Albert Collins type tone, but more- what OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fantom1, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

I'm looking for this, but more attack/quack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvvf1R_vWo

(he played straight into a quad reverb, so that's why I'm asking for more)

In the attack of the notes there's a quack/bite similar to what you get using a wah. If you listen very closely there is almost a metalic ping at the attack and end of the notes. TS808 type pedals also have this going on, but I don't like the fizziness that comes after the the initial attack of an tubescreamer.

So what pedal has that wah-ish quack/bite, but with a thicker decay?

So far the Menatone Red Snapper is close, but the attack isn't quacky enough for me.

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

When I saw him he was sporting a TS-10 and a Boss digital delay with his Tele and Quad Reverb.

3. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Debbie Davies, former backup guitar player for AC, uses two 808's (one as a boost) and a Boss tuner through a Hot Rod Deluxe (she is pictured here with an insert of her pedalboard from a Biscuit and Blues show in S.F. about a month ago):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She also puts a shield in front of her amp to block the sound from getting straight out to the audience and cranks that HRD (she just used a table top that the club had - not pictured).

Pretty AC-like and great Blues-tone, even though she didn't use a Tele.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a dvd and I'm not sure if it's Debbie Davies or not, but it's a woman, and her tone is way different from A.C.'s. That's a cool idea about the shield in front of her amp though. I can tell a huge difference sitting directly in front of my combos and just moving a couple feet off to the side. That direct sound will tear your head off if you're not careful, so I'm sure the audience would appreciate the shield. Any pics of it?

5. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

[​IMG]

See the red table top and the towel over the Hot Rod Deluxe? The table top is about 2 feet or so in front of the HRD. To the right of the table top is a Grundorf 3 or 4-space case to block the sound from coming out stage left (there is audience seating there too). FYI- male drummer behind DD and way off to the left there is her bass player, a 20-something woman who can play pretty well!

BTW, you are probably right about the sound of DD - different from AC. I guess I was a little over-zealous about seeing her for the first time and meeting Albert Collins, but that's another thread and story. ~RR

For the OP - get a TS or Blues Devil for some serious blues tone! That will definitely give you "more".
    Check her tone out at about 5.0 minutes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMc1g3u4l4 ; not as bright as AC though from a few years back.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  6. vintage66

vintage66 Member