• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Albums that should ONLY be listened to on Vinyl ?

Telejester

Real music made by talented musicians deserves to be be listened to on Vinyl to truly hear the music. Today I listened to ,on vinyl, the Grace album by the stupendously talented Jeff Buckley (rip) and what a listening experience it turned out to be ! From the sparse arpeggiated intro of the title track up to the flanged outro, I swear the hairs on my arms stood up, try getting that from CD / mp3 / streaming.

What albums do you think need to be heard on vinyl to hear what the recording artists wanted you to feel ?

EricPeterson

Real music made by talented musicians deserves to be be listened to on Vinyl to truly hear the music.
Huh, I would think hearing it live would be how music should truly be heard.

Today I listened to ,on vinyl, the Grace album by the stupendously talented Jeff Buckley (rip) and what a listening experience it turned out to be ! From the sparse arpeggiated intro of the title track up to the flanged outro, I swear the hairs on my arms stood up, try getting that from CD / mp3 / streaming.
I find the pops and and the scratches really enhance the listening experience. ;)

What albums do you think need to be heard on vinyl to hear what the recording artists wanted you to feel ?
Honestly, none. The mythical status of vinyl is reaching epic heights, it is a medium for storing music, nothing else, the issues with digital formats stem mostly from either low bit rate (MP3s) or poor mastering like brick wall mastering. There is nothing inherently better about vinyl, in fact, there is far more about it that is inherently inferior as a medium for storing music. Good lossless digital, that has been properly mastered is as good or better than the best vinyl, and is easier to store and maintain.

GA20T

I have a few that I still prefer to listen to on vinyl. I've definitely moved closer towards abandoning the format, but there are some that just sound fantastic through the old system for some reason (no scratches or pops). First that comes to mind:

uraniumwilly

I think Eric makes valid points, and I would agree with anyone who says it's a matter of taste, but there are many artists who disagree and think their work heard on vinyl is superior.

centuryx3

FWIW, the great majority of pops and scratches on decently maintained vinyl are caused by the stylus running across dust and dirt. A thorough wet cleaning reduced most noise considerably.

stevel

1. There are a few record albums with "infinite grooves" on the last groove - I believe Atom Heart Mother is such an album, as is Sgt. Peppers. Obviously, the effect of it playing infinitely until you lift the needle is somewhat difficult to capture on any other medium.

Those are the only albums that need to be listened to on vinyl to get the effect.

2. Whether they should "only" be listened to on vinyl means you couldn't put your 8-Track or Cassette Tape in your car. Because you know, the portable record player in the car was kind of a burden. I think, I'll listen to it in the car if I want, on Tape, or CD, or File, and if I want the effect of the infinite groove, scratches, pops, hiss, and so on, I'll use the vinyl.

3. People know nothing. Reel to Reel tape is better than vinyl by all standards of measure, except for maybe practicality. But people hear something, agree with it, so they form opinions based on that.

stevel

There is nothing inherently better about vinyl, in fact, there is far more about it that is inherently inferior as a medium for storing music. Good lossless digital, that has been properly mastered is as good or better than the best vinyl, and is easier to store and maintain.
And everyone, think about this: Did people record to vinyl, then just press copies of a master?

No, they recorded to a different medium (tape), then "converted it" (which involves altering the sound) to put it on vinyl.

It was simply a practical medium for music delivery for a while.

What's happened is, you're used to it, so that's how you expect it to sound. When it sounds different, you think it's "bad". I still miss the pops at the end of Stairway to Heaven I would hear when my local station played it on vinyl. Today, they don't have them. It sounds better, but I still "miss it".

But nevermind, you can't tell people that.

Telejester

You play your LP on an akai turntable, sure you will get pops and scratches, no biggie, you play your London something like a michell gyrodec and you will get immeasurably better audio and an experience akin to be
Hard to tell if stevies head is above her back or her front in this pic.

2HBStrat

......What albums do you think need to be heard on vinyl to hear what the recording artists wanted you to feel ?
None......I much prefer listening to CD's......

I find the pops and and the scratches really enhance the listening experience. ;)

Honestly, none. The mythical status of vinyl is reaching epic heights, it is a medium for storing music, nothing else, the issues with digital formats stem mostly from either low bit rate (MP3s) or poor mastering like brick wall mastering. There is nothing inherently better about vinyl, in fact, there is far more about it that is inherently inferior as a medium for storing music. Good lossless digital, that has been properly mastered is as good or better than the best vinyl, and is easier to store and maintain.
For once, @EricPeterson, we are in complete agreement. There is nothing inherently better about LP's over CD's.

I think Eric makes valid points, and I would agree with anyone who says it's a matter of taste, but there are many artists who disagree and think their work heard on vinyl is superior.
Those artists have the right to their opinion, too.....

The nostalgia is string in this one.
Strong, too......

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member

I get what you're saying about mythical status and epic heights - it is all a bit much.

But in regards to your latter remarks: have you actually listened to vinyl on a decent system? Especially albums that were recorded during the time of its prominence?

For example, early Sabbath and ZZ Top sounds incredible, far better than lossless digital formats, to my ears. Electric guitars in general sound more like the actual tube amps and are less hard on the ears, particularly on stuff like early AC/DC. It blew my mind after always hearing '70s rock through digital formats, even lossless.

There is also a 3D-ness to the overall sound that I've never heard digital formats produce. Voices and drums exist in the room like a 3D audio hologram. On some Zeppelin tracks it's like Bonhams kit is in the room with you and you can hear/visualize where each piece of his kit is sitting.

Anyway, just curious if you've tried it. It does have its limitations, of course, but for some things it truly does excel.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom