Aiken, Andrews, or Matchless?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If one were purchasing a new Amp and these were the choices which would it be?

Aiken Sabre

Andrews A-50 or A25/A22

Matchless Chieftan

Now I know not many folks are gona know what the Andrews amps are but I thin there are a few owners around here (if they will chime in).

None of these Amps are like each other much but if these were your choices?

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Sabre if you can find one or talk Randall into finishing the Sabre II

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

What do you like about the Sabre?

BTW I dont know if Radall will ever finish that one. Maybe at some point.

Guys what do you like as well about these amps.

I know this isnt really fair to Andrews because there aint many folks who even know what these are. If your neutral on the question about these amps then look at each and which would you pick?

A search for the Sabre and Matchless are easy enuff. You can find a little info on the Andrews here. http://www.andrewsamplab.com/amps/amps_home.htm

4. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Andrews amps.........nice guy,his amps were at the SOUTH CAROLINA GUITAR SHOW.....I believe he is Atlanta-call him up and check them out!!!

5. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Chieftan and Sabre are really different animals to me almost like comparing a Tele and a Les Paul

6. rastaman

rastaman Member

But Jeff is a local guy! :jo:NUTS:rotflmao:BEER

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes they are.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Though they are all three alike in that they are damn good and handwired amps.

So yes all three are of very different flavors but I didnt ask to compare them. Which would you pick?

9. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I had my pick of just about any amp under 3K and I bought the Sabre (MK I). Flexible and toneful with a great MV and FX loop.

The dirt channel is Marshall in lineage and can go from plexi to JCM800 in terms of gain but can sound smoother...if you want it to. It cleans up pretty good but does this better with a clean boost engaged. I can cop about 90% of the tones I want with this channel, a clean boost and my guitar's volume knob. The other 10% would be pristine clean. This channel breathes and gives me the sound I hear in my head.

The clean channel is Fender BF is lineage and is a lot like a Super with more headroom/less overdrive. It gets stellar quack with my strat and sounds fantastic with humbuckers as well. It loves all guitars and responds to pedals (including fuzz) amazingly well.

It's great to have 1 do all amp instead of carting around two amps.

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

In that price range, you also want to consider the Category 5 Andrew

Also, the Reeves Custom 50 will soon be available with power scaling.

Just so many GREAT amps out there today, when you get into the upper brackets, it's all about nuances and that's before you have the amp
    custom voiced to your liking.

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Other Amps have nothing to do with this thread please?

12. Benlevy

Benlevy Member

I think Andrews does top-shelf work and his amps are fantastic for what they do. I heard a Chieftan a couple times, played it briefly and it was really good for low/mid gain. But, I'd have to pick a Sabre. I need more gain than the Andrews delivers and also need two channels (at least). All are great, well-built amps. Only picking the Sabre because it's a better match for the music I play...

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

I've seen a couple in the emporium during my stint here........

;)

14. mlongano

mlongano Member

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hmmmmm.

I played a Sabre at Midtown oh bout a year ago or so. For me the Lead Channel didnt do it.

The Andrews can do high gain hell with a 12AX7 in V1 and especially with a Pedal in front of it.

16. rastaman

rastaman Member

And you didn't call me? :Spank:Spank:Spank

I thought you played and Invader or something else....

17. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Sorry. :D

I did tell you about it but I wasn familliar with his models and after figuring out what a Sabre was that is what I played. I didnt like it and it was noisy (sort of like when you have a pedal on) but now that dosnt mean other folks wont like it or couldnt get a damn goodsound out of it.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

For me I dont think there is a two (or more) channel amp out there that has equaled a very well thought out simple one channel amp with a pedal.

Now I wouldnt compare the Andrews to something like a Bassman as a Pedal Platform, the Andrews excells in a far more advanced universe over something like a Bassman.

19. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

And you may be right. Like I said about the Sabre, I get 90% of the tones I need with the dirt channel and clean boost...one in ten I need/want that crystalline strat/blackface tone.

20. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I may be late to the game, but I'll chime in regarding the Andrews.

I play pretty much every weekend in a cover band where that vast majority of my tone needs to be clean in nature. If you put the 12ax7 in the Andrews then you're going to have a hard time coaxing a clean tone out of it unless you roll WAY off the volume.

The solution that has worked for me in a live setting is to use the 12au7 and use input #2. This allows me to essentially have clean sounds (for arpeggiated picking, strumming, etc.) by backing off of the volume on my guitar just a bit. If I need to have some midway grind, I put the volume on the guitar all the way up and dig in. When I need the big distortion, I hit my BB Preamp....effectively creating a multi-channel-esque scenario.

The Andrews is perfectly capable of about all the distortion that you'll ever need in it's genre (read, not Boogie, Diezel, etc.). The amount of low end girth that you get from the 1x12 combo is astonishing. As I've said before, it has more bottom than my Germino C40 w 2x12 cab.

Lastly, a few months ago a well known guitar player around town that I happen to be friends with came over to check out some of my guitars and amps. Of the lot (Goodsell, Germino, Guytron, Fender, Andrews), he chose the Andrews matched with a TA Tele as his favorite combo. Granted, they all do their things well, but the Andrews really delivers in spades for what you get.