• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Albert Collins and Gary Moore

Decades ago, a former co-worker and fellow Gary Moore enthusiast came into the locker room with a broad smile .. Like the cat that caught the canary. I asked what was up and he responded "duuuude we have plans next month ... we're going to see Gary Moore with Albert Collins"

I didnt need to even consult my social calendar; i was going and any previous plans/obligations were about to be abandoned. We were soooo there. What a show .. Just plain fun ... they really had chemistry .. Gotta love Blues ... Blues and decent bourbon .. RIP AC & GM

I'm not terribly familiar with Gary Moore, although I know many respect him. I'm a huge Albert Collins fan. I saw him in a small club. He was louder than the Van Halen concerts I saw in 79 and 80.
I really dig him .. Collins is truly unique .. He is another one of many artists my dad turned me on to .. My dad was genuinely sad when he heard Albert had passed .. Albert Collins' music was played in heavier rotation subsequent to that day

Gary Moore had chops .. Big guns of the Blues community initially had their doubts about him .. Ya know? .. Pre-conceived notions and all .. Moore earned their respect and, within their tight community, Moore established serious cred .. Well-deserved cred .. In all honesty .. Moore can really lay down some Blues .. Check him out .. The cat can PLAY

Albert Collins was awesome. In 1991 I was in the depths of despair after a nasty divorce. Then came three days of Guitar legends on TV. Wow - did it open my eyes. Too many highlights to remember, buit this was one fo them, even if the video is mis-titled.....

Love the guy .. If he didnt feel it ...he didnt play it .. The real deal .. Nothing like the genuine article .. Class act

Rob G

I saw them play together live at a club in the U.K.
Albert had a great presence and was full of joy.

Gary was incredible, such emotion and intensity in every note.

I was such a massive fan of Gary's rock years (and Colosseum II) I was a bit disappointed when he started putting out his blues records, but I still enjoyed it.

I played in a blues band for years but still can only listen to so much of it.

And although I've since found some gems in his blues catalogue nothing for me matched the note choices and tones he got in his Celtic rock years with his superstrat!

Love Gary Moore; a Monstrous Player who, IMO, personified the natural evolution of the Blues as the form transcended the 60's and 70's into the 80's. Hugely influenced my later development as a player and I miss him as well.
Honestly .. When i think of a classic LP sound ..i think Gary Moore .. As in the Parisienne Walkways .. Performed at Royal Albert Hall ...

I jus' reeally dig this sound

mikebat

I love Moore, he is on my Mt Rushmore of players. I wish he played more single coil guitars later in his career. I think the venture into Les Pauls was a reaction to SRV and the wave of SRV influence in blues rock.

Moore is often over the top, both in playing and in the way he dialed in his tone. Regardless, he made it sound great. Moore, Beck, SRV.... besides all the rest of their wonderful qualities, these guys have/had a forceful brutish nature I love. And Moore in particular... he (and maybe Neal Schon) have a knack for really building drama in a guitar solo, up to a REAL crescendo. Not many can bring carry you on a journey (no Schon pun intended) like Gary did in just a few phrases.

In this song, Collins is awesome. His hollowed out tone is a great foil for Gary's overdriven strat. I miss they would not have muted the guitars between their trade offs at the beginning. Hearing those amps hum and hiss between their phrases makes it that much more exciting. But....alas, that is what is done in most studio recordings.... mics are muted when that instrument is not featured.

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
I have listened to this song thousands of times, but never knew there was a video for it. Still Got the Blues is one of my all-time favorite albums. Hearing it for the first time was like hearing Van Halen for the first time for me.

Doomrider78

I saw them play together live at a club in the U.K.
Albert had a great presence and was full of joy.

Gary was incredible, such emotion and intensity in every note.

I was such a massive fan of Gary's rock years (and Colosseum II) I was a bit disappointed when he started putting out his blues records, but I still enjoyed it.

I played in a blues band for years but still can only listen to so much of it.

And although I've since found some gems in his blues catalogue nothing for me matched the note choices and tones he got in his Celtic rock years with his superstrat!

Amen!! That Stockholm video is one of the best live videos ever AND one of THE greatest guitar performances of all time. I nearly wore out the vhs. The man was a force of nature around that time.

One of the greatest. RIP Gary :cry:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom