1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Aiken Intruder and Reinhardt 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by auburn-grad, Sep 29, 2006.

1. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

HELP !

I have an Aiken Intruder 30w head and a Reinhardt 18w head (which I just acquired).....unfortunately, one of them will probably have to 'go' at some point in the near future.

They are both INCREDIBLE amps and they have some similiar characteristics.

I was wondering...which amp would you prefer and why?

..any comments are appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

Sorry I did not get by this evening...just got home...have to put em through their paces soon...

3. fatback

fatback Member

While I've only heard good things about Reinhardts, I really dig all the Aikens I've tried. At different times I've owned 18 & 30 watt Invaders, a Tomcat, and a Sabre. I just got back together with an 18 watt Invader head and am loving it. So you can see which side of the fence I'm on.
    ;)

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

5. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Last night, we were playing a Les Paul and a Firebird, both loaded with Wolfetone Marshallhead pickups into a Reinhard 18 watt and a slant 2x12 last night. The tone was nothing less than righteous. The leads just screamed.:cool:

I have never owned or played one of Randall Aiken's amps, and I'm sure they are spectacular; but the cranked Reinhardt just had that something wonderfull about it.

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

I have always wanted to play a Reinhardt but have not had the chance, it sounds like a great amp.

I have an Aiken Invader that has the intruder master volume added, so with the attenuator off it's basically an intruder, with reverb. I think this is one of the best amps I have ever played...it just sounds spectacular,..every time I play it it just sounds better and better...so responsive to guitar volume in terms of a spectacular clean plexi sound that rolls into great crunch and leads. I can't foresee selling this amp ever.

Gook luck in your decision.

8. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

two great amps, tough call. I'd keep 'em both for a few more years while deciding....:rotflmao

though, I do think the Aiken is prettier! -Guy

9. diofan56

diofan56 Member

I have two Aikens. Killer amps! I would love to plug in to a Reinhardt 18 as I have never heard anything bad about them.

10. gooma

gooma Member

I can only comment as a former intruder 30 watt owner;)

Thats one amp i really regret selling, i guess it does come down to how loud you wish to play as the Intruder probably has it over the Reinhardt in lower volume playing. I bet the reinhardt does sound killer tho.

That wont be an easy decision!! i guess either way you`ll still have one fine amp :)

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I would keep the Aiken.

These are the main reasons:

1. With the Ali/Plexi switch, it's more versatile.

2. It's not made any more in the 30 watt version.

12. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I mentioned this to my buddy as well....I emailed Randall Aiken and he said only about 20 of them were ever made......it might be a collector's item one day....

13. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

I've had both. I personally prefer the Aiken by a good margin for flexabilty, feel , and of course quality of tone. You need to decide which works best for you.

14. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I just received my 18 watt Reinhardt combo Saturday morning and man was I impressed. I had it covered in blond tolex with gold trim and a Weber bluedog speaker. The tone on this thing is second to none. Both chanels sound great. The master volume chanel is thick and meaty and when you push the tubes to overdrive and turn up the volume you can over-power any drummer. It also plays well with pedals. I ran a Menatone BlueCollar OD, OCD, and a Analogman Sunface fuzz in front of it and each one sounded great. As far as quaility, this is one of the best amps(maybe even best) I have ever bought, sold, and owned, and I know I will not be selling this one...

15. kccheers

kccheers Member

waynesmith, you have a pm

16. SLG

SLG Member

Since you are an Auburn grad, my advice from the Gator Nation would be to sell both amps and buy yourself a nice Peavey. LOL

Having owned both amps, I wouldn't hesitate to own either amp again (I still have a pair of Aikens) Both are wonderful, high quality amps. It's simply a question of your personal preference. The 30 watt Intruder is a little more versatile in that it has the alum/plexi switch, and is capable of using either 6v6, 6L6, or EL34 power tubes. The Reinhardt amps have the advantage of being channel switched with a standard A/B box.

My advice is to play both amps (alot) and decide which sounds and feels better with your music, style of playing, and guitars.