Aldi grocery store, how is their stuff so cheap?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TeleBlack, Feb 23, 2015.

1. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I've noticed they are heavy on the salt. Breaded chicken breasts are injected with a ton of water, but super tasty. Some of the items are absolutely terrible but a few things are good enough. Really cheap stuff. Hate the layout though.

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I have a feeling I don't want to know.

3. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

4. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Can it possibly be a good reason?

5. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I've thought about this too.

My guess; low overhead.

small stores with a minimum of (usually) store brand choices, with few employees located in cheap rent shopping centers.

of course Trader Joes does the same thing but with higher quality products.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Limited advertising, no inhouse bakery, butcher or deli. No fancy produce display with misting water. No coffee shop, draft beer bar, hot foods to go. Store aesthetics are institutional and utilitarian. Small staff, non-unionized. We buy several "staples" there and save a bunch. Although, meats and produce are purchased at a local farmer's market.

fwiw - Aldi owns Trader Joes.

7. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

A lot of it is also house brand "off" brand names, and the name brand stuff they get close to expiration date in addition to working deals with "leftovers" from suppliers and manufacturers.

Pay the difference.

8. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Owned by brothers too, if I'm not mistaken?

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I buy all my staples there. Also buy ground beef and chicken pieces there. But not steak or beef and whole pork. I'm a fan.

About why their prices are low. Low overhead costs and the power of volume buying (I believe Aldi is huge on an international level).

10. kasperjensen

kasperjensen Member

Not far from where I live there is an Aldi. Quite cheap for some basics, but stay away from most of the other stuff.

Also... Where it's located makes absolutely no sense at all. It is in such a prime location... For a villa. In fact... There is a massive mansion right next to it. The views are absolutely breathtaking.

The whole thing just doesn't seem right.

11. Greggy

Greggy Member

It would be interesting to list the "no thanks" items at Aldi. I'll start:

Aldi branded Cheezits, not that good IME
    Chocolate syrup, not bad, but noticeably inferior to hersheys

12. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Disagree. I thought it was quite bad.

13. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

We've had pretty good luck with Aldi. It looks low rent, I get that, but for low cost staples, cheap produce, and some canned/frozen goods, they are hard to beat. And it takes some of the "stress" out of choosing stuff at the store, if that makes any sense? Don't need to decide between 6 different AP white flour, it's just the one. Same for cooking grade olive oil, tortillas, sugar, spices, etc. When we live din VA we had a much broader array of grocery stores, and we were willing to pay a slight premium for Wegmans or Harris Teeter, but around here, the local chains are crap, and are stupid expensive. The fresh meat special of the week is usually pretty decent, but you have to watch all the stores, with their "Up to 15% solution" crap. It's bad enough you are trying to charge $6/lb for chicken breast, why the hell would I want 15% of that to be salt water? Sigh...

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

The real question should be why are other grocery stores so expensive?

15. nailbender

nailbender Member

We have one here.I would never go to them but the GF insisted.Check them out on google.They buy internationally and some of the stuff they have is really good.Some really sucks.Their meat is injected so I stay away from that but you can get some good deals
    there.They do import stuff from all over.You have to watch the brands your buying.
    I buy "some" olive oil and balsamic vinegar "
    some "canned goods as in diced tomatoes and things like that"
    Ice cream
    Some of their produce is really good for the price. Be your own judge.
    Some of their cheeses and sausage are good.
    They are an international company and their buying changes all the time but they have some good deals on some good items.
    They do check you out but it's bring your own bags or find boxes in store to carry it out in.
    We don't do most of our shopping there but stop once a month and see what kind of things we can find.Kind of like a scavenger hunt.

16. Doodad

Doodad Member

Aldi is very strange. One near us only because there is a Habitat community next door. The whole no name experience is weird to me.

Oddly, Aldi in Europe feels very normal and has more than one brand of things.

17. Greggy

Greggy Member

They need to crack down on their chocolate syrup supplier. I used it once to decorate the top of a cheesecake. Drizzled it on top in a decorative pattern then put the cake in the refrigerator. Came back 1 hour later and the water content had separated from the syrup. Made a mess.

18. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Ah...perhaps because they can and we are willing to pay the premium to shop in a comforting environment with buyer/fuel perks, porcelain tile floors, warm wood paneling, a full, hot food buffet, 40 kinds of pasta sauces and two aisles of organics and non-gluten foods ? Our Western PA mega-market is Giant Eagle, they pretty much own Western PA and parts of eastern Ohio. They continue to upscale the shopping experience and their prices reflect such (yes, I shop there on occassion - nice craft beer selections).

19. gigs

gigs Member

What's really gonna bake your noodle later on is, would you still have shopped there if Aldi's didn't exist.

20. nailbender

nailbender Member

https://www.aldi.us/ Caveat emptor They do have some good deals on some decent food for us that can not always afford top quality.