Aiken Sabre Clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jarrett, Nov 5, 2004.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I was late to the Aiken demo due to the Marshall-type spree at Randy's...what a day. :D That 1987x I picked up from (guess who?) Brian held some pretty good ground against the might 74, eh? The 6L6s seemed to give it a bit of glassiness on the highs, slightly different flavor. But that Empelx, nice. I think I have windburn from the Rocca, that mad dog has some teeeth. Thanks again to Randy & Andy for the brit flavored fun.

Had a few minutes on the Aiken...that verb really sets off the cleans on the Invader, nice amp. I liked the Sabre...only got to try it effectively through the Greenie in the Invader...bet it would hum into a 4x12 (and bring out it's potential better). Cleans are sweet...probably about as close to BF as you can in this type of amp with EL34 power. I like the voicing of the dirty side...on the tighter/warmer side of the spectrum. Thanks for Jarrett for sticking around that extra time to give me the test drive.

Ditto on Charlie's, get down there some time if you haven't...but that Brian is one sick dude...keep young children away. ;)

Greg

2. Brian H

Brian H Member

Tell ya what, let's load them up and do it again next weekend (minus the Sabre).

That's true Andy, the gear-nerds pay little attention to Top Hat. Can't figure that one out.
    Jarrett nailed it, the Sabre is very Top Hat like.

3. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

Jarrett - comparing the Shiva to the Invader, the Shiva had a lot more gain on tap, didn't it? Obviously, a different "type" of gain, but nonentheless, more gain - right? I have an Invader and have played Shivas, but never side by side. Just want to make sure my memory banks are functioning properly!

Lavely

4. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Brian, just a suggestion for next week's No-Spin-Tone amp fest: Should we have separate categories for big and small amps? I would like to hear some small combos (Pro Reverb, Vibrolux, as examples) and it seems when we get into the big OD stage type amps, the smaller voiced ones pale in comparison because the bid amps rule in volume and live dynamics.

Thoughts?
    Andy

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Joe, yes the Shiva did have more gain than the Invader and the Sabre had more gain than the Shiva. If I had some reverb to stick in the loop of the Sabre, I think I might prefer it over the Shiva.

Brian/Andy, I can't make it next weekend. I think my daughter has a horse show I have to take her too.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Andy, by the way, thanks again for the Tyler. I love it through the Invader and heard a lot of good feedback on it yesterday at Charley's.

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I like Andy's idea for catagories. I suppose we could do something like:

SMALL
    Low wattage Brit style
    Low wattage American/clean

BIG
    Med-high wattage Brit/dirty
    Med-high wattage American/clean

...but then we'd be there until midnight. :rolleyes: However it shapes up, I'll be there if I can & haul out a few goodies. :D
    Greg

8. Brian H

Brian H Member

Categories will be a good idea. I feel it might have been wrong to draw comparisons between the Invader and the Shiva; they are two totally different animals.
    To answer Joe’s question from earlier, the Sabre had the most gain-but little headroom, Shiva was next, and then the Invader. But they were all very different from one another. For low wattage bang, the Invader is hard to beat. Unfortunately, I’m a high-watt, high-volume guy. I base all my feelings on live performance only. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a true ‘bedroom amp’.

9. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Although I missed the festivities yesterday (thanks for heads up though Brian), I do agree that categorizing for these ampfests makes sense. Personally, I don't want to sit through a year by year comparison of Marshalls or which Fender cleans are best. Unapologetically, I like modern high gain channel switchers with effects loops. The more I try to get into the classics, the more I realize that the booteeks are making amps for a reason- they found a way to improve on the basic designs. Sign me up for a Bogner, Roccaforte, Mesa Stilleto, Guytron, Diezel, Bad Cat, Framus, Mojave, Soldano, Fuchs, CAE showdown. I'll bring my XTC Classic and an open mind. :D

10. Brian H

Brian H Member

Jay, you bring that killer Ecstasy Classic with ya.
    Jarrett, is Sunday better?????

11. martie6621

martie6621 Silver Supporting Member

Brian, did I hear you say you like Hi(gh) WATT amps? I think I may have one of them around.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Just traded the Sabre for a Tomcat:D At this pace, I should have owned every Aiken model by the end of the month, hehe.

Brian, not sure on Sunday at this point.

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Brian, your Custom 30, and 40 will ship this week,
    so the following week should be a blast for CGS!
    Don't play too close to any windows!!!!!!
    Doug

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

CGS?

From what I've heard from people who have stood in front of your amps, I could guess it to mean:

Concussive
    Genitalia
    Sterilization

by way of internal organ crushing sound pressure levels emitted from your amps:D

15. Brian H

Brian H Member

Doug, I can hardly wait.

Andy; you know I like good old Hiwatts, just haven't had the right one enter my life. I think the right Rocca is about to enter my life though.......and good timing, got a Queen show in a week!

16. straticus

straticus Member

Why:confused:

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

The Tomcat is very special.

But Bearcat, Shooting Star, Raptor or some other airplane would have been a better name for it ;)

Tomcat is too mild a name

(In case ya'll, had not noticed, Randall names 'em after airplanes and cars)

Jarrett, any chance at all you can bring it down to Brian's tone fest?

18. Brian H

Brian H Member

I never like to turn amp comparisons into testicular destruction talk. Bad imagery in my opinion, albeit true in some cases.
    Thanks for throwing Charley's the bone Doug.

19. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Brian, thank you!
    Doug

20. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I don't think I will have it by this weekend, but it looks like I am out this weekend anyway.