• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

AKG C414 B-ULS

no1yuno

I bought one of these on the recommendation of a friend who does a lot of studio work as an acoustic guitarist. I love the sound of it but it sure is noisy. Seems to have a little too much hiss. Is this normal? If not, can it be fixed?

schwa

I haven't used one, but the C414 has a great reputation. What are you plugging it into?

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I bought one of these on the recommendation of a friend who does a lot of studio work as an acoustic guitarist. I love the sound of it but it sure is noisy. Seems to have a little too much hiss. Is this normal? If not, can it be fixed?
The Mic Pre is the first thing that jumps in my mind.

jmoose

Its been a long while since I sold my B-ULS pair but it might be normal. Their output level isn't as high as some of the modern transformerless mics which translates to more self-noise from the mic. They're also kinda dark, and certainly the darkest of the 414 family. I could see a situation where depending on what preamp its plugged into, depending on how much gain you need... cranking up top end EQ and bringing noise to a noticeable level.

rockabilly69

Silver Supporting Member
Its been a long while since I sold my B-ULS pair but it might be normal. Their output level isn't as high as some of the modern transformerless mics which translates to more self-noise from the mic. They're also kinda dark, and certainly the darkest of the 414 family. I could see a situation where depending on what preamp its plugged into, depending on how much gain you need... cranking up top end EQ and bringing noise to a noticeable level.
this!

no1yuno

I use either an API 512c or an API A2D mic pre.
From there it's light pipe to the interface (RME Babyface) into Protools.

Shiny McShine

Something's wrong. I had a matched pair back in the day (90's) and they were very very quiet. In my project studio (8 track tape), I was using Symetrix preamps wired directly through a DBX 165 and straight to the machine was well know for really great acoustic guitar sound back then. I also used them for some live to DAT stuff that was very well received at the time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom