• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Airline destroys vintage guitar!

Stratobuc

It does, but come on man - you're gonna put a '65 335 in a regular hardshell on a plane? That's incredibly dumb.

.....unless you fly Southwest.

newking70

i heard they invented something called a flight case.......apparently this guy has never heard of them.

Guitarworks

Doh! Oh that hurts to look at! I'm glad they didn't show the guitar, but only the case. Traveling with valuable vintage gear is just...terrifying.

timallums

I'm surprised the guitar wasn't totally pancaked (destroyed) judging from the photograph...

bkatx

That's brutal. Do people often travel with the stock Gibson case? I always think of it as decorative. The few times I've had to travel with a guitar I have always used a heavier duty SKB case.

Not that that is any excuse though. Airline travel and customer service does nothing but get worse and worse each year :(

xntrick

Even a flight case may not be enough. My cousin worked as a baggage handler many years ago on the 3rd shift. He told me guys would have contests to see how far they could throw the bags, and if they by chance happened to break or open up the contents would be ravaged.

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Wow, that really sucks. However, if you're gonna travel on airplanes with a valuable vintage guitar, you'd better have a flight case.

pima1234

He absolutely should have protected it better, but he did try to buy another seat, which means he may not have been prepared with a better case or flight case.

bob-i

He absolutely should have protected it better, but he did try to buy another seat, which means he may not have been prepared with a better case or flight case.
I sat next to a cello one flight. The guy said he had lots of trouble getting 2 seats at short notice and had to fly at very inconvenient times often.

JDC

"Schneider says he asked Delta staffers not to check in the vintage guitar—which he estimates is worth about $10,000—and allow him to carry it on the plane and place it in an available space, as he did on the flight from Portland."

Looks as if he had planned on being able to carry the guitar on and at the last minute that was denied.

I have A.T.A. flight cases for my guitars just because I never wanted to be placed in that position. I've seen my guitars and cases handled like sacks of flour on more than one occasion.

I'll admit, though, I've "held my breath" a few times when it appeared that the only way I was going to be allowed to transport my electronics packed suitcase (power conditioner, multi effects unit, stomp boxes) was underneath the plane...as luggage. And..once you are at the gate what choice do you have besides either allowing it to be checked or missing the flight and the gig.

Fortunately, I've always been able to , somehow, get the carry on onto the plane and keep it away from the baggage (mis)handlers.

Trending Topics