alderbody goes ...swamp ash

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by alderbody, Sep 18, 2007.

1. alderbody

alderbody Member

I got the bug to build a swamp ash / maple Strat, total vintage.

From what i read, heard and listened i'm in the direction to put Lollar Tweeds or Blondes.

I never played a guitar with these pickups on, but from the Acme mp3s the Tweeds and Blondes have really captured my attention.

I want some opinions from people who tried/own(ed) these, on Swamp Ash / maple Strats.

I want to get as close as possible to the early 50's Strat sound and feel.

I play on a "blackface" twin reverb (the quotes are for the fact that it's a 1982 MV ultra linear), and i use ODs and Wah for Blues and soft stuff mostly. No high gain here...

I have to say that my ears are accustomed to WCR SRs, which i still have and will keep playing (till death do us part...).

So what's your verdict on these?

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

Does Lollar stagger the pole pieces on his PU's these days. Strat type PU's that have flat pole pieces have a smoother sound in my experience. I have a set of his PU's {DeTemple's} in my DeTemple {ash....maple } and they are not as raw sounding as the Fender's that I have tried with staggered poles.
    This may enter into the equation when you are looking for that vintage sound.

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

It took me a long time, and the ownership of 4 Strats (AV57 Mary Kay's, the first issue Strat relic, and a couple others) to figure out that there's something about swamp ash that doesn't work for me with a Stratocaster.....

jb

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Dead opposite of me. I've found something "magical" about swamp ash strats. At least the Don Grosh's that is. Fralin himself is a big SA guy. And isn't Scott's Melancon's Ash?

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

I just want to make an early 50's Strat clone, since my alder/maple+braz Strat with the SRs covers the 60's tone extremely well...

So any input on the Lollars for Swamp Ash + maple?

I keep listening to the Acme clips of the tweeds and i like them more and more, but i need some "real thing" opinions.

What tone caps do you use with your tweeds? (.022? .047?)

6. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm curious to hear these. Do you have a link?

7. alderbody

alderbody Member

8. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks!!! :BEER

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

Btw, does anyone (except Jason Lollar himself...) know if there is an option for a NON-RWRP middle?

10. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

I have several builds under my belt as you speak of. The tweeds are pure 50's where as the blondes are a bit more crunchy. They are both cool w/o a doubt. Call Lollar to see if he would wind one that way. He is really accessible and helpful.

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I believe if you buy them from Acme they will set you up with whatever you like. It's usually a bridge/neck/neck, but I'm sure you can get a set wound anyway you like. Mick Manlius will wind a traditional set -

http://manliusguitar.com

12. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Man, I was just down this road and I, personally, would not go with the Lollar's for what you are looking for. This is just my opinion and my experience, so nobody flame me here. I am sure they work for some people. But, in my experience, they are not vintage sounding, which is what you stressed that you wanted. I would check out the Fralins or the Suhr 54's or FL classics. I think there is a higher probability that they will get you what you are looking for. I would HIGHLY recommend Acme Guitar Works (no affiliation). Call and talk to Brian Reuschling - he has gigged with ALL of these pickups and can definitely help. Also, Acme will swap out pickups for $30 after you buy if you think you made a mistake.

Steve

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Alnico V's are where it's at.

14. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I just installed a set of Blonde into my alder strat, taking out a set of Fender 57/62's.

They are not vintage sounding pickups, but damn do they sound good. I lost a little bit of vintage quack, but gained so much more. Smooth, punchy with great definition. One thing I lost that I'm thankful for is with the 57/62 there was this high end crispness/harshness that drove me nuts. With the Lollars, its gone.

Great pickups!

15. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I just got a trans. blonde swamp ash/maple KLine with Lollar Blondes in the bridge and middle and Tweed in the neck. It is a nice combo. I have a set of straight Blondes in an alder/rosewood. The Tweed neck is definitely brighter than the Blonde. Due to the lower outuput, there are less mids and low end, but it is still a full sounding pickup. I am personally bias because I love the Blonde set, but the Tweeds are the lowest output pickup out on the market and should give you the clarity and purity of an early strat. I was afraid they may be a little thin for my tastes, so I went with the mix. I am happy with my decision so far.
    Overall, the guitar is brighter than my alder/rosewood KLine with all Blondes.

16. alderbody

alderbody Member

that's what i want.

this transparent airy tone of the early 50's Strats.