Aiken Invader

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by std22, Aug 25, 2008.

1. std22

std22 Member

Just traded for an Invader and so far I'm loving it. Any suggestions for setting up volumes, inputs, tubes, speakers, etc?
    Thanks

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

No suggestions, but I agree, it's a great amp. I think it's one of the best Marshall-derived amps on the planet.

3. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

[​IMG]

I'm loving mine...still.

I prefer partial open backs to closed backs, because beaming of speaker cabinets not only crushes the ears off people directly in front, but also makes it hard for your drummer to hear what your playing. So, in terms of speakers, rather than using a closed back 2x12 with greenbacks, I use a partial open back Bogner OS 2x12 with a blend of Scumbacks H55/H75. Loving that..getting plenty of bass. Not missing closed back a bit. Others have suggested that green backs in a 2x12 don't make much sense...that greenbacks beg for a 4x12. In any event, for me it's all about partial open back 2x12's for tone and portability.

Tubes wise: Went with Mullard XF2 EL34's. Gravitated towards a Telefunken 12AX7 in V1, and Mullard 12AX7 in V2. A nice balanced long plate in the PI. At one point I thought perhaps the XF2 did not make that big a difference,...until I removed them, then I realized that I had indeed become quite fond of them (they are back in). Had all Mullard 12AX7 in the preamp, but prefer the Telefunken in V1 for some reason. You didn't mention whether yours is the 18 watt (EL84) or 30 watt (EL34). Mine is actually a 50 watter that Randall put together for me.

Using my Strat

Presence: 11 o;clock
    Reverb and Reverb Dwell 9 o'clock
    Treble: 1 o'clock
    Mids: 12 o'clock
    Bass: 11 o'clock
    Dark Volume: 12 o'clock
    Bright Volume: Maxed
    ALI/Plexi: Ali
    Attenuator: Whatever it takes....

I don't really need overdrive pedals in front of this....for a nice volume bump, or even to go from hard to harder...a simple clean boost works wonders on this amp..i.e. Xotic Effects RC Booster. Now for fun I certainly have put a Fulltone OCD in front...and it's certainly fun, but not a requirement.

This is a phenomenal amp, and rolls back into gorgeous plexi cleans.

There certainly is a lot of hype for a few other well known marshallesque boutiques...and to be sure they are fine amps, but my research before purchase and after purchase have continually shown the Invader to be my top choice. I think that the features of this amp are so well thought out, that no other marshall like amp compares. Other top picks would be the Komet 60 and Heritage Colonial (a true under rated sleeper).

Sincere congratulations on your acquisition.

BTW for reference, per Randall, the 30 watt Invader was inspired by the 1972 Marshall JMP 50.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  4. std22

std22 Member

Thanks for all the info. Mine is the 18 watt version as I am trying to keep the volume down and diggin on EL84's. So far it has been great. Not sure why there isn't more press about these amps like there was a few years ago. I know Randall has been keeping a low profile, but his amps sure sound great.

5. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Give Greg a call at http://hitestguitars.com/

he will hook you up with the EL84's and 12ax7's you need to maximize your 18 watt invader.