1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Aiken's Reactive Dummy Load.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by James Freeman, Apr 27, 2012.

1. 7thString

7thString Member

Thanks for all the info!! If a Suhr RL comes up used on eBay I might just call it a day, ha! (Have had it before to good effect, along with the two notes captor; pricey though they are, so is my time if I spend several days planning / building my own iteration)..

Regarding IRs, I have done a lot of testing to figure out what is important and what isn't - there's definitely a slight art form to it. Having a somewhat anechoic room, mics you like and good pres seem to help considerably. Unfortunately my current music/project space is small and untreated so shall wait and see how the next set turn out with the new 4x12. Will post a g drive link to the result IRs later next week, provided they aren't terrible.

2. Mike Sch

Mike Sch Member

After listening to a bunch of YouTubes I really liked what I was hearing out of the Fractal load box. But apparently I'm not the only one, because they are sold out and none to be found on the used mkt. I saw some sold listings for used ones going for new prices. LOL, all of which led me to this thread and building my own. Fortunately I've done plenty of this sort of thing before, but I would have gladly spent for a Fractal to avoid building it!

7thString likes this.
  3. 7thString

7thString Member

Yep, noticed that regarding used prices and yeh it sounds great, you may have seen Leon's video comparing to the Captor. I should have lent him my Suhr at the time but didn't know until much later that he had done that video. It's weird because John posts on TGP a fair bit especially in this and other loadbox threads and points out the importance of simulating the cab resonant impedance peak, and that the captor (among others) has been shown to be flat (no peak), but for some reason the sonic differences don't amount to as much as you would anticipate IME, though I never had both at the same time unfortunately.

4. Mike Sch

Mike Sch Member

It may have to do with playing style. One question I wanted answered before finalizing mine is "does the reactance curve change based on applied power?" I did a test rig to apply 50W (used a solid state ADCOM amp for measurements) and determined that the resonant peak in particular gets squashed down quite a bit under high power for both the cab and the box (fortunately they track pretty well). So it may be that the dimed amp scenario sounds not so different while the cleans may be a different story?

7thString likes this.
  5. 7thString

7thString Member

Picked up a used captor. Now to try and build something that sounds better.

6. Mike Sch

Mike Sch Member

LOL, BUILD THE SIMPLE ONE!

I'm still fighting with my "more accurate" build...had to order some heat sinks (yes plural) since the all aluminum chassis isn't enough of a cooling solution on its own for full wattage, though it is plenty good for 50 watt amps. But darn it, if I spec'd it for 150W I'm going to cool it for 150W, lol. Hope to post a clip next week if I have time.

7thString likes this.