Album "Slippery When Wet" - does it suck or not?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Mar 12, 2019.

Album "Slippery When Wet" - does it suck or not?

1. Yes, it sucks

37.0%
  2. No, it does not suck

63.0%
  1. WildRanger

WildRanger Member

Due to Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi became big rock stars of the 80's. This album was one of the most commercially successful 80's albums and it spawned 3 big hits.

Personally, what do you think about this album, how would you rate it? From a musical aspect, does it suck or not?

2. B Money

B Money Member

Suck, no. Do I like it? Also no.

3. Dasein

Dasein Member

It only sucks a little bit because of the obvious contrivances - but it's pretty damned hard to beat the awesomeness of Wanted Dead or Alive -- that song there is worth suffering through the whole of Bon Jovi's career because we have that.

4. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

The quintessential '80s pop metal album

BenoA, kafka, Jimmy R and 10 others like this.
  5. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

It certainly does NOT suck. Listen to "Livin' on a Prayer' and tell me that song sucks.

6. The Funk

The Funk Member

Classic. Might not be your cup of tea, but it made them huge stars for a reason.

7. Dasein

Dasein Member

Livin' on a Prayer is an embarrassing contrivance with Jon doing baby talk enunciation as some sort of faux street cred persona to talk about Tommy working the docks. There's some great but over the top production there, solid music tracks - and of course Jon's super vocal career high-note highlight (which is why he is hoarse today) but it so lacks real authenticity or even real characters that I'd say it's a terrible song - like a cartoon.

I much prefer John Cougar's "Jack & Diane" for something a little more performance honest.... I thought Living on a Prayer was Jon Bon Jovi's hair metal rip-off of that song. He was also copping The Boss too here.

EDIT to correct spelling on hoarse

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

A slick, highly professional rock record that I have utterly no interest in ever listening to.

No "suck" - but no "like" either

9. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

This sums it up pretty well for me. I appreciate it's popularity, but there was always something I didn't like about it, and I think you nailed it. Plus around the time it came out I was more into Floyd, Zep, Cream, etc just before my slow decline into the Dead which would consume the next 30-ish years of my life. So the cheesy, keyboard-y, big hair, whiny vocal thing didn't really work for me.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I suspect the album opinion votes will vary most by demographics if the voters were in high school at the album release date or not.The album had a lot of radio play and MTV was still showing music videos at the time. Soon after MTV went to early reality show formats and cartoons.

Flyin' Brian, DIECHEATO and LordByron like this.
  11. Saxon68

Saxon68 Supporting Member

I was in HS when it came out. Enjoyed it then. Enjoy it now. I suspect a lot of the critics are the same types who say new Star Wars movies suck, because they’re over analyzing it instead of just enjoying it for what it is, entertainment.

12. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Trollers gonna troll.

13. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Well, Mary-Jo-Cheerleader gave it up after a date that included me taking her to a show on that tour, so suffice it to say that album will always hold a special place in my heart.

That said, I haven't listened to it in years and don't listen to much of anything of that style these days.

But it was killer, then. A bona fide Panty Dropper.

Jimmy_Rage, rauchman, HesNot and 11 others like this.
  14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I can still remember the smell of the cassette

jammwill, lcfparty35, Tim and 17 others like this.
  15. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

I never hated it and never liked it either. That record got driven down our throats back then, but to its credit, I never fully hated it. Its kinda like an extra cheese pizza to me. Strip off a ton of cheese, and you got something there.

PAH likes this.
  16. Bankston

Bankston Member

I remember liking Bon Jovi until the release of Slippery When Wet.

I'm just not a fan of Desmond Child's songwriting, even though it's hugely successful.

Coldacre, Donn Rowe and shadow mask like this.
  17. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

That album reminds me so much of my early teenage years and my life back then that I can't look at it objectively. Nor would I want to. Good times, good memories, big hair and loud guitars. Hell yes it's a great album!

Scanloni, amigo30, BenoA and 7 others like this.
  18. Stike

Stike Member

I don't think I ever owned the album. I always thought Raise Your Hands was a pretty solid arena rock opener. I never really dug Livin' On A Prayer but it has a cool bass part.

I always hated J&D. The harpsichord always made me think of The Addams Family and that line about suckin' on chili dogs was cringe worthy. Also what kind of losers are hanging out behind a Tastee Freeze?:p

19. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Lowest common denominator threads are common

Sam Xavier, BriSol and Fred Farkus like this.
  20. Sloop John B

Sloop John B Supporting Member

There's definitely no harpsichord in Jack & Diane, just very compressed acoustic guitars.

Also, they were hanging out outside the Tastee Freeze, so credit where credit's due. :)