Aiken Intruder vs Invader, Masonette, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mykljpao, Dec 5, 2005.

1. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

I have a NOS Aiken Intruder on the way from Midtown Music. Anyone have experience comparing this to a Germino Masonette, Aiken's Invader or the Reinhardt amps?? Also, any owners with comments on the Intruder? Nothing like putting the cart before the horse, eh? lol

Thanks
    Michael

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Liked my Intruder enough that I had to send it Australia so somebody else could check it out :p

Actually, sold it, realized that was big mistake and thankfully was able to get it back....Awesome amp.

I've got the 30 watt version...As far as I know the only differences between the Intruder / Invader at 30 watts are : reverb / attenuator / line out on the Invader vs. no reverb / master volume / no line out on the Intruder. I've owned a Sabre too and I'm the pipeline for a Corsair.....

You're going to love the amp. Never played a Masonette - but it's on my GAS list too.

Steve E

3. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

This is also the 30 watt version. One of the things that sold me on it (on paper at least) is that you can switch out the el 34's for 6v6's (which is what the Masonette runs). I don't have a 6v6 amp and this would fit the bill. External bias points should make that a breeze. I was really looking for an invader but didn't locate one until after I had pulled the trigger on the Intruder. I've heard that the master vol is one of the best. Hoping that's true because I happen to like MV amps (My Shiva and Fuchs ods, and soon to arrive tds have great MV's). The 30 watts with MV should make it a little more versatile than 18 watts out of the Invader.

I also like the idea of the internally jumpered channels.

Thinking about a picoverb to pop in the effects loop for a little ambiance. Still not used to amps without 'verb, lol.

Thanks for the reply.
    Michael

4. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

...both great amps, but if I could have one back it would be the Intruder. Mine was the 30W, and the extra heft made it an excellent gigging power, the Masonette was plenty loud too but I'm less fond of the sound of cranked 6V6 tubes. The relatively small size of the Intruder is great, and the cosmetics are really nice. Great amp, you'll dig it! -Guy

5. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

[​IMG]

Both great amps the Invader and Masonette. The Masonette was more in line with my personal tastes.

6. sssmile

sssmile Member

The Invader was the cream of the crop. External bias points, amazing reverb. I was never a reverb fan until I got the invader. This reverb is just awesome. 18 watts is screaming loud. I love EL84's imo they are the best tube on the planet. I was never a fan of master volumes but the built in attenuator is the bomb. To me the invader was the best of the bunch. I am looking to buy a backup please sell me one quick before these hit ridiculous prices :)

Pj

7. Ras

Ras Guest

Invader 18 watter all the way.
    That amp is one of the only boutique
    amps that truely impressed me.
    The masonette was a dissappointing.
    The Invader was a killer amp.
    There was one at Makin Music probably
    long long gone now but that amp
    ate every amp at the store for breakfast
    Goodluck Finding one since I don't
    think they are being built anymore.
    Don't quote me on that.

8. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

I too favor the 18 invader. I suggest you buy them all :)

p.s. if you don't like the invader sell it to me
    :dude

9. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I didn't find the Invader dissappointing, but I did like the tone from the Masonette to my liking. Greg, like Randall, build fine amps, and I'm very surprised to hear anyone say that the Masonette was dissappointing... that's a pretty strong statement considering that Greg is one of the finest builders around.

Can you be a little more specific as to what you found disappointing?

I A/B'd the Invader and the Masonette side-by-side and I found them to both deliver the Plexi like tone... I just preferred the Masonette. But I would never say that an Aiken was disappointing....

10. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I've had 'em both (along with many other Aikens and Germinos...) and they are very different amps IMO. The Aikens in many ways are very cool and the voicing is just beautiful. Even made the neck pickup in my Les Pauls clear! Just like an old Marshall does. Randall is a great guy. Having said that, the Aikens just don't give you the controlled harmonic feedback wailing tone that the Germino's will. Big difference there for me anyway YMMV.... I ended up keeping all 3 of my Germinos and selling all 4 of my Aikens.

11. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Hey MickRonson -

What kind of pedals are you running with your Intruder ? Also - what settings are you using on the amp?

Thanks ~
    Steve E

12. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I had a 30W Invader MkII and an 30W Intruder. Close call, but my vote goes to the Invader.

13. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

So my Intruder got back from her West Oz vacation and found this waiting for her to sit on :

[​IMG]

Matching Swanson mini 2x12 w/ CabMojo switching system.....I can't tell you how good it sounds since I've yet to load it up - but it looks just sexy as all hell :Devil Super cool little package with the smallbox head and small mini slant cab...

Steve E

14. Wayne

Wayne Member

+1 for the Invader, particularly the 1st version, the Mk I. The only Aiken amp with a speaker emulating, balanced line out.

Wayne

15. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I am not Mick but I have a 30 watt intruder.. The Barber LTD works wonderful with it.. the RC booster sounds terrible with it.. the Barber Direct Drive didnt work too well with it but for some odd reason my Direct Drive SS sounds great with it. Fuzz pedals (sunface in particular ) sound good with it.. as well as the beano boost. LTD seems to be the best at taking the gain structure of the amp and kicking it up a notch. Great amp.. I had a guy ask me one time what kind of OD pedal I was using on a particular song... because it was the tone he had searched for forever... I wasnt using a pedal :RoCkIn