• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

AGL Saddle comparison: Gotoh vs Highwood tremolo saddles.

Fons

That´s an AGL custom made tremolo, aluminum tremolo block, Allparts steel plate, and Gotoh saddles in the first part of the video. Second part is all the same, only Saddles been switched to Highwood HG Contoured Vintage Guitar Saddles. Saddle change been made by saving the strings, so strings are the same in whole video. Check video in HD quality only, so you get best sound results, as sound quality is better when using 720p or higher.

Last edited:

seljetnoma

Ive been using those saddles since they came out in 2015, I think they are wonderful.
I got the Highwood saddles last year and IMHO they are the best saddles a man can get, period!
Seriously, my strings sustain more, like if ther's more vibrations from the strings going trough the wood hence more expression and more punch!
The hight ajustment screws go all the way trough the saddle's lower part giving it more "grip" and the center notch holds the string in place so no more string shifting like on the old vintage style sadles.
This is a major improvement for any vintage style trem.
Just my 2 cents

Mystix

Gold Supporting Member
Did you use an amp? I don't know if its my ears - but I hear no treble-no brightness at all. Sounds like an electric guitar but played acoustically - not trying to offend -
or like there was palm muting throughout???

also - I would have played the neck pickup instead of that bridge - sounds very muffled to me.

Having said that - the 2nd (Highwood) set of saddles were way better.

Fons

Did you use an amp? I don't know if its my ears - but I hear no treble-no brightness at all. Sounds like an electric guitar but played acoustically - not trying to offend -
or like there was palm muting throughout???

also - I would have played the neck pickup instead of that bridge - sounds very muffled to me.

Having said that - the 2nd (Highwood) set of saddles were way better.
Hi Mystix, this was played and recorded acoustically by Holger Diepold, Germany.

Mystix

Gold Supporting Member
Hi Mystix, this was played and recorded acoustically by Holger Diepold, Germany.

Ok -

I was thinking it was my speakers!

Thanks!

Even acoustically - the Highwoods - were way more audible - nice improvement!

I installed mine in a Grosh NOS MT - loving them!

Lex Luthier

I got the Highwood saddles last year and IMHO they are the best saddles a man can get, period!
Seriously, my strings sustain more, like if ther's more vibrations from the strings going trough the wood hence more expression and more punch!
The hight ajustment screws go all the way trough the saddle's lower part giving it more "grip" and the center notch holds the string in place so no more string shifting like on the old vintage style sadles.
This is a major improvement for any vintage style trem.
Just my 2 cents
It's hard to go back to using regular Strat saddles once I got the Highwood saddles. I even replaced the cast saddles on a couple of Gotoh 510 trems and put on the Highwoods, got more of the vintage tone going now.

seljetnoma

It's hard to go back to using regular Strat saddles once I got the Highwood saddles. I even replaced the cast saddles on a couple of Gotoh 510 trems and put on the Highwoods, got more of the vintage tone going now.
So true, I did the same to my 510 trem and there was "that" sound which I could never get with the standard Gotoh block saddles or other vintage type saddles.
Highwood saddles are special in every way, better design, better tone, I'm going to order a 2th set soon.

Trending Topics