Alchemist hit or miss?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sugarlou, Oct 18, 2016.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Read some very unfavorable reviews on these and some not so bad as well.

Local retailer is practically giving one away. It's a head and it's under $400.

I asked the "sales associate " about the foot switch. He looked at me like I was asking a crazy question. He said "is it with the amp?". I said "no." He said "I'll look into it ." Never saw him again so I'm assuming it's MIA.

Are these amps any good?
    Worth $399???

2. jpage

jpage Member

I'm no tube snob, and I have several Line 6 products. I thought that amp felt cheap and sounded terrible. Obviously just my opinion but there are quite a few better sounding options out there at that price point new. Shocked that RB decided it was a good idea to put his name on that amp.

DeaconBlues likes this.
  3. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

It's a bad amp. I think 9 out of 10 will tell you the same thing. These are good numbers. My numbers are the best.

Dannyz and Scrapperz like this.
  4. sugarlou

It's a line 6 product?

5. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

This was an attempt by Bogner to enter the low cost end of the market. He partnered with Line 6 and things went downhill from there.

Scrapperz likes this.
  6. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Yes, if you open the chassis you will find all Line 6 PCBs.

7. B Money

B Money Member

first off, you can't give these things away, so $399 with no footswitch is completely unreasonable. I've bought and sold two Alchemists heads, both for $300 including the switch.
    I actually think they sound pretty good, especially the clean channel. I had two of these things, and the first one sounded better than the second, it may have had better tubes in it. Seemed to be well built with decent components.
    for me, the real achilles heel of these amps is the serial effects loop.

I dunno, I liked the tones and thought it was good quality.

8. sugarlou

I've been on this board for a while. First time I heard "bad amp"

9. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

Never actually played one. I didn't mean from a sound perspective but I've heard tons of reliability concerns with them. This thread isn't the first, 2nd, or 3rd time I've heard people say they couldn't even give the amps away.

Scrapperz likes this.
  10. sugarlou

11. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I bought one new on-line when they were blowing them out a few years back. Don't remember what I paid but it was much more than what your looking at, it was new in the box, single 12" combo. Initial thoughts was it sounded good, but build quality wasn't so great.

It became very noisy in a short time, ended up putting it on CL for something like $300. Ended up taking a trade of Blues Jr and a few dollars, but I was glad it was gone.

Did the same thing with a Egnater Tweaker - GG was blowing them out at $399, honeymoon ended quickly, and the amp went to CL.

12. sugarlou

I remember demoing one when they first came out. A combo. It wasn't bad sounding as I remember. I guess sound wasn't the big issue. It want cheap either.

13. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I tried a couple when they first came out. Not good. Very bland imo. The 2x12 cabs with the greenie and the h30 was a nice cab, but the amp was pretty bad.

14. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

I remember wanting one several years ago after trying it in an amp room. The 60 watt combo I believe. The "white" high gain channel was really nice and the effects were pretty good (line 6 mods/delays are good). Ultimately I think it had some QC issues. If you are looking for a "modern" version or something similar but better tones and build - check out the new H&K Grandmeister

Scrapperz likes this.
  15. demea26

demea26 Member

I bought the head and cab brand new when they first came out. I didn't like the head through the bogner cab. I thought it sounded a little thin and lacked body, so I returned it. I ran it through my 1960A cabinet and was a whole different story. I really liked it and gigged for about a year with it in a cover band. Nice cleans, crunchy rhythm channel. Didn't do metal, but neither do I. I cant comment on a long term review as I only had it a year and traded for a Mesa 2x12, but thought it was really good while I had it.

On the flip side...I played a used one a year ago or so in Guitar Center they ironically had plugged into a 1960A cab and definitely did not sound like my rig. Fizzy distortion, weird noises in the background when playing with the on board effects. So I guess there are some quality issues

16. lkft

lkft Member

I've seen the series of YT vids of the Alchemist that feature great players that can make any amp sound but they do sound good. I think the main complaints have been from the quality and reliability which is always suspect when dealing with overseas manufacturing. Reinhold knows how to voice an amp circuit though!

17. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

I have had 2 of them they sounded fine I did not like the effects the delay was dark to me. In great condition I would pay $325.00. I never had any reliability issues. they do have the Bogner mids to a degree.

18. knotts

knotts Member

I played through one at a GC while trying out a guitar. They had it in a back room with some Mesa cabs and other desirable names. I left thinking that something with Bogner on it should sound better. I wouldn't spend money on it unless there was a need for a backup amp, but I would think that $300 could go towards something a little more desirable.

Scrapperz likes this.
  19. Agiknee

Agiknee Member

I love this bogner. It sounds great with the treble cranked and you can get that sizzle on the high gain channel.

I've heard bad things on the reliability of the footswitch but never of the head itself.

The built in delay sounds very pink floydish to me. Not my style but it sounds cool.

My friend owned one, while I owned an uber. The clean and gain sounded similar but the alchemist just lacked the balls of the uber.

If it was cheap and in front of me, I'd buy one

20. jpage

jpage Member

Really lol? An Uberschall? Cmon, I've never played one but it's gotta sound a hell of a lot better than this

Slevin likes this.