Aiken Intruder question re 6V6`s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gooma, Nov 11, 2005.

1. gooma

gooma Member

I`m lucky enough to have just aquired an Aiken Intruder 30 watt head :)
    Wow this is one fine amp, perfect for my style.
    I have some new JJ 6V6`s laying around,
    just wandering what i should set the bias for with these tubes,
    (i know the recomended EL 34 bias is 45-50ma with a max of 60ma)
    also would i need to change the impendance i`m running with my 8 ohm cab.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Brad ;)

2. reaiken

reaiken Member

Set the bias no higher than 35mA (35mV on the test jacks). I'd start with somewhere around 30mA.

You can try setting the impedance selector to 8 ohms when using a 16 ohm cab, or to 4 ohms when running an 8 ohm cab if you like. You may like the tone better, you may not. It won't hurt anything either way.

I did have one customer who put in some 6V6s in an Intruder and they killed the rectifiers in the HV supply (it started blowing fuses after he swapped the tubes), but I'm fairly certain that was due to a bad tube. Unfortunately, he was outside the US, so I didn't get a chance to look at the amp. It was fine after he replaced the rectifiers and tubes.

I hope you enjoy your amp!

Thanks,

Randall Aiken

3. gooma

gooma Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond Randall, i`ll give your suggestions a shot today.
    Now thats pretty cool getting a response directly from the creator of these fine amps :D

I`ve only had this amp for a day but so far it`s the perfect amp for my tastes.

Thanx for making such a cool amp :dude

Brad

4. s_brink

s_brink Member

If you would, post your impressions of the amp with 6V6s versus the EL34s. I've thought about trying that myself.

5. reaiken

reaiken Member

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the nice comments!

Oh, and don't forget to download the user's manual from the website here:

http://www.aikenamps.com/IntruderMKIIManual.pdf

Randall Aiken

6. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Awww man - I was a good guy and included it :D

Also ramped the bias down from 79 as it showed up to me to a more acceptable 55.

Glad you're enjoying the amp Brad , I'm looking forward to MY next Aiken creation :dude

Steve E

7. gooma

gooma Member

Steve i`m pretty much in tone heaven right now :D gawd this amp sounds nice.

For those out there looking to buy/sell/trade i cant speak highly enough of (Velcro-Fly) Steve E.
    In this day and age of scams etc it`s nice to know there are some super cool honest guys out there too. Thanks dude :D

8. gooma

gooma Member

Sure thing :) to be honest i havent really spent more than 10 mins with the EL34`s, i have been running the 6V6`s all day today tho. The amp sounds great running these tubes, i`ll pop some EL34`s back in there tommorow and see if there is much difference in tone/volume.
    I`ll report back with my thoughts.
    Brad

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Brad, what's the serial number of your Intruder? (just wondering if it was the one I had)

10. gooma

gooma Member

Hey riffmeister, it`s serial # 00012, it`s Black tolex with a blue cloth insert on the front. Is this yours? :)

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Nope......I was kinda wishing it were, though.......Australia is a neat place for Aiken amps to reside. :)

12. gooma

gooma Member

Played a few hrs today with the 6V6`s and EL 34`s, both JJ`s, had the master 3/4 the way up, both volumes @ 1 o`clock.

The amp sounds great with the 6V6`s no question, but it has more growl and is a tad meaner with the EL 34`s. There isnt a heck of a lot in it and you may even prefer 6V6`s. For me though i`m going to run with the EL 34`s.

The more i play this amp the more i like it :D I have a Mojave Scorpian here as well, it`s a long story but it`s up for grabs on the Amp emporium. I cant pick a winner between the two tone wise, the Aiken has such a good master volume tho and sounds better at low volumes.

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Well that's a big suprise..... :dude

Steve E

14. gooma

gooma Member

LMAO :D yeah its addictive Steve, i cant stay away from this amp. I`m having second thoughts on selling the scorpian too, just spent a few hrs this afternoon cranking it a little, It comes into it`s own at higher volumes, i`ll need grief councelling if it does sell.

Brad

15. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

like a story.haha. just want to search some info about Aiken amp, saw this thread...

now, I got this amp with serial 00012. from Autralia, America...to China now.

Really amazing amp!!!:dude