Aiken, Invader 18... again.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatback, Sep 30, 2006.

1. fatback

fatback Member

After going through most of the Aiken line at some point over the past two years, I've now found myself back where I started, with an 18 watt Invader. Randall makes some great amps and I just had to keep trying them. Wouldn't you know I'd get it right for myself the first time and not even know it.:jo

Here's a short clip of me hitting a few chords on my Grosh set-neck direct into the Invader in the "VAR" attenuater range, (apartment level,) and through a single 10" Weber Blue Pup.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4495834014024679581

Not bad for low volume crunch, but through a 4x12 at my studio and without any attenuation, this amp absolutley rips. It's good to be back.:D

the Purple People Eater.
    [​IMG]
    (the Purple Plexi pedal wasn't used in the clip, but just wanted to hang with it's big bro. ;) )

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

sweetness,,,,,,,,,very nice.

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

please dont take this the wrong way.......................im very very interested in hearing sweet 18 watt heads and combos but your vid clip didnt really illustrate the tones that amp is capable of, id dearly love to hear stuff like since ive been lovin you (led zep) , black magic woman (peter green), anything by santana , anything by robben ford, bit of zz top ................im sure you know what music im referring to.

im really hoping you can oblige me on this one, im sure that is one KILLER 18 watter you have there dude.

jimmy

4. spence

spence Member

Hey Fatback,
    I did the same thing. I sold one then realized I made a big mistake. I found another and bought it right away. I had Jeff Swanson build me a couple of matching 1x12 cabs. Man oh man! The Invader is just a wonderful amp.

5. onemind

onemind Member

Fatback, what were the settings for that clip, I find when I use the VAR setting OD sounds are a bit too compressed.... I have your amps twin by the way!
    [​IMG]

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Very cool! I'm a Sabre owner and I cannot get enough play time with it. Guess I was lucky though, at least for the wallet, as it's the end all amp for me. If I buy another amp, it will definitely be another Aiken, possibly another Sabre for true-stereo operation. I can setup the amp in a lot of different combinations, and with OD's on the clean channel, fuzzes on the dirty channel, the possibilities are endless. The Sabre is unique enough to be considered a collectors item. I don't even know if Randall knows how great his amps are, at least he doesn't really boast/brag about them.

7. fatback

fatback Member

Rock Fella, See if this one fits the bill a little better. I had some fun messin' with an old classic here, but I'm not really one for a strict cover... oh well... er, aw shucks? ;)

[​IMG]

That's a nice amp Onemind! I'm not quite sure of the settings I used since I've moved the amp since then. Part of what you are hearing is the open back 1x10 cab with a Weber blue pup. I would agree that the amp gets juicier and much dynamic as you back off the attenuation. Randall's circuit is great, but nothing beats pummeling those speakers.
    :D

Thanks for the comments folks and a special big thanks to Randall Aiken for making such cool amps.

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

On one occasion when I went up and saw John, I heard him pushing his li'l china through the Aiken/Marshall 4-12. Man, what a tone

M.E.

9. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I owned a Tomcat for a while and own a Sabre right now (and probably forever) but someday I will get an Intuder or an Invader (3o watter) too.

Randall's amps are crazy good.

I have some new live songs we recorded last month. The Sabre is rocking and I have to find a way to post them.

10. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

hella nice tone!!!

11. diofan56

diofan56 Member

I have two Aiken amps. An 18-watt Invader Mk II and a new 50-watt Intruder. At this point I am trying to get the Intruder to sound like the Invader as much as I can but I know there are many things that make the amps sound like they do. Tubes, power, master volume, etc.

12. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Hey Spence, good to know you have come to your senses.:jo
    You know after buying your Invader I did wonder what the hell was he thinking to sell a amp that sounds this good:D
    All Joking aside thanks my friend. I have been very pleased with this amp.

Fatback,
    Nice job on the Vid. Sounds good through my cheezy little speakers and I know what it sounds like up close and personal.