AKG Perception Mikes

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by aeolian, Mar 1, 2005.

1. aeolian

aeolian Member

Just saw these pop up on Musicians Friend. Some entry level LD condensors. Does anyone have any experience with these? Or know anything about them? How do they compare with other entry level mikes?

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Bump - I'm curious too.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

How bad could it be? It's under two hundred bucks, and it's from AKG. Probably worth a try.

4. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    True, I suppose, but there's a fair amount of competition in this price range, as seen in other recent threads about budget LD condensor mics.

For me, I'm wondering how this would do with recording guitar cabinets in a relatively quiet (i.e., basement) environment, plus recording acoustic guitars and some vocals, and how it would compare to the Kel HM-1 and Studio Projects B1/B3. I like the roll-off and pad features of the AKG. Supposedly, the SP B3 (same price as the AKG Perception 200) has the roll-off and pad features too, as well as a selectable pattern, but there's at least one opinion out there that the B1/B3 aren't that great for recording guitar cabinets.

5. covert

covert Member

Considering how badly AKG's rep has been hit by the C1k-C4k series, and such things as the Solidtube, C-12VR etc. I'd be less than impressed by the name alone.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Well, first of all, for recording guitar cabinets in my opinion you're better off with a dynamic mic like an SM57 or many other models. Ribbons that are any good are higher in price.

Frankly, the only way you can find out about a mic is to try it. Simple as that.

>>Considering how badly AKG's rep has been hit by the C1k-C4k series, and such things as the Solidtube, C-12VR etc. I'd be less than impressed by the name alone.<<

The question to me isn't being impressed by the name. AKG is a worthy company whose products are worth trying out. Doesn't mean you'll like them. But at this price for a mic? Come on, I've spent more on a cable.

I've used the C-12 VR and it sounds fabulous on certain instruments (piano and sax come to mind), and damned good on vocals. I've even used it on overheads with excellent results. So I don't agree with the so-called reputation of this mic. I think the reaction is to its price, which is admittedly too high. If it weren't called a C-12, and if it were a little cheaper, people would probably have a different reaction to it. Just my opinion. I used a pair during a week of recording at Wisselloord, Holland, in their SSL J room, and I have to say, I thought it was damned nice. I also used it at a fine local studio and got a great recording. I'm very familiar with my own overpriced mics, and I certainly would have had the engineer take the mics down if they didn't sound good.

I also get excellent results with AKG's 414s, 451s, their headphones, etc. In other words, at least AKG is a for-real audio company whose products are generally pretty good, and not a company that merely rebrands Chinese mics, etc. Should one check out other stuff in this price range? Sure. Big deal.

Granted some of their offerings haven't lived up to the name, still, one has to actually listen to a mic to know how useful it is. And that means that you have to do some actual recording with it. At this price, it's a pretty small risk, and there are places that accept returns if you don't like it.