Albert Lee MusicMan, show and tell!

stuco

I've got serious GAS for a Music Man Albert Lee. If you have one please show us and tell us what you think about it.

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Double Platinum Member
Als are great guitars...the necks are a slim C...not tooo beefy

lettucecheese

IMGP1636.jpg

I love it, but hardly play it because I don't like guitars with middle pickups.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Brentrocks, I was hoping they would be larger than the typical Music Man small neck shape.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
The Albert Lee neck is small compared to a lot of other companies necks, but it is about the deepest of all the EBMM necks - it is deeper than a Morse. That being said, it's pretty close to say a Grosh medium roundback neck (which is .830" deep at the 1st fret) - some are in-between the Grosh medium and the medium/large (which is .850" deep at the 1st fret). However, they are also narrow necks measureing 1.625" wide at the 1st fret.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Okay - I dug up a photo of the Albert Lee I used to own. Great guitar, it was a custom order back in late 2006 - but Silhouette Specials work better for me so I sold it in 2007:

Close.jpg

A bit off topic, but here is my current Silo Special:

2010SiloSpecial007.jpg

Last edited:

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
Another great guitar I'd own if they just made a bigger neck.........
icon9.gif

candid_x

The Albert Lee neck is small compared to a lot of other companies necks, but it is about the deepest of all the EBMM necks - it is deeper than a Morse. That being said, it's pretty close to say a Grosh medium roundback neck (which is .830" deep at the 1st fret) - some are in-between the Grosh medium and the medium/large (which is .850" deep at the 1st fret). However, they are also narrow necks measureing 1.625" wide at the 1st fret.

Hi John!

I don't know why MM 1 5/8" feels a tad narrower than 1.625, as I believe that they equate to the same actual size? But to me they do feel narrower than modern Fender nuts, and the Fender has a little more room up the edges of the neck, which I prefer. MM strings always seem very close to the edge, JP notwithstanding.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Hi John!

I don't know why MM 1 5/8" feels a tad narrower than 1.625, as I believe that they equate to the same actual size? But to me they do feel narrower than modern Fender nuts, and the Fender has a little more room up the edges of the neck, which I prefer. MM strings always seem very close to the edge, JP notwithstanding.

Hi - long time no talk. The 6 EBMMs I've had have all measured 1 5/8", but some of them wind up being closer to 1 9/16" wide (particularly the old EVHs).

Fender currently uses 1.650" instead of 1 5/8" (or 1.625") as their "vintage width" which does give a little more room at the edges. And the modern Fenders (American Deluxe, American Series, original American Standards, etc.) are 1 11/16" (or 1.6875"). Now, according to the Fender website the current American Standards are supposed to be 1.685" wide.

candid_x

Hi - long time no talk. The 6 EBMMs I've had have all measured 1 5/8", but some of them wind up being closer to 1 9/16" wide (particularly the old EVHs).

Fender currently uses 1.650" instead of 1 5/8" (or 1.625") as their "vintage width" which does give a little more room at the edges. And the modern Fenders (American Deluxe, American Series, original American Standards, etc.) are 1 11/16" (or 1.6875"). Now, according to the Fender website the current American Standards are supposed to be 1.685" wide.

Oh, I was off by .025, of course! Weird how such a tiny difference can feel quite different.

Except, I think the new Am Standards are 1.650, not sure about Deluxe now, having changed their whole neck, but they may have gone to the 1 11/16".

Top Bottom