings down a gauge, but the spacing also factors in with the Gibson scale comfort.

2. gigs

gigs Member

55 here and been playing since I was 14. Yeah some tinnitus and hearing loss, but not bad so far. Sometimes my finger joints ache, but nothing that 400-600 mg of ibuprofen can't fix before a gig. The worst part is lifting the 100W amps and cabs and subs and mains, a few times every gig... my back is starting to ache more after gigs.

3. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

54. I've had moderate to serious tinnitus and hearing loss for probably 24 years now. I wear earplugs religiously at gigs and clubs. I've had tendon issues for a long time as well. Last year I went from 10s to 9s on Strat type guitars and Teles. I can set my Axe-Fx so that they still sound full.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I'm in my mid-50's. Fingers and arms are no problem. My back is OK although I'm not as strong as I once was. But, my right leg feels the effects of two accidents (12 foot fall and a car wreck) and a stroke. I like to stand to play but I doubt I could make it through an hour playing standing up now.

I do like short scale guitars but I always have to some degree.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Not young, but health is good. Right ear tinnitus is managed by using earplugs always when playing even moderately loud, or going to see loud live music.

Luckily, the hands seem unaffected. The mind ... well, that's another story.
    MD

6. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Slight joint pain in the fingers, mild carpal in my left hand and a torn ligament in my right thumb, but they haven't stopped me yet. No serious issues.

Hearing aid in left ear, and I should get one in my right as well, but I'm doing OK as it is. No trouble playing gigs regularly.

7. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Yep--I can't believe how much easier the Gibsons are. My SG especially. I don't want to fight the guitar.

8. OOG

OOG Member

65 and went from being a total Gibson (335) guy to a strat in the 80s
    Now it's everything
    Probably helps that I play acoustic and mandolin as much or more than electric

My problem is, besides slowing down, which is good for me
    My damn fingertips hurt like a beginner
    Getting old is quite the ironic trip

9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I have 9's on my Tele and 10's on my Strat and SG.......all about even in playability,though the SG is def more forgiving soundwise (humbuckers)
    I tend not to add more dirt to my single coil guitars,because i want them to sound like Fenders,though i turn up the treble with the SG.

10. dazco

dazco Member

61, major loss of control in my left hand that started around 2000 and rendered my playing almost useless. I regained some of it in different areas to compensate for the things i find totally impossible to do now, many very simple. Extremely frustrating to say the least. But on the good side, no pain and strength is good. Endurance is very bad tho and a few years after the problem first started i began pressing too hard and now have a horrible amount of tension in my left hand.Tried everything but nothing works. I'm just screwed. But, i still play and still love it to death. And when by body allows me to relax on the rare occasion i can still surprise myself at times. I don't have pain in my hands and no tinnitus and i think my hearing is ok. I guess at my age you can't expect much more. But this aging thing is really hard to deal with in so many ways.

Funny thing is, i used to find telecaster hard to play but now it's what i play 99% of the time ! My strat and LP and PRS are all easier, but i just love tele tone and really they don't feel as hard to play to me as they used to for some reason.

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

59 and the hands are going strong...

I do...however...feel like a train ran over me from standing after hauling equipment in and out after a gig...two arthritic knees and a bad back compliments of 10 hours a day of high level playground basketball when I was younger make that the worst part...

I had stiffness in my index finger on my left hand but that was related to an impingement in my left shoulder...arthritis caused a bone spur which partially tore my bicep tendon caused me all kinds of pain...so much that I had to sell all my heavy guitars and play lightweight teles for a couple of years...

3 years of physical therapy...stretching and weigthwork have taken care of that and my shoulder is better than ever...

I have gone back to an 8.5lb Les Paul and it's all I want to play now...best yet I don't feel any worse for the wear...my 7lb tele is waiting in the wings just in case...

I have no preference over scale length but I do love the added sustain and girth that a great Les Paul brings to the party...

12. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

The tendons in my left hand are so stretched out that I have more reach at 63 than I've ever had. When I open both hands to full span, my left opens. 3/4 inch further than my right.

13. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

Been playing over 50 years. Still gigging acoustic and electric. It was really becoming painful until I got a Parker. Light easy to play. Cheap used! Sounds good enough. No fatigue!

14. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

Play a Jaguar -- You get Fender sounds and wonderful scale length. Problem solved!

15. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I'm 56, playing 40+.
    I have some index finger joint pain on my fretting hand, but I really love the Fender scale length - for that snap.

I gig the LP primarily, but use an HSS Strat as a backup gig guitar.

I play a Tele at 7.25, a Strat at 9.5 and Les Paul - which I love too.
    We don't gig much anymore 5-6 a year, but we do play as a band 3 or 4 times a month.

AS far as Tinitus - I have some, and I have some hearing loss per the Doctors - but no hearing aids on the horizon.

16. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

I (50) have some pain in the wrist, where the thumb begins, meets with wrist. I've thought about getting some acupuncture. ALso some occasional finger soreness and yes, tennis elbow, chronic. Luckily when I'm playing I hardly ever notice anything. What do folks do to stretch, take care of fingers and wrist? thx

17. drewl

drewl Member

I'm surprised but my hearing is still really good.

The only time it ever bothered me was when I was drumming in a band. I'd get that cymbal wash hiss going for a bit until I fell asleep after a gig.

That was a while ago, just playing guitar in a band and no ringing or hearing loss....what?

18. Ab347

Ab347 Member

I'm approaching 56 and though in good shape I have my share of maladies. I'm a telecaster player but I hate to admit it I find Gibsons and PRS guitars much easier to play.especially with nerve damage in my hands.

19. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I've been playing 50 years. A Tele is still comfortable for me as long as the neck is big. I recently sold my Collings SJ and got a short scale OM2H. SS seems to make a bigger difference on acoustic. Stretching is absolutely essential for me now or I have problems. I've got a 10 minute routine Mark O'Conner showed me years ago. A four hour gig wipes me out, and gigs on consecutive nights takes two days recovery. But I still do it :)

20. Ed Packer

Ed Packer Silver Supporting Member

I guess I'm pretty lucky.....65 this coming August, still playing out 2 - 3 times a week. Solo acoustic, and I stand when I play. No problems so far except for occasional carpal-tunnel type pain in both wrists if I've had an especially busy couple of days.