Aiken? I am a believer now!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by claptonisgood, Sep 7, 2005.

1. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

My local shop took in a purple 1X12 Aiken Invader MkII a week or so ago and I initially gave it no thought. Yesterday I brought it home to try and it ain't going back! This this is amazing! If one were to simply take the quality of design, parts and construction, it would have to be recognized as top-shelf. Then, when you hear the monster...holy crap! this is just an amazing amp! (did I already mention that?)...very well thought out controls with a lot of tonal capabilities...it loves single coils and it REALLY loves humbuckers...I plugged my old SG in and it was Cream at the Fillmore or EJ's Alien Love Child...did I mention how loud this thing is for 18W?...wow! and it really does clean up nicely from the guitar...for the first time in decades, i have an amp that I can comfortably take out with only a guitar and cord and be happy. I did pull the speaker (it was an Aiken 25W that looks like the Mojo BV) and replaced it with an Emi Red Fang (my current favorite new speaker)...This amp is a keeper, no question about it! I would love to hear from other Aiken owners who have lived with theirs for a while and can tell me how it has performed long-term!

2. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Randall knows Marshall tone for sure.
    I had an Intruder 30w head that was just great. Its a treat to get that tone and response from an amp that doesn't deafen you or need an attenuator.
    I'm sure the combo sounds great. Enjoy.
    b.

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Welcome to the Aiken club! I have an 18W MKII in green (for added tonality) that I ordered from Boston Guitar Works. It's the best amp I've played (not that I've played millions of amps). It's SO responsive. You literally go from a gorgeous warm clean to ABB with your pick attack.

And loud? HELL YES. Mine never leaves the VAR setting...

Awesome, awesome, awesome amp. I'm definitely an Aiken addict.

4. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

When are the new Aiken's being released?

5. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I dunno. My Cowtipper is coming in Friday, I'm looking forward to putting it up against Randall's new clean amp.

6. wax

wax Member

I have an Aiken Invader II 2x12(Brit Greenbacks) 30-watt combo serial #2 that I've had for a couple of years and it's amazing. I no longer stress for that tone anymore. Randall makes a great amp!

7. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'm looking to add another Aiken to my arsenal. Running 3 amps side-by-side... 1 clean, 1 moderate OD, 1 high-gain... the Invader can do either the high-gain or moderate OD, so now I'm looking at a Tomcat or another Invader, or maybe the Corsair for the other.

8. wyldefan

wyldefan Silver Supporting Member

Randall is the best. I miss him being next to me in GA.

9. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

i think i am going to take the Invader out to a local blues jam tonight and put it through its paces...Strat straight in with a little 'verb....it doesn't get much simpler than that! i will report back...the host band's guitarist kinda cranks up his Vibro King, and, the drummer (hard hitting) is wedged in the corner so it gets loud as the evening progresses...i can't wait to see how the Invader does in this setting...

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I don't know of a single place in Charleston that has open mic blues jams... I don't want to play, but to go watch would be fun...

11. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

The Invaded did great last night! The tone was there and it was loud enough to be heard in the back of the room I was told. I love this amp! And, I swear this is the truth, the other guitarist I was paired with had brought his Balls 1X12 combo...yup! you got it! the amps on stage were the notorious Aiken Balls combination!...

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Another :dude for Randall Aiken...!

Can't wait to hear his "new" lineup!

13. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I've been a convert for about a year. I've got #20 Invader MKII 1x12 and #2 Tomcat Head. They're keepers.

14. sws1

sws1 Member

That's some serious blues.

15. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I like what I have heard of these amps. Sure would like to play one.

16. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

That combination of amps can be really gut wrenching if they are done up in blue tolex.

The result would be the dreaded Aiken Blue Balls:rolleyes:

17. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

well, my Aiken IS purple (the Balls was green) but. if it had been blue, it would have been the Aiken purple blue Balls...OUCH!

18. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I only have one thing to say about Aiken:

Sabre :dude

19. Den

Den Member

I love my Tomcat!

20. Cokeman

Cokeman Member

How did the sound change? I am running mine through a Jackson 2X12 with 50 watt speakers. They are probably Celestion copies.