Aiken Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jarrett, Nov 28, 2004.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

jarret, I condidered converting my 1x12 invader into a head at one point a couple years ago. Randall said it was possible but sort of discouraged it, because the chassis is different. The tubes hang down versus sitting upright, so the head cab has to be a custom order. I don't know if his current cab maker will do it or not, and what the cost would be. Also, he mentioned a possible less than ideal ventilation issue, but I don't know if it was real significant. That said, it could be done, it just wasn't as easy as swapping for a head cab. You would likely be better off just finding a head, and selling your combo. I bet the tone would be consistent. You could even set the bias identical and use your current tubes if you were really worried about a tone difference. Or just be happy with your 1x12 combo!

2. tuna

tuna Member

Jarrett, I had never owned a head and cab until I purchased my Invaderhead and 1-12 cab, always combos. I have to say that I am very happy with this set up and can see the versitility of a head and cab. Little more bulky than the combo, but I can see getting another cab down the road. Good luck.

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Thanks, Matt. I guess I should look into the cab first to see if its feasible.

4. haslar

haslar Member

Sure: click here !!

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Thanks Haslar!

I just thought of something. Is it possible to run a single head into two inputs on a stereo cab? Meaning, if you have a single 2x12 cab that is wired like two individual 1x12 cabs, can you run two inputs from the head into the two inputs in the cab? I don't see why this would be different from running a head into two single cabs. Does anyone see a problem? Thanks.

6. haslar

haslar Member

I don't see any reason why you could not do that.
    That means you need to do a bit of custom wiring, i.e. installing 2 input jacks on the cab, but it's dead simple to do.

Also, a good thing would be to install a two-way switch that allows you to reconfigure the speakers wiring:
    - position A --> both speakers together, as in any normal 2x12" cab. This would inactivate jack input #2.
    - position B: each speaker is independent, jack input #1 leads to speaker #1 and jack input #2 leads to speaker #2.

It would be a simple circuit, and would give you a lot of flexibility.

Then, if you get an A/B/Y box between your guitars and your two heads, you can switch between amps for clean and crunch, or play both at the same time. :dude

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I asked Mojo about that and they said they would have to do two individual speaker jacks for some reason. But as long as I can connect the two outputs from my Aiken heads into the two inputs, its no biggie.

8. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

It needs to have 2 seperate jacks or a plastic jack plate so there isn't a common ground between the two heads. :D

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Just a quick bump to say it dawned on me today that I've had my Invader for like 4.5 months now. That's close to a record for me lately :) Still running the Tomcat and Invader in a Y config and still loving the amps. I guess I'm an Aiken junkie now.

10. haslar

haslar Member

Jarrett,

has Randall replied to your email yet?
    I wrote him a message a few days before yours, and still have had no news from him?! :confused:

I needed some Aiken buying advice from him, and am suprised he has not got back in touch with me yet.

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Yeah, it took a bit, but I got a response.

12. reaiken

reaiken Member

Don't be too surprised, I've been traveling back and forth between Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina every week for a while now, and am completely swamped with a huge backlog of email.

Then again, I am *always* swamped with a huge backlog of email (mostly people wanting detailed technical advice or help with their homebrew amps), and I usually fall into the trap of answering the top few messages and the others keep getting pushed down the stack.

Anyway, I apologize for the delay in responding, I've sent you a reply today.

Thanks,

Randall Aiken

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

I was talking to a mate of mine in the UK yesterday who actually read all this thread (he's a "lurker), I haven't, so bear with me.

His question is this.

What is the tonal and gain difference between the:

Tomcat
    18watt Invader
    18watt Intruder?

If someone has actually played all three, he would be grateful.

Thanks, Pete.

14. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've played all 3 but not back to back. The Tomcat has the most gain on tap, due to its boost. While none are high gain amps, the other two are definitely less mid-gain than the Tomcat. The Intruder and Invader seemed quite similar to me in the gain dept.

15. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, Leon. I might have guessed that you had played all three.......

Are the Invader/Intruder somewhat like the Marshall 18 watter but with more pre-amp gain? I told him that tonally they all stem from the Marshall "camp" but really I'm talking out of my arse not having played one (so what's new, you ask)?

Thanks, mate.

Best, Pete.

16. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I much prefer the sound of Randall's to the 18w Marshall. But that's just me. Now the new 20w Marshall reissue? Different story.

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Trisonic -The Invader and Intruder are like an old Plexi and aluminum Marshall. The TC is more 18watt marshall - but with more gain,better distortion,better clean,attenuator and boost. Well, just better in every way by me, and I have played original 18 watters.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks, guys.

Best, Pete.

19. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Man, Randall went WAY out his way yesterday in helping me convert my Invader combo to a head. Had to post and give him more props. His products AND customer service rock like this :dude :D Thanks Randall!

20. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

so what happened Jarrett? Do you have a head cab on the way?