Airbus A320 plane crashes in France

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wildschwein, Mar 24, 2015.

1. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

An Airbus A320 carrying 148 people has crashed in the Alps in southeastern France.
    French authorities confirmed the Germanwings plane was flying from Barcelona to Dusseldorf when it disappeared from radar.
    142 passengers, two pilots and four stewards were on board.
    It crashed in the Massif des Trois évêchs in the valley of Haute-Bléone, in the region of Digne.
    Emergency services are on their way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11491607/Airbus-A320-plane-crashes-in-France-Watch-live-for-updates.html

2. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

All are believed to be dead...no survivors.

3. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Not known yet. Emergency services are on the way.
    "The aircraft disappeared off the radar at around 11.20am, Le Figaro reported. The plane dropped from 11,500 metres to 2,100 metres (38,000ft to 7,000ft) in nine minutes between 10.31am and 10.40am, air radar services said...

The distress call to air traffic control in Marseilles was “mayday, mayday, mayday” and the pilot requested an emergency descent, meaning all airspace had to be cleared below the route of the aircraft.

The plane crashed at 2,700 metres altitude in the Alps, in the commune of Méolans-Revel, an isolated area of small villages and hamlets that are difficult to reach. Debris is scattered over an area of 2 sq km, according to French search and rescue."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/24/german-a320-airbus-plane-crashes-french-alps

4. hogy

hogy Member

Oh, crap. A friend of mine is a Germanwings pilot.

5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Quite sad. Perhaps it's the perception from the media exposure but it seems like plane crashes are occurring more often, now.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

It's been a rough 12 months but when you consider how many people fly in 12 months the stats are still good. Something like a 1 in a million chance of dying in a commercial plane crash. Media milks it for all its worth though.

7. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Unusual for something to happen at cruising altitude like this. Hogy, I hope your friend was not on board.

8. hogy

hogy Member

I can't find the names of the pilots.

9. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

this is what I thought, it was 90 minutes or so into the flight when the problem occurred..

10. Doodad

Doodad Member

And descended for over 10 minutes with no distress call.

11. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

12. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

Airbus planes have had lots of mechanical difficulties. I don't want to get on another one..Chinese parts and metal???

13. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Nonsense. Nothing wrong with Airbus.
    Latest is no survivors (mostly Spanish & German, many kids).....they apparently have a black box already. Being described as very strange, "whatever" happening after reaching cruise, fairly rapid cruise speed descent although not outside profile or off course, and no atc distress call, sounding like controlled flight into terrain.

14. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

My cousin has worked as a mechanic for American Airlines for over 25 years. His opinion of Airbus is that they are not as reliable or safe as Boeing.

15. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

I agree with the robustness of Boeing. There's just been something with Airbus that I just don't 100% trust.

16. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Silver Supporting Member

If there were a mid-air explosive decompression - or explosion causing the plane and flight crew to be disabled - would that profile be the same? I.e., no mayday and rapid descent?

17. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

It's been Boeing more in the news with their battery problems tbf

I'd certainly rather an airbus over a boeing although it's not as if you get to choose really is it?

Sad to see another plane crash, but it's still the safest way to travel any great distance and getting safer

18. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

Stats just don't bear this out. Boeing and Airbus are roughly equal in terms of safety records. Having said that, if I were buying for an airline, I'd try to buy Boeing first, having been a big fan of their aircraft over the years.

19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

France’s Interior Ministry has suspended investigation of the crash site and recovery operations for remains and wreckage until the morning.

Sure is tough terrain to work in....remote...steep.

The pilot didn't call a Mayday, controllers initiated a distress response when they were unable to contact the plane and saw the descent.

20. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

The fact that the pilot didn't call a mayday raises many questions in me, I don't think this was a technical problem. And airbus is just as reliable as boeing. This plane was either shot down from a jet fighter or there was bomb on board. IMO.

Don't expect to hear this on the news or to get this all cleared up ... ever. My 2ct.s