Aiken Tomcat vs. AC15CC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a chance to buy a Tomcat 1x12 at a good price. I've had the AC15CC on my list of things to buy/try.

Has anybody played both of these amps and know how they might compare?

2. jakins

jakins Member

I LOOOOOVVE THE TOMCAT! Personally, id way rather have it than an AC15CC, but thats just my opinion...i do believe it is substantially more $$ than the vox, so maybe not a fair comparison, but money aside, i love the Aiken...has a nice cranked marshall vibe. the built in attenuator is also cool for home use...

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The Tomcat is more versatile with the attenuator and the boosts. It's got a real Marshally sound going for it too. The AC15 has some terrific sparkle and some nice grind but it's more of a one trick amp.

4. reaiken

reaiken Member

I will add that I much prefer the Tomcat into an external cabinet, especially a 4x12. The combo is nice and small and very convenient, but doesn't really do the amp justice because of it's small size and open-back construction. The combos do sound rather nice with a good Celestion Alnico Blue, but beware - the last guy I sent one to killed it with the mighty 12W of the Tomcat. ;)

Randall Aiken

5. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I was wondering if they have similar type cleans and OD. I'm guessing that you maybe able to get AC15 type tones from the Tomcat, but you won't be able to get Tomcat type tones from the AC15. Especially overdriven.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Get the Tomcat.

7. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

Tomcat - the only amp I regret selling!! Although my AC30 is a great amp!

8. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I'm either going to get the Tomcat, AC15CC or the AC30CC.

If I get one of the Vox's I might also be able to afford a Bassman LTD, Deluxe Reverb Reissue, or a Tweed Deluxe Clone

9. Den

Den Member

I just put a Blue in the 1x12 cab I use with my Tomcat ... and really love it! I'll be careful to keep it under control ... but it sounds so good, I don't mind taking a little risk.

10. 57special

57special Member

If you're going to get a Vox , get the AC30CC - i suggest the head, as it is less prone to trouble. To me the Ac30CC sounds much better than the AC15CC, which sounds two dimensional and "small' beside it.
    The Tomcat is GREAT, though i'd say it's more Marshally with a hint of Vox thrown it. Classic rock tone, hard to get a bad sound out of it. The cleans are nice , too.
    Tomcat- ballsy, bit of chime, high build quality, rock amp with nice cleans.

AC30CC- bright, versatile, pop amp capable of very good rock sounds. So-so build quality. Vox sounds are something that get under some people's skin. If you are one of them, you won't be satisfied with anything else.I've owned just about every type of Vox, and this compares reasonably well to any of them, especially considering the price.

AC15CC- This sounds like poop compared to an original AC15. I never liked the AC15 RI, either. It can sound OK with certain guitars, i guess.

AC15-

11. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I'm glad you wote that assessment - I have always lusted after a tomcat but I was looking for more of Vox with a hint of Marshall rather than Marshall with a hint of Vox ...can't tell you how many times I've almost pulled the tomcat trigger

12. 57special

57special Member

it's a very nice amp, Rich. Very easy to get "classic' sounds.
    But who are we trying to kid? You might as well have a Vox grafted onto your back.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I may get clobbered for this but comparing a Tom Cat with a 15 is like comparing a Rolls Royce with a Ugo. There is no comparison get the Tom Cat.

I dont own one but have played the ever living crap out of one and absolutely loved it (Tom Cat). Dang good amps and very well built. :AOK

14. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

it's true...I do love those Voxes...but I keep needing to try other things...I am weak!!

15. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    Have never tried the Vox, but I love my TC. Thanks 57special! 12 W of sonic goodness, and Randall gives GREAT customer support!

Also, built like a tank!

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Another option if you want a 15 watt AC15 is the Valvetech Hayseed 15. Mine has just been completed and will be shipping to me soon. I chose the EF86 option for the normal channel so it can get quite gainy when using this. I'm looking forward to getting it. If you can handle a 5 month wait, you may want to go with the Valvetech. Very well priced.

taco

17. Denny

Denny Member

Can't speak for the Tomcat - but I returned my AC15 within 2 days - way, way, way, way.........to bright!!!!!!!!

18. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Custom Shop Fender Strat or the Sam's Club 3-pickup guitar/amp combo??

19. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

no need to worry about being too bright with a Tomcat..........combination of a bright switch and cut control will tame about anything and very versitile(sp)