1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Albert Lee in my house!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dzeitlin, Jul 26, 2005.

1. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Well, even if it is only his namesake, it's still cool. I picked up this Music Man Albert Lee over the weekend. I've been looking for a 3 P90 guitar for a while now, and they are pretty hard to find, so when I saw this used one, I jumped. I've been trying to retire my strat, and wanted to get something with a few modern specs. I wanted a flatter radius, and bigger frets.

Very grainy southern ash body, birds eye maple neck/fretboard, Schaller locking tuners, 25 1/2 scale, 10" radius, 1-5/8" at nut, 2-1/4" at last fret, medium high profile frets, 3 MM90 pickups, 5 way switch, and the silent circuit.

The fit and finish are really nice. Neck feels great, like all the MM necks I've played. Feels very broken in, and comfy. Bends are very easy, and no fretting out. There is a business card size gap between the neck and pocket on the top side, but it doesn't seem to effect tone or sustain. The body, while it looks funky, is actually very cumfy to hold (both strapped on and on my lap). The guitar weighs as much as my 62AV Strat (probably around 7 lbs). The trem is very smooth, and strings return to pitch even after dive bombs. The nut appears to be cut perfectly. All the hardware feels and looks great.

I only had about 15 minutes to play her, but played through my Budda Superdrive 30s clean channel. I A/B'd Albert with my 2000 62AV strat. The strat has 3 Rio Grande Muy Grande's in it. I like my strat tones to be pretty fat with higher than vintage output, and the Rio's fit that description, but I always wanted just a little more mids/fatness. Albert did not disappoint. The MM90s had a little more mids/fatness, but did not get muddy, even when heavily overdriven. The middle pickup is very useable, which I never found on my strat. The in betweens have all the quack. The bridge has bite, but also bark, and the neck sounds very flutey.

I have (and have had) a few P90 guitars, and always found that they leaned a lot more towards humbucker tone than single coil. Part of that gets chalked up to the fact that all the previous guitars I had/have, were 24 3/4 lenght with mahogony/Korina bodies with set necks. The combination of longer scale length, and ash body combine to add a little top end and shimmer to Albert. This guitar really sits in the middle between hums and single coils.

http://david-zeitlin.20m.com/images/img_0717.jpg

2. CHyde

CHyde Member

Congrats on the Albert. I picked my first one up a few months ago after playing one for the first time at the Dallas show. I was looking for a strat/tele type guitar & fell in love when I picked up the Albert. It's the best of both worlds & is the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Mine is the same color as yours, pickguard & all except I have the matching headstock, piezo, & single coils. Rock On!!!

3. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

Very nice David. I dig it!

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

My P-90 Albert should ship tomarrow, and I'm very excited to get it. Got it here on TGP, gold with Lollars, hardtail. I have thought from the introduction, this is one the the coolest takes on the strat design ever. Alot of people think it's weird looking, but I've always loved it, even the original pink-burst that it came out in.

5. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I used to have a single coil model.I didn't like the raw feel of the neck.I had to clean it constantly.Other than that,it was one of the best Strat style guitars I have ever played.

6. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

That's one of the things I love most. A well played dirty maple fretboard looks so cool to my eyes.

7. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

I know other people love them.It was the sticky dirt on the back of the neck that bothered me.On a humid day,forget about it.The birdseye neck was absolutely gorgeous.I should have gotten the neck finished and kept it.

8. Dustin

Dustin Supporting Member

I played one of these yesterday at Guitar Center and was really impressed with the feel/ playability.

Any opinions on the active circuit?

9. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

All the "active circuit" does is reduce the hum. If you take the battery out, there is no tone difference, just a little hum.

10. Redbell

Redbell Member

Very nice I'd like to give one a text drive. I had a Luke Music Man but got rid of it because I hated the EMG Pickups.

11. aquadog

aquadog Member

[​IMG]

Thats a really cool guitar dzeitlin. May I ask what you paid for it?

12. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Welcome to the club, David. I've got 2 -- one hardtail and one with trem. Even though my suhr classic is my current number one, i can NEVER put these EBMMAL guys in the closet. There's just something about them that just MAKES you want to play them. Congrats on owning a woefully underappreciated guitar. One of the best maple necks in the biz.

Gary

p.s.-- If you find the neck gets too dirty or gets unstable, send it back to EB and get their superglue finish on the neck. Feels different than the gunstock finish but not in a bad way. It is very stable and eliminates the dirt build up. One of mine has this and i don't favor one finish over the other.

13. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

that's one sweet piece of ash dude!

14. erksin

erksin Member

That's awesome - I've always had a jones for one, but they don't come lefty...

15. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

$850. I probably could have done a little better, but it is pretty hard to track these down, and for the quality of this guitar, it is worth it.

16. CHyde

CHyde Member

$850 is a great price...I paid $1000 for mine & it was 2 weeks old.

17. toasteroven

toasteroven Member

I picked up a single coil version on Ebay about a year ago, and it's bonded with me more than any other guitar I've ever owned. That guitar, a cord, and my Zinky Blue Velvet combo is all I need.

I'll get an MM-90 version someday. Nice guitar, man.

18. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Thanks

19. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

Thats a really nice Albert Lee. They have one of the most comfortable necks in the series. Reminds me a lot of the Axis neck.

I have yet to play an EBMM that I didn't like. I almost bought one at GC but my practical side got the better of me. I recently sold a Luke but I still own an EBMM Petrucci that I cannot part with.