Aiken Corsair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbtoz, Dec 4, 2005.

1. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have any info on this amp. I've heard some great clips of the sabre and wondering if the corsair is basically a sabre minus the clean channel.

If it is different from the sabre has anyone heard one?

Anyone want to compare a sabre/ corsair to a hot cat 30r or a shiva.

Things I would like in my future amp-

Great touch sensitivity
    Thick tone w/ lots of bottom
    natural sounding blooming notes
    Great sustain
    Good master volume taper
    Must have more gain than the shiva.

2. wyldefan

wyldefan Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Randall is still building them. They are not out yet. I am on the list. I can't wait to hear it. Randall builds great amps!

3. gooma

gooma Member

I`m dead keen to hear one of these in action too :D

4. bobbtoz

Anybody know when the release date is for this amp?

This will probably be a situation were I won't be able to try the amp out.

I'm curious as to the characteristics of the amp. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

5. wyldefan

wyldefan Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

When I get mine I will post a review.

Krueger

6. bobbtoz

Sounds good. Can you give me any info on the turn around time on these, price?

Actually anything you know about this amp would help.

This is what I know- Corsair is a 50 watt high-gain head (thats it)

I've heard that its the OD of the sabre in a single channel small box head.

Man when GAS strikes me it hits big time. I don't know dick about this amp and I still want it.

Thanks Bob T.

7. reaiken

reaiken Member

Ha! I need to get out of the amp biz and go into marketing. :)

Here's the scoop: The Corsair is just about ready for prime time. I made a few last-minute changes and am waiting on new turret boards and relay supply/attenuator boards to arrive. I have the first run of chassis wired up and ready for the boards to drop in, so it shouldn't be long. The new front and rear panels look great, and I'm excited.

The amp is basically a pseudo-single-channel, small-box 50W amp with a boost (that's the pseudo-part - it is kind of like a 2-channel with shared eq). The front panel controls are: gain, bass, mid, treble, presence, depth, and master. There is a front panel switch to turn the gain boost on/off, as well as an LED indicator to tell you when it is on. The gain boost is also controllable via the rear-panel footswitch jack (footswitch w/LED included). There is a rear panel control to set the amount gain boost you want, so you set the amount of crunch distortion with the front panel volume control and the amount of boost distortion with the rear panel control. The rear panel has AC mains voltage selector for all international voltages, a 4,8, and 16 ohm impedance selector, two speaker jacks and a TRS line-level effects loop jack.

Here's the cool part: there is also a rear panel switch that allows you to select whether or not you want a volume boost with the gain boost. This is not your ordinary, garden-variety extra master control, instead it is a real, switchable -3dB attenuator between the output tranny and the speakers that is switched in and out with the footswitch (properly impedance-matched for 4, 8, and 16 ohms as selected by the rear panel impedance switch). This allows you to get a true volume boost for solos, no matter where you have the master set.

If you like, you can set the amp up for output stage distortion by running the master full up and the gains low, and drive the output section into clipping for a more "traditional" 70's rock kind of tone and still get a volume boost for solos, even though the output tubes are fully clipped. Or, you can set the amp up as a "modern" or 80's hair-band amp with the gains set high and the master lower and still get the same amount of volume boost for solos. Or, if you turn the rear-panel switch off, you just get a gain boost for solos, with no accompanying volume boost.

I'll post pics as soon as the new boards arrive and are installed.

Thanks!

Randall Aiken

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Hey Randall, is that a parallel effects loop?
    What does TRS stand for?

Dominick

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

IN audio terms it's "tip/ring/sleeve" meaning a 1/4" male cable end that handles both "sending and return" a signal.. i.e. you have a 2 male 1/4" TS on 1 end and 1 1/4 TRS on the other.

ERIC

10. bobbtoz

Sounds like a real killer amp will be out and about fairly soon. Thanks for the info. Now its time for me to save some money for this amp.

11. reaiken

reaiken Member

No, it is a series loop, nothing fancy, designed to work with line-level (rack type) effects. It is a single jack so you use a standard insert cable (available at most any music store in the recording/sr area). The cable is basically a 1/4" stereo plug on one end that breaks out into two 1/'4" mono plugs on the other end that go into the input and output of the effects unit. There is also an effects loop bypass switch on the rear panel of the Corsair. If you turn it off, you can still use a standard guitar cable to send the signal to a tuner if you like, without affecting the amp's signal.

Randall Aiken

12. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Thanks Randall,
    Is it possible to special order one with a parallel loop?

13. reaiken

reaiken Member

No, there is no room on the rear panel for a mix control (not to mention no space on the main turret board for the extra circuitry), so it has to be a series loop.

Randall Aiken

14. bobbtoz

Man I can't wait until this amp hits the streets. I'm interested to see how it compares to some of the other high gain amps.