Albert Collins tele..........

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, May 11, 2005.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Who here has played one? I never had the pleasure. Another thread got me thinking about this model. You never see them. What is the neck like on them ? I love the natural finish.......is the wiring standard?Is the neck Hummer a Fender ? Thanks...........

2. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

I just remembered, i once noodled acoustically on a Albert Collins Tele about 5 years ago at Tom Lee Music in Hong Kong. I can't really remember exactly how the neck was, but it definately wasn't HUGE like the Nocasters. Probably true to a '66 Tele spec.

I do remember it was very light and resonant, and the natural finish plus the cream-white binding was really cool-looking and unique. It was also very expensive (US$2500+).

BTW, what i gathered from the HC review: The neck pup is some form of Seymour Duncan humbucker, and the wiring is standard 3-way tele switching.

You can view the specs on Fender's site:
    http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0108800821

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for the links..........:)

I was just hoping for some of the real first class info you get here instead of the basics on the Fender site or Harmony Central. I find Harmony Central is full of either new buyers who love it becuase they just bought it, or really pissed off people. Basically I don't trust them.........anyone can say anything.

Players here take their gear seriously and I trust their opinions . :cool:

4. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've played a few stores that I found good but not great, but part of the problem was set-up issues (a common problem with Fender Custom Shop instruments in stores), for all I knew with a proper set-up it was the greatest guitar on the planet though... good tone but not great, but again the set-up caveat....

5. Intelligentpony

Intelligentpony Member

I have owned mine since November 1993. Light weight and resonant, nice neck that plays great. According to the Custom Shop the bridge pickup is Albert Collin's spec and the neck pickup is a '59 Duncan. Keeping mine 'till the day I'm gone.

6. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

I've had mine for 7 or 8 years. As mentioned, light and resonant. The neck is a comfy medium "C" shape with a 1.650" nut. I really like the glossy finish on the neck and fretboard vs the satin poly found on many other models.
    The neck + bridge is a very unique/cool combo. Two totally different sounding pickups individually, but when combined the result is perfect.
    I can't remember if I had to do a set-up on it or not when I got it direct from the C.S.
    I do know I haven't had to touch the truss rod.
    You don't see many around. It's my understanding that Fender only runs them twice a year, and in very small batches at that.
    Gotta love the bridge cover with the space tape...the Iceman was the best.

Ron

7. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Exactly!! I've had mine since 95 and it is a definite keeper!

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Whoa.......thats what I meant with first class info!! Coming from you Ron thats a huge endorsement!! :cool: Explains why you hardly see them too. NEVER see used ones.

Thanks all of you for chiming in. I'm pondering a G&L bluesboy........thought I may wait out for a nice used AC.......but have yet to see one. Makes sense now.........

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

10 yrs huh? Thats really cool...........:dude

Again it explains why I never see'em used.......

10. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

It will be with me forever!!!!

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

What are you playing it through? Any recordings ?

Whick PUP position do you find yourself using the most? Thanks.........:)

12. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Usually through a Rivera Quiana Studio 2x10 combo or a Mesa Lonestar 2X12 combo. I'm working on some recordings and it will be a prominant player. I find all 3 positions useful!!