airbrake or hotplate?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steve10358, Jan 29, 2006.

1. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Whats the general consensus on the two? I have two hot plates now and kinda want to try the Airbrake and sell the HP's. Any idea which can get quiter w/ less degradation? Any idea which has less degradation period?

Thanks.

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I have both.. Flip a coin really. I like the THD has the inputs on the back. The steps on the Airbrake are last drastic.

At max attenuation, they're close.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I was at a friend's house Friday, we were comparing a new HW Marshall 100 watt and his original '67 Plexi. I brought a Komet Airbrake and he had a Hotplate.

After we messed around for awhile, he wanted to hear his Plexi through the Airbrake, and there was a noticable difference in the clarity and a lot less tone suck with the Airbrake. He is ordering an Airbrake on Monday. For what it's worth...:AOK

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

For live work, I prefer the Airbrake.....the smaller increments of attenuation really make a difference for me (increments are adjustable on the Airbrake, too). In the studio....flip a coin.

5. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Is there certain amps that like one or the other? I'd certainly hate to fall in love with both. I bought the Dr Z (not here yet) with the hope that I'd like it enough to sell the other two hotplates... I dunno!! :(

S.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had two Dr. Z's and the Komet, they sounded identical to me. Komet sells the Airbrake for $300 plus shipping. I would probably get the Z, better box and probably better resale should you not like it.

I also have an Ultimate Attenuator which sounds great too.

7. jimdog

jimdog Member

Definitely no expert, but it's my understanding that the Hotplate works better for some amps & the Airbrake works better for others. I had both, but with different amps, & at different times, not side-by-side, so I can't compare apples to apples.

8. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

I had both, and tried them side by side.
    IMHO the Airbrake was slightly more transparent at lesser attenuation settings, where as the Hot Plate sounded better at higher attenuation settings.
    I personally don't like an attenuators effect on tone, but if I had to choose one, I would give the edge to the THD.

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

Apparently it's a dummy load plus a separate poweramp, basically you could do the same setup with a Hotplate or other attenuator with line-out set to dummy load mode and run into a separate poweramp. This works better than using just the attenuator in my experience so I can see why people like the Ultimate Attenuator.

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I own a 4 ohm Hot Plate and a Dr Z Airbrake. I agree with everything above right up to the final conclusion; I'd give an ever so slight edge to the Airbrake. What both of 'em made crystal clear - a lot of your tone comes from pushing the speakers. Without that push, your tone just ain't the same. It's also worth mentioning - application makes a difference. On some amp/speaker combinations one attenuator will sound better, in some instances the other.

Peace,

jb

11. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I just picked up an 8 ohm hotplate that is pretty cool. I'm using it with my Randall RM100-S and it helps me to get pinch harmonics and stuff like that at lower volume so I don't kill myself. I agree with what was said above, you do lose tone by not pushing your speakers, and it is apparent. The bass response, even with the bass boost switch, just isn't there as much without pushing the speakers. You don't get that hit to the chest feeling. However for me, since I don't play live, it works out for playing around in my house where I can't be super loud. I would like to try the airbrake but I don't see the need for two attenuators! I wish I had a bigger (and soundproofed lol) guitar room so I could crank it to get that bass response going without worrying about waking someone or making the neighbors riot outside my house! :FM

12. jgyn

jgyn Member

I've been happy with my THD Hotplate for my Marshalls and Hiwatt.