Airline/Eastwood pickups?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Medication, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Medication

Medication Member

Been looking at the "Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickup" (It's under "accessories" at the very bottom).

Anyone have any experience with this or other Eastwood / Airline pickups? Thoughts?

Thanks

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I liked the pickups in the Airline Tuxedo pretty well when I played. Good P-90's. Not sure if those are the same pickups or not.

3. Prof.Fuzz

Prof.Fuzz Supporting Member

I swapped out the stock humbuckers in an Airline 3PDX for the Eastwood Valcos. Made a huge difference. The buckers were dark and muddy. The Valco repros are brighter, crunchier, and overall I'm very glad to have made the switch. I emailed the folks and Eastwood and got a special rate for a 3 pickup set. YMMV

4. drolling

drolling Member

Hey now, that is good to know. Those Eastwood guitars are great - Both my '50/60s Nationals 3/4 (reso & solidbody) have an almost identical neck profile, so they really did their homework on this aspect. Nails the feel of an old Valco/Supro guitar.

Definitely dropped the ball on those stock p-ups, but they never tried to hide the fact that they're 'buckers - And they do look exactly like the single coil on the National. The original's a cheap feedback & 60 cycle hum-prone piece of junk, BUT WHAT A TONE! And if your mic breaks, you just scream straight into the guitar!! About as microphonic a pickup as I've ever heard. Can you do this w/the reissues? And is the middle one RW/RP like a modern strat?? That would be very cool.

Getting back to the OP; I did replace the neck/bridge p-ups w/a used set of Seymour Duncan PearlyGates, which I got a great deal on. The stock middle pickup's pretty flat and generic sounding when i switch back & forth between it and the SDs

But I'm now considering springing for a Valco repro for the middle position. THANKs for the info!

5. markezgotez

markezgotez Member

the eastwood guitars are very good buys. they are great playing guitars.. and yes the pickups definatly need to be swapped. but after you swap them out, they are very good sounding guitars. they are definatly worth money of the guitar and new pickups. i really liked the 3 pickup mop w/bigsby. that was a very cool guitars.