Aguilar 500 two channel too loud for house Recomendations?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Groovey Records, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    My Aguilar 500 two channel is way too loud for my house and g*d forbid my basement. 500 watts is just a lot more power then I need for rehersals at my place. The DB 4x10 cab blasts the walls and even the drummer is complaining:roll

I need something a little tamer I was thinking of a Fender Bassman so it could do double duty for Guitar and Bass. Any opinions or suggestions. Is there such a thing as an attenuator for Solid State Amps ?

Any Favorites for playing at home? The Aguilar 500 is a fine pro rig but its in another league then what I need.

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

2. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I use a SWR 200 watt combo with a 12 inch and tweeter. That replaced a an old Yorkville with the same power and a 15. Both are great practice amps, and loud enough to use on small gigs. I use this in a NYC apartment.

I have a 500 watt head and cabinets for the big rig.

3. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Yes I am thinking about getting a lower powered combo, It would still need to keep up with a drummer at rehearsal at my house. The BP has his own rig for gigs.

I wonder what are the better 15 '' combo's for bass and does anybody have a prefrence for tube sound?

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records

[​IMG]

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I am tube hater, sorry.....

no problem with 200 watts and a hard hitting drummer but in smaller rooms...but we're non-metal old farts...

5. jay42

jay42 Member

okay, I'll bite. What's the problem when you turn it down?

That's nice equipment. Have you tried the head with a GS112?

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Yeah... I'm guessing he's trying to drive it...

I like the sound of speakers getting pushed, not so much SS amps.

Like tkozal, I'm a tube bass amp "disliker" as well...

7. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Even at lower Volume levels the low frequencies Shake, Rattle, and Roll my whole house. The Walls. Windows, Floors and Ceiling just quake with the amp and cabs energy.

I live in a all wood house 40 foot Cathedral ceilings Oak Floors and Pine walls and ceiling, The Rooms Natural Acoustics make the space like living inside of a speaker cab. Everything is very alive.

This Amp is a performer and a pro rig. Without using the second overdrive EQ channel to shape the sound it is a bad Wamma Jama. When I kick in the second channel with the foot switch Its just pandamoneum. The Drummer has to work twice as hard already. His sound gets sucked up in the big room and the bass is all over it. I have tried different positions for the cab but not smaller cabs.

The Idea for the space was to have a full set of amps drums, keyboards and pa set up so rehearsal would be easy. The rig is out of balance with what we need in the Space.

So do you think a 500 watt head wouldn't rip apart a 1x12?
    the picture below was taken last year before we moved the equipment out of the basement
    EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records
    Listening To Whistle Rymes

[​IMG]

8. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

Hey -

Much as I'd love to buy & use your great, great Aggie rig, you should totally NOT sell it. The AG500 & DB410 is a magic, magic rig - it's decently portable, and can do any gig you need from small club up to 5,000-ish theaters. I've done gigs with a very similar setup. Aguilar stuff is the best, if you're looking for a little more modern, more efficient Ampeg sound. My experience with the DB series cabs is that they're even more efficient, & more mid-rangey (i.e., basically louder) than the GS series cabs.

My advice (caveat: I don't know what your band sounds like, what kind of tunes you play, what kind of bass tone you want, etc.):
    - Hang onto the Aggie setup
    - Pick up a used (or new, if you've got the bucks) Ampeg SVT 210 or 115E enclosure.
    - Be reasonable with the AG500 volume knob/s.

The Ampeg cabs I mentioned above are 8 Ohms, thus they've got more resistance than the 4 Ohm DB410, & will thus be noticeably quieter than the DB cab at the same volume knob setting. They've have a similar tone & feel, but will be smaller sounding, & most likely not rattle the house.

I'm telling you, man, with that Aggie setup, you can hang with great tone in basically any non-arena situation, and you''ll lose a chunk of change if you sell it. Better to just drop $250 and pick up a used, less efficient, less *loud* cab and keep your great current setup.

Anyway, my $.02.

T

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Timmers that's Great advice going with a 8ohm cab would solve a lot of problems.
    The thing is "I know" I have this great Bass pro rig here in the house but I am the gutarist. Oh I noodle around and exhibit all the bad habits a guitarist turned Bass player can while not taking to many positives along. I get my John Entwistle confused with my James Jamerson By no means am I going to turn into a bass player. it's Just here for the convienence of the band.

A hobby at best, the latest incarnation is Stripped Down Naked, we take obscure but known nuggets and lay them bare not covers but raw arrangements, very hard and very fast. No subtlety, nuance, or intricacies.
    Just in your face loud and hard. With this rig it goes past 11 you know?

It doesn't work in the house. I got drums that gather dust 26 out of thirty days and this Agi that has just doubled its play time this week to 4 hours.
    The Piano is Nice too work out arrangements but get more dusting then tickling.

I do love playing my bass but I go thru the Emplexador Marshall clone when I do cause I don't knock any pictures off the wall.

The Aguilar will make someone an excellent riig it got all the bells and whistles, the Head Case the Cab Cover, Custom Color you name it Mint condition.

But I know your right, I'll regret selling it as soon as I do we will get an outdoor gig.

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

10. jay42

jay42 Member

I can't tell from the picture just how you have the amp set up. You need to get it off the floor and isolate it from the floor and the walls...probably make sure it's at an angle to the walls. Borrow some other bass equipment to test the room. I'm not sure your problem will be fixed with a different cabinet.

You don't run a 500W head full blast all the time. An Aguilar or Epifani 1-12" is a useful piece of equipment to have.

[edit]It occurs to me that a good test approach would be to use a 20 band graphic equalizer to try to scoop the rattle producing frequencies while maintaining a decent tone. hth

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Right you are Jay it's a L shaped room and right now its up on the brick hearth 18inchs of the floor its a center brickfaced fire stack that goes from the basement to the loft it has three fireplaces running off it in different rooms. Its the most solid part of the house and the angle is offset about 15degrees.

I not going full blast or even nooners its the harmonic frequecies that rattle the house. Even in the basement on a carpeted concrete slab with cinder block wall and a 9 foot ceiling the floor Joists and timber for the first floor quaked.

If i play clean at 9 0r 10 o'clock it;s fine but can't do that at rehearsal, then its gotta be nooner or better. but its the frequecies shaken the house, It's like living inside a speaker cabinet.

Thanks for the help

Groovey Records

12. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

At the risk of being a smartass: The volume and bass controls turn counterclockwise as well as clockwise. Just adjust the thing to suit the situation.

13. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

No Risk in that happening ! WELCOME to TGP

Your the guy who sez don't clean records right?

shesh

BTW KABONG

[​IMG]

14. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Is everyone using solid state for bass now or do some players still prefer tubes. I would like the ability to play one of my guitars through an amp like a Bassman when needed.

When the Fender P Bass ruled ( I know it still does) but in the day what was the rig of choice?

Other then two word answer what your prefrence and why?
    Tube or SS.

EnJoy The Music
    Groovey Records

15. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

You could try a Blackface or Silverface Bassman or Showman rig. That would sound great for guitar or bass.

Or if you want something more modern, the SWR and Eden combos have a tube preamp, but I don't think they would sound very good for guitar.

16. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Yes Sirree Bob We Have a Winner

But Blondes have More Fun

Ring Those Bells

[​IMG]

I guess I might need two one for a spare

Thanks Gryphon

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

17. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

aha! your trouble is that you can't get loud enough to hear yourself without knocking the pictures off the walls, right? that makes more sense as a likely problem.

don't waste money on a crappier bass amp. just get that cabinet off the ground, roll the lows back and the mids up, and flatten the eq on the bass. you could even take the head off the cab and tilt the cabinet back so it's aimed at your head instead of your butt.

the thing is, that bass tone with the huge lows, crisp highs, and all the mids scooped out that sounds so nice by itself turns to rumbly mud with the band. dial up more mids and a flatter sound and you'll hear the notes easily at even low volume.

the same holds true when playing gigs as well.

also, earplugs are great for bass players, as they cut all the cymbal wash and guitar hash, letting your bass and the kick drum come through better.

18. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

HI WALTER

Guitar gnome I like that. Well to bring yo all up to sped I sold the head and cab. In an attempt to buy a Vintage Standel 80 W Custom Guitar amp from 1960. I lost in the last #0 seconds it went from $1150 to $2700 still a bargin with a 15'" JBL-Lansing driver. It was from 1960 and was the same model Wes Montgomery played. Sheister!

So now the Spector NS4 neck thru Custom Bass is in the case and in the closet for now. I may buy another Aguilar or I may look for a smaller but not crappier bass amp.

I'm looking at buiding my own Harvard type Tweed here pretty soon with the money from the sale and keep my eyes open for another Standel.

Thanks

GrooVey Recrods

Enjoy the music

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

just like the underpants gnomes on south park:

step 1--fix guitars
    step 2--???
    step 3--profit!

20. Cosmic

Cosmic Member

Eden makes hybrid heads. The preamp is tube and power amp is solid state.

I prefer a tube preamp. Solid State cannot replicate the warmth and dynamics of a tube. They can get close, but there is a difference.