Air Fryers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kyle B, Jul 19, 2019.

Does "Air Fried" food pass the taste-test????

1. "Air Fried" is awesome. Use ours all the time

33 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. "Air Fried" food tastes like cardboard

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Have a Secura model. Works well for breaded shrimp, chicken wings etc. Takes up the counter space though and the Family size will only make enough for a family of 2 unless you are serving a 7 course meal.

Kyle B likes this.
  2. Stike

Stike Member

A baked/roasted wing is only about 3 fewer calories than fried and not even a gram lower in fat. Add in the wing sauce, blue cheese dressing and I'm not sure healthy applies at all.:rotflmao

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    fjblair and Kyle B like this.
  3. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of America's Test Kitchen cookbooks. They rated Phillips #1, but it was priced at $249. The 2nd rated model was $61 from Amazon, and that's what I bought. My only complaint is the loss of counter space.

Kyle B likes this.
  4. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Got one a month ago and love it.

So good for frozen foods like jalapeño poppers and cheese sticks and amazing for reheating stuff.

Fried catfish and hush puppies from Cock O the Walk. Reheated as good as at the restaurant

Krystal burgers take the meat off and reheat and toast the buns for just a bit and better than from the drive through.

I am
    Going to get a bigger one because my little first one is only good for about 6 buffalo wings at a time.

And yes preheat before adding food for best results.

But it works so fast for most everything.

Pork chops with any spices and add a little liquid smoke and it is at least 85% as good as a grilled one.

Kyle B likes this.
  5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

They're pretty cool little ovens.

But calling this a Fryer is dumb.

Words mean things, specific things.

Almond juice isn't Milk.

Tofu isn't Meat...

Bill Hicks was right about people who work in Marketing or Advertising.

6. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

^^
    Well, my air frier does a much better job at making things "crisp" than my convection oven without getting the kitchen hot!

One hack I have learn is to take raw chicken legs with seasoning, cook in microwave 2 min to jump start the cooking on the inside. then into air frier 12 min.

ToneGrail, Kyle B, MoarGear and 3 others like this.
  7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Definitely going to grab one! Heard many things from friends about these and now hearing here. Must try!

8. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Well 12 fried wings = 36 more calories :bonk

Okay that's not a lot if your right.

We had one of those small fryers. I hated using it. Filled the whole house with a oily smell. Totally grossed me out. Air fryer don't do that so I'm sticking with it :aok

Kyle B likes this.
  9. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

And the cassette tape! Music should stay in the listening room, with the turntable and reel-to reel. If you need portability, a simple am / fm radio should suffice.

Kyle B likes this.
  10. shane8

shane8 Member

i'd rather wok n roll

grill, MoarGear and VooDooClown like this.
  11. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

So, they really aren't anything like a deep fryer ? Which is an incredible hassle.

12. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Love ours! I've made all kinds of things in it, most recently french fries from scratch. Cut the fries, put them in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, mix well to coat with oil and season. Air fry for 8 mins at 400, toss and shake, in for another 8 minutes. They were spectacular, the kids freaking LOVED them. The kids are 16 and 21, so it's not their first rodeo, they were seriously good. Also done steak, breaded fish filets, wings, breakfast sausage, all kinds of stuff. Don't get me started on all the frozen stuff you can toss in there to cook like potstickers, fish sticks, tater tots...etc.

hi-fi-dave and NamaEnsou like this.
  13. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Do you have to use oil to get a good brown and to get it crispy?

I get guilt tripped into "oven" frying for my kids sometimes. If I minimize the oil, the results are not so convincing.

I use tricks like sautéing the bread crumbs in oil before breading the chicken or spritzing the pieces with oil before baking. To get it really good, the strips have less oil than real fried but still aren't exactly health food.

Is it the same thing with the counter-top gizmos or can you get good results without cheating so much?

14. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Tofu is only objectionable because people here in the States think it is a direct meat replacement: stick it on the grill and shove it in a bun and you have a replacement for a cheesesteak, NOT!

Put some effort and imagination into it.

Layer it with some tempeh, carrots, sprouts, kale and a 16 oz piece of rib-eye grilled rare and you have a healthy and satisfying meal.

15. hellbender

hellbender Member

The idea is that by spraying oil on the food, the oil becomes the cooking medium that transfers the heat to cook the food. Mimicking oil frying but without all the mucky muck. Sort of sideways souls vide. It's the most used appliance in the hellbender lair. Also, place on stovetop under powered outside vent or you'll smell like Joes Crab Shack and not the part people see.

**Bonus**

https://www.airfryercalculator.com/

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Kyle B and MoarGear like this.
  16. Vintage_

Vintage_ Member

17. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I don't find Tofu objectionable, myself; the point was that this Oven ain't no Fryer and no matter how you dress up Tofu or any alternative - it's not Meat.

I have zero issue with this cool new specialized Oven, it's just not a Fryer, and that the constant watering down of meaning in language is a problem.

Kyle B and shane8 like this.
  18. shane8

shane8 Member

[​IMG]

SteveO and MoarGear like this.
  19. n9ne

n9ne Member

Our air fryer gets used at least once or twice a day. We liked it so much, we bought a second one so we can cook multiple courses simultaneously.

AdrenalinJunkie, NamaEnsou and Kyle B like this.
  20. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Me too. But getting Angstwulf to cease the stupid is like getting Angstwulf to cease the breathing.

This close to death junk food junkie actually eats tofu straight up, no chaser for breakfast fairly often. My favorite Chinese restaurant is a Buddhist affair that uses tofu and wheat gluten to mimic just about anything. It just is damned good food.

But yeah, we're getting into a whole mess' o issues here. My crappy grammar on this forum aside, I'm really kind of prissy when it comes to how sloppy people treat English. Then I have to remember that it constantly evolves, hopefully in a meaningful and not idiotic way. (Not to get too political, but turning the labeling of "milk" or "dogs" not from a cow or pig into a misdemeanor is pretty damned stupid.)

Here's how I learned to be cool about it.

I love Japanese food. I get snooty when I see some of the "fancy" Americanized rolls at sushi bars here. And quite frankly, some of them taste pretty awful. Then I remind myself there was a time when "traditional" Japanese food wasn't so traditional.

1. Sushi as we know it is still less than 200 years old. A mere heartbeat in the clogged arteries of time. There was sushi for hundreds of years before but it was a fermented vinegared salted slabby thing that would gross out my wife and probably even a few cats as well. Refrigeration probably pissed off a few sushi chefs back in 1823.
    2. Tempura was an adaptation of Friday fish fries that the Portuguese priests and traders asked local cooks to make; and
    3. My adored, beloved curry rice is a slap to the face of millions upon millions of very nice Indian grandmothers all over the world.

So, I just stuff my face full of whatever looks good shut the hell up and forget to worry the semantics.

Bon appetite, TGP'ers and have a great weekend!