Alchemist demos finished!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmcerlain, Sep 19, 2008.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

As some of you know I was asked by Bogner and Line6 to do the first round of video clips for the Alchemist amp. I went to the Bogner shop in LA to film them with the super cool people from Line6 on Tuesday. I have had a relationship with Bogner for years so I was honored when they asked me to do the clips. I first tried the amp when I was with them at the NY Amp show.

So???!!!

It rocks! I think the amp sounds great regardless of price. It did not disappoint at all. I know, I know, "hey Jeff, of course you are going to say that, you are working for them"... in all honesty, if I didn't like the amp, I wouldn't do the clips. Back to the amp...It was hard to get a bad sound out of it ( I didn't try too hard to get a bad sound either!). Most of the time the tone knobs were set about 12 o'clock or so and that worked really well. Great cleans, overdrive and full out gain. No need for an boxes if you don't want them. But it takes pedals really well, my Jetter Blue sounded amazing through it. The boost function actually a midboost. The frequency is really pleasing and effective, it helps cut but not nasal or fizzy. I liked the verbs and delays Line 6 did a good job with them. Reinhold clearly put a lot of thought into the amp and was very particular about the part values and look. So much so that the tolex is imported to China from the US because he felt that was the one that looked right.

I did the clips with my Tuttle strat, my new Tuttle tele (hand delivered by Michael :love:) and a Les Paul. It sounded great with each guitar, I really noticed that the amp stayed tight in the low end at all settings.

I played through the head and 2x12 setup. The cab is open backed with a greenback and a g12h. I also played with the 2x12 combo that sounded excellent, it's about the size of a Super. I did not see or try the 1x12 combo. It is my understanding these clips will be on the Bogner site.

I know they want to get the clips up soon as do I so I can stop answering questions about this thing!!!!:rolleyes:

My only complaint besides not having one yet, is it's size. But I live in NYC and my main gigging amp is a Pro Junior so... that is my issue. The older I get, the less I want to carry. I complain about moving my Germino 1x12 combo which is a very reasonable size. Hell, I hate moving the Pro Junior sometimes!

Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts on the clips and thank all of you who offered suggestions on what you would like to hear. That was very helpful and I tried to cover as many bases as I could.

Now we wait...

2. stratasaurus

stratasaurus Member

Awesome!!! Can't wait to hear the clips!

3. Lution

Lution Member

SWEEEEET!!!!!

This amp is gonna rock!! I'm really looking forward to hearing the clips and trying out a 1x12 combo as a grab, heave, and go. ;)

4. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Cool Jeff! A new Best Buy just opened down the street, I'll have to check one out.

5. digital jams

digital jams Member

Looking forward to trying it as well :AOK

6. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

awesome news. I'm really interested in this amp.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up look forward to checking the clips out!

8. Electric I

Electric I Member

9. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Wise a$$ :BEER
    But funny,
    Looking forward to hearing the clips as well!

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

Can you now justify the custom shop prices now that the alchemist range is sounding so good.?
    For instance do you pay more than double the price for custom shop bogners so you can improve the tone by 5/ 10%.
    That's assuming that the custom shop amps are tone superior to the alchemist range?

What ya Skeeem seeing that I'm sure you've played em all.??

Thanks
    Rick

11. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

Seriously, it opened two weeks ago. I used to have to drive 20 miles to get to the nearest one.

12. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

13. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

What ya Skeeem seeing that I'm sure you've played em all.??

Not sure what you mean by this.

14. Ricker

Ricker Member

15. Ricker

Ricker Member

My bad here .......
    That is a slang word in South Africa for what do you 'think'....
    I forget sometimes I'm on an American forum....he he he

Cheers
    R

16. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

What current Bogner does it sound most like? Shiva, XTC, etc...

17. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

For me it falls more in the XTC classic camp, kinda. More gain on tap than the Shiva. I though the cleans were really nice. It is not really a nu-metal amp. The dirtier side is a modded marshall kinda vibe.

18. Lution

Lution Member

Hey Jeff,

Would you describe the dirtier side to be more of a smooth, but open sound or a grainier modded plexi sound?

19. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

I'd say a bit smoother on the gainier side. But the crunch side ( voicing 2 on the clean side) is sorta plexi like. Nothing sounds quite like a plexi to me except a plexi ( or my Germino).

20. Lution

Lution Member

That's what I was hoping to hear! :)

Thanks Jeff.