1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Aiken Intruder - Invader EL84's: How loud???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Will the 2 EL84's models (1x12 combo's) make it in a band context? Since Aiken doors are closed, I cannot find any EL34 left in stock. I am looking for some clean headroom, just a loud crunchy tone, I am going to use some pedals for OD. BTW do you know when he will be back???

2. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hey Myron,
    Contact "Fatback" here on the board. He has an Intruder. That amp is one loud M-F%#$@&. Will do well in a band context with either a 2-12 or 4-12. I heard Fatbacks head on a Marshall 4-12 and the thing absolutely RIPPED! That is a loud 18 watts. Superb amps IMO. The amp just snarled! M.E.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I have an 18-watt Invader, and I have NEVER had a problem with being heard, even against a LOUD 2nd guitar player, keys and drums. I don't think I've EVER had it dimed.

It can get LOUD.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

I think if you're looking to have a loud clean tone (for say playing a jazz line), it's not gonna cut it. You roll back the volume to clean it up nicely, but I don't think with a greenback as a speaker you have perfect cleans that can overpower a drummer. Clean rhythms, yes. A clean loud solo, no.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the drummer.

If you have a drummer (or other bandmates) who doesn't know how to 'play well with others,' you may have a problem.

I do not have that problem, and the Aiken cuts it just fine... ;)

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Also depends what type of music you play Dave. I'm sure you're not playing Stone Temple Pilots meets Godsmack meets Story of the Year,etc... That's the major factor to me when I read these forums.. Answers to posts based on jump-blues players, jazz players, indie-rock players, hard rock players ,etc differ significantly and to me ONLY are relevant based on how their situations equate with mine... (just a common-sense note... which gets overlooked way too often)

ERIC

7. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

What I want is a loud transparent uncompressed crunchy tone, one that works well with pedals. Do you think that I can get one with the EL84 models? Unfortunately, no dealer has an Invader or Intruder EL34... Do you know when Aiken will be back?

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I think the key is "IF " he will be back... Of course maybe someone here knows and has been sworn to secrecy , but RA has just hinted at what's going on ... I'd either suspect
    1) He's sold his company, designs , or services to a bigger co
    2) He's hooked up with another company or another designer
    3) He's not going to be back
    4) ?????????????????????????????????

Of course when he reads this he can post if he wants :D
    ERIC

9. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I have owned an Aiken Invader for around a year now. It is an 18 watt head that I use with a Jenkins 1-12" cab with a G12H30. I primarily use this amp with a classic rock cover band that plays lots of Led Zep & AC/DC songs.

For me, the amp is PLENTY loud. Actually, I rarely get to run without using the attenuator 1 or 2 clicks down - even at unmiced outdoors shows. It would even be louder with more speakers. We have a VERY hard hitting drummer and I have had absolutely no problems cutting through.

Personally, I do not think of this amp as a platform for pedals. In the first place, there is very little headroom so you will be dealing with at least a semi-distorted to distorted tone at band volumes. While I do like slammming the front end with my Dynaranger, the amps inherent distortion sounds *much* better than any "distortion box" I've tried. I prefer this amp with my Les Paul and tend to run my rhythm pickup volume at 3 or 4 and my lead pickup on 10 so I can switch back & forth between clean(ish) & distorted tones.

In general, I LOVE my Invader & I'm sure the Intruder would be great as well. I prefer the tone with humbuckers because it's a little too bright with single coils IMHO but you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding amp for straight up rock.

10. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Cool! I am thinking about setting a nice and loud open uncompressed Plexi tone and slamming it with some boost pedals for more gain. I think that this should work, right? :)

11. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

Yes, this should work fine. Mine sounds great with my Dynaranger for a lead boost. One of the reasons my Invader is loud is because it doesn't have a tube rectifier. It is significantly louder than my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia head which has a 5Y3.

One of the reasons for the lack of headroom with my amp is that it uses 12ax7s in the first & second positions. You could conceivably run a 5751 in the second slot if you want a little more headroom.

I really love my Invader. I run both volumes at 1:00 and get great classic rock tones.

12. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Hey Myron,

Give me a call a.s.a.p !!!

Ted

13. fatback

fatback Member

I have an 18 watt Invader, not the Intruder, The Invader has killer verb'! Played through a 73' Marshall straight front 4x12, this amp has left a few drummers sweaty and panting to keep up. I could give them a break by using the attenuater, but where's the fun in that?:p The tranformer in the 18 watt Invader looks bigger than the one in my buddy's 50 watt Marshall!

I totally agree that this is not a pedal amp. The Aikens give up the goods all on their own. The amp's clean tones involve rolling back on your guitar's volume. Great chime and complexity, but no high headroom sparkly cleans here.

I almost bought one of the small box Marshall 18 watt reissues, but went with the Aiken instead and have absolutely no regrets. Great amp! I'd still like to try the 30 watt Invader though...

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You're going from a Rambler to an Invader, right? Both very nice amps, both very different from one another! Based on how you wanted to use the Rambler, you will probably be happy with the Invader.

Don't expect the Rambler's sparkling blackface cleans from the Invader, but you will get some great Marshall plexi/ali crunch and the ability to blend channels and attenuate. It will get loud, but not loud and clean. The Rambler takes pedals better than the Invader IMHO and the reverb is better, but you don't really want much reverb for crunch anyway.

The relative volume will be similar to the Rambler, depending on the 1x12 speaker you use and how clean you need to be. It will definately be loud enough for most band contexts, unless you have another guitar and a keyboard, or a very loud drummer. You may have to choose your pedals carefully for best results.

15. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

While I completely agree with most of this, I find that my Invader completely dominates my bandmates Ramber volume wise. I'm using a G12H30, though, which is a very efficient speaker. I actually can't use my Invader with this particular band because of this issue (you can't even hear the other guitarist :eek: ). My Ghia, on the other hand is a pretty good match volume wise for the Rambler.

16. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Yes, I loved the Rambler's clean tone, the best I've ever had. I just understood that in a live situation, I need the british high-mids. The Rambler with some nice pedals will give you an amazing fat solo tone but no tight, crunchy rhythms. I wish I could keep the Rambler but I cannot, it has to go in order to purchase an Aiken.

The model I am thinking about is the Intruder. I think that if I set it for a plexi like crunch tone, a couple of quality boost pedals will do the trick. I am thinking about the 30 watt head and a Bogner 1x12.

17. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

So will the Aikens do the Landau - Hendrix thing when boosted?

18. tuna

tuna Member

I have the 18 Watt Invader with 1-12 Aiken Cab and his version of the Greenback. I love this amp and the tones I get out of it. I do not play out, but this is a loud amp. I bought a Fulltone OCD for my Carr Rambler and this pedal does well in front of the Invader also. Alot of guys like the Intruder 30 watt 'cause of the EL-34's. I bought the Invader for the attenuator. I traded a Fender 57 Tweed Twin reissue for the Invader and have never regreted it at all.

19. reaiken

reaiken Member

Wow, where'd all those rumors start???

The correct answer, of course, is (4).

Randall Aiken

20. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Well Randall, I hope you'll be around here for a long while and greatly enjoy whatever it is you decide to do.

BTW, welcome to Florida!
    :dude

Maybe you can help us keep the hurricanes at bay this summer?:AOK