Aiken Invader & Celestion Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sharkey, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Okay, Santa's is bringing me Spence's 18w Invader Head :AOK Has anyone tryed this amp with a pair of blues? If not, give me some suggestions.I play bues, Rock, and some Modern Rock as well. I have the OS closed back Bogner cab with V30's but these can and will be changed if needed:D All suggestions are welcome.

2. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Well heck..you have my interest...I have a 30 watt Invader coming my way soon. I was interested in blues/bluedogs but Randall suggested greenbacks and indicated he did not care for the sound of blues with the 30watt invader..but I supposed that's a different beast altogether....

I sure loved what Guytron Bigtones 55watts did for Telewackers Ampeg Gemini I, and Guytron rigs...that might be another possibility.

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I had an Invader for a long time. The Blues were pretty good with the 18 Watt but not as good as a pair of Greenbacks. The Aiken Mojo 25 watt is a damn good speaker as well.

4. bobeau

bobeau Member

I have a 1x12 Invader MkII. Have tried a Blue, mid 60s Silver Bulldog (reconed), and the stock Aiken speaker. I prefer the Aiken. Don't get me wrong, the celestions sound nice, but a little too upper midrangey and not enough low end. The amp seems voiced for the stock speaker.

5. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I've got an Aiken Intruder 30 watter.....run it into a Bogner OS 2x12 with Greenbacks....

The combination of my Aiken Intruder > Bogner OS 2x12 w/ GB's > driven by my Anderson Cobra is just tone to die for :dude

Go with the Greenbacks or the new Heritage version of them...

Steve E

6. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I'm currently running an Alnico Blue Dog in my 18watt 1x12. It's smother, but it tames the aggressiveness of the amp and has a bit too much in the upper mids. I'm going to switch back to the A12L.

Blues with the Tomcat... Now thats another story. :AOK

7. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can't wait too take this little beast for a test drive. I can't recall every reading a bad review on one of Randall's creations. Trying out new gear seems to keep my fingers on the strings and inspire's me to improve my skills.

Has anyone tried the Greenback and the Heritage version of it?
    How do they differ? I'm also considering Scumbags because of all the glowing reviews here:D

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Well, as usual Randall is right.

I have ran Blues, g12h, and about every other speaker you can name with the Invader. Best is greenbacks in a closed backcab.

9. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thanks dbeeman,
    This is what I find so useful about TGP forums. While I know opinions vary on speakers,you and others have given me a great starting point for my speaker selection with the Invader through your experence.:AOK

10. FredW

FredW Member

I just replaced a Blue with a Scumbag H55 in a 1x12 closed back cab and played it with my tomcat last night. It is not quite as loud as the blue and I have more control over the volume. In my experience, Blues sound best when being pushed a bit and compress. The Scumbag has such a smooth top and tight bottom, I really am blown away by these-I think they are an improvement over the Blue for my needs

11. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Thanks Fred,
    Did you find that the Scummer sounded broken in from the start or did it take some time to loosen up?

12. FredW

FredW Member

I sounded great as soon as I put it in. I talked with Jim today and he said wait until they are broken in. IMHO it doesn't need to be broken in. Weber breaks them in for 6-8 hours before they ship

13. trucks

trucks Member

Fred,

I've been thinking about a Scumbag or Blue for my Tomcat. Sounds like a Scumbag would be better for me. Can I ask how you decided on the H55 out of the Scumbag line?

Thanks for your post!

Gary

p.s. Sharky, congrats on your Invader!

14. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Great. Let us know what you find out. Good to get different views and experiences.

15. FredW

FredW Member

Trucks,

I talked with Jim and I knew I wanted a bass cone. One of my mentors would always talk about a 20 watt greenback with a bass cone, it was like his ultimate speaker. I really like the g12h30 but it was a little to harsh in the high end. I also ordered an H75 but I have not tried it yet. The thought was to put both of them into a 2x12, but I couldn't wait and the 1x12 I can change real quick. It is exactly what I was looking for.

16. bluessyndicate

This is great news! I also have a Bogner OS 2x12...when the 30 watt invader comes in I intend on replacing the V30's with something....most likely greenbacks....mine is a partial open back...

17. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

I'm half way hopeing I like the Invader with the V-30's. I seem to be one of the few that acually like these speakers on this forum but I havn't tried many of the other's that are out there.

18. bluessyndicate

The V30's were great with the Shiva...I thought...

When I picked up my Two Rock gear I was able to A/B my Custom Reverb though the Two Rock 2x12 open back and the Bogner OS 2x12 open back.

I found the Two Rock cab sounded almost as huge as my Bogner (and weighed less)...but I definitely preferred the high end on the Two Rock cab over the V30/Bogner cab...I came to understand what people were talking about regarding the V30 high end shrill nastiness.... For that reason I turned off of V30's..although I will try the invader through them before moving to greenbacks.

19. bobeau

bobeau Member

I believe Randall's usual take on Vintage 30s is they void the warranty of his amps. :D

20. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I play a vintage 30 coupled with a Heritage and it sounds fantastic. I have a Tone Tubby Hempcone I am going to try out soon.

I want a Bog OS 12x12, so I am curious to see the replies as well!

M