Aims amps . anyone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by japhy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. japhy

japhy Member

Anybody have any exp. with an Aims amp. From what I gather they were made in the late 60s early 70s .
    I found one today . head with matching 4x12 . super clean .
    2 channels . One normal, one with reverb and trem . also has a master volume .
    This thing was stuffed with amprex pres and a pair of GE 6550s. at the store volume i tested it with , it had some of the best cleans I'd heard with a ton of tight bottom.

2. Swain

Swain Member

I think it's an amp made by Leo Fender. Basically a Blackface type of circuit. Really nice stuff, if I recall correctly. And the $$$$ will probably be going up, as collectors discover them.

3. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Wow does that bring back memories.
    I used to have a pair of AIMS PA columns.
    I think they had four 10s or 12s in them.

Our standing joke was "They Aims to please"

4. japhy

japhy Member

Did you get a chance to play the amps ? Or were you there selling weed , or did you break in to steal stuff , or were you a gear freak in '72 checking out the factory.

5. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

I got to play a 2x12 100 watt AIMS amp in the 70's. The music store brought one by to my house in west Texas from Lubbock. That's a story in itself. I didn't keep it. Did not like the sound. Went for a Peavey amp instead. Wow. That was a long time ago.

6. Grubgoat

Grubgoat Supporting Member

I like old threads. I own a Dual Twelve (someone made it into a head unit before I found it on ebay years ago) that is my "main amp", just a monster amp. I recently got a VTG-105 combo (4X10), its getting refurbed right now. The tube setups on both amps are the same (7025 and 12AX7 pre, 6550 output), though Dual twelve claims 120 watts and the VTG-105 claims 100, I think.

I only got a few minutes with the VTG-105. But the I've used Dual Twelve for years, love it. Even at low volumes, its just got this *Punch* to it, really powerful. The bass is always tight and percussive. Its very hard to break it up, tons of headroom (but it CAN be done). It takes pedals well. I guess I like a cleaner sound, but I always feel like it "rocks" hard with distortion or none. Its a beast!

On both of these units, the tremolo seems weak. My tech said its a flaw of the design + age, I think. I don't use the reverb much, its on the hashy side, but nice sounds can be got.

The EQ's are the type where, if you turn all 3 down (Treble, Middle, Bass) then you'll get no sound. I've never even *dared* to turn on the "Bright" switches...