"Aging" neck binding?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, Jul 20, 2008.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    This is a hypothetical question at this point because I don't own the guitar, yet, but I'm thinking about buying a SG Classic. A minor peeve about that guitar is its white neck binding. I'm wondering if it's possible to age white neck binding to give it more of a yellowish tint. Anyone do this?

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

the dyed ones look very fake to me, you might try playing the guitar with sweaty hands that's what I do.

3. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Overspray the bindings with a tinted ambered nitro and you d get a perfect result.
    I ve changed some binding on many old Gibson's because of awful fretjobs ( fret tang cutting thru the bindings are a common issue sadly ), you can t tell unless you blacklite the neck. Just make sure you or the person who will do it knows how to mix the color right so it doesn t look fake.

4. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

man............i hate yellowed binding. i wish the Standards (my bread&butter) came with white and not the "creme"
    .....looks dirty to me......like someone smoked on it for years............only thing from stopping me from getting a LP Standard in ebony

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

Most pre aged bindings look wrong, from cream pink to rubber duck yellow ...
    You really want to start with a plain white and build up the aging in the clear coat to simulate the way nitro turns to a rich cognac color with time.

6. b2sc

b2sc Member

IMO, the bindings on the R7 Historic Custom look legit and fantastic.